The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Repro Terminal Box Disintegrating! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318991)

Doug in NJ 10-03-2022 10:08 AM

Repro Terminal Box Disintegrating!

Hello,

The repro terminal box on the firewall of my car is maybe 12 years old, and I just noticed that it had a lot of cracks, and chunks of it were starting to fall off. Has anyone ever seen this before? It has had an easy life, mostly sitting in my garage, and not getting very dirty or greasy.

Bratton's catalog warned that the boxes they currently sell have the mounting holes a bit out of position, and you may have to enlarge the holes in the firewall to match. Is this known to be a problem with the boxes from other vendors? I assume that all the vendors have sold the same part from the same manufacturer for years...

Doug

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-03-2022 11:46 AM

Re: Repro Terminal Box Disintegrating!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug in NJ (Post 2171040)
Hello,

The repro terminal box on the firewall of my car is maybe 12 years old, and I just noticed that it had a lot of cracks, and chunks of it were starting to fall off. Has anyone ever seen this before? It has had an easy life, mostly sitting in my garage, and not getting very dirty or greasy.

Doug

Yes on several occasions.

Gary Karr 10-03-2022 08:46 PM

Good originals are too easy to get to even mess with repop terminal boxes.

BillCNC 10-04-2022 07:25 AM

I replaced my box last week. The older one was 5 year old and was fading fast. I accidently broke the body where the alternator/generator wire enters the box. How, I don't know. The one I replaced it with came from CW Moss and the mounting holes in the box lined up to the firewall holes perfectly.

Regards
Bill

Doug in NJ 10-04-2022 02:48 PM

Hello,

Does the CW Moss replacement box appear to be from a different production run than the one you replaced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 2171312)
I replaced my box last week. The older one was 5 year old and was fading fast. I accidently broke the body where the alternator/generator wire enters the box. How, I don't know. The one I replaced it with came from CW Moss and the mounting holes in the box lined up to the firewall holes perfectly.

Regards
Bill

rotorwrench 10-04-2022 06:09 PM

The OEM types were made from reinforced Micarta material which is a form of Bakelite that is still used for circuit boards and in aircraft for chaffing protection of cable control systems. The originals will last for a lifetime or more if kept in good condition. The reproductions are just cheap plastic by comparison.

Doug in NJ 10-05-2022 08:34 PM

I bought the old one from Bratton's 17 years ago, almost to the day.

The new box (from the same vendor) is clearly from a different production run.
I had no issue with the hole spacing. They lined up perfectly with the holes in the firewall.

BTW, I noticed on the receipt from 17 years ago that I bought a full wire harness (part #20360) for $29.95. Today it costs $91.40. What happened?!?

BillCNC 10-06-2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug in NJ (Post 2171429)
Hello,

Does the CW Moss replacement box appear to be from a different production run than the one you replaced?

The brass screw inserts are longer and embedded a little deeper into the plastic and the old boxes finish was shinier. My old one had more of a matt finish when it was new.

Regards
Bill

rotorwrench 10-06-2022 09:18 AM

When the price of natural resources for energy and manufacturing go up, everything else follows along with it. The term inflation is used to describe this but the term doesn't explain all the causes. Supply and demand due to an ever increasing human population is likely the main cause but it's not always the only reason.

Doug in NJ 10-07-2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillCNC (Post 2171806)
The brass screw inserts are longer and embedded a little deeper into the plastic and the old boxes finish was shinier. My old one had more of a matt finish when it was new.

Yes, that was my experience. A couple of the provided screws were a tiny bit too short to catch the threads of the brass inserts. Fortunately I had some longer slotted round-head screws lying around, which had the correct appearance.

Doug