The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   install the felt into universal joint the right way (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305465)

joda56 10-21-2021 01:41 AM

install the felt into universal joint the right way

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder, if I have to oil the felt with W600 before install it in the universal joint cap or if they have to be dry?

Joe

mercman from oz 10-21-2021 02:54 AM

Re: install the felt into universal joint the right way

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1634798433

joda56 asks "how to install the felt into universal joint the right way?"

Bob Bidonde 10-21-2021 07:54 AM

Nothing needs to be added to the felts.

Kurt in NJ 10-21-2021 08:08 AM

there is a inside part you do not have installed---it goes on over the u-joint and fits inside the torque tube bell has to go on before the rear and transmission are connected

Ruth 10-21-2021 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 2068750)
there is a inside part you do not have installed---it goes on over the u-joint and fits inside the torque tube bell has to go on before the rear and transmission are connected

This is the part that Kurt in NJ refers to.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1634825459

joda56 10-22-2021 02:25 AM

THX a lot Kurt and Ruth!!!

I bought my 1929 Phaeton 3 month ago and thought it was a bargain. And I was right. But the bargain was for the seller only. Everytime I do something on the Phaeton, I discover a new problem. Unfortunately, there is a great lack of know how here in Germany for the Model A. But Luckily, the Internet build a bridge to you guys.

At first I was puzzled because of the part (inner cap) that shall be missing. After I have found it in my Snyder's catalog with the note "not available", I searched the Internet for a shopping source (unfortunately no junkyards for Model a in Europe). I did not found one yet, but by the way I solved the problem of my Universal Joint Housing Cap, where the two upper side holes don't match with the Main Shaft Bearing Retainer holes. I already drilled them out to long holes in the UJ Housing Cap, so I'm able to fix it together with smaller screws, but still wondered about this not fitting crap. Now -with you set me on this trail- I found out, that and why Henry build different Universal Joint Housing Caps.

Additional thanks to Steve C. Plucker and his U-joint study. Very interesting and helpful!

If you know anyone, who sells an inner cap please let me know. I would change the Universal Joint Housing Cap to the equal hole version too, if the source would be the same (high shipping rates).

juke joint johnny 10-22-2021 02:44 AM

I probably have one Joda ,I will send you a PM

joda56 10-22-2021 03:59 AM

oops, because I do not have a minimum of 10 Posts, I'm not able to send PM. Is it okay for you, to write my answer here?

Bruce of MN 10-22-2021 04:58 AM

Post other photos of your car; I, for one, am interested.

rotorwrench 10-22-2021 09:38 AM

Bert's in Denver,Colorado and some other Model A sources have stocks of good used OEM parts or check the Swap Meet section. Most Model A folks have a stash of used parts if they have more than one A-bone.

The cap is what the torque tube pushes against when the car is in forward motion. It has to be there.

wrndln 10-22-2021 09:56 AM

Note that there are 2 types of both inner and outer U joint covers. The 6 mounting holes are spaced differently between the two.
Rusty Nelson

Ruth 10-22-2021 09:59 AM

Joe, the picture I posted in post #5 is of one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/32477346027...IAAOSwjBZg3MmI Not mine. I see them once in a while on ebay. If interested ensure it is the correct one for your car. There are two different setups as Rusty pointed out.

Y-Blockhead 10-22-2021 10:12 AM

Ford changed the design in June 1929, Service Bulletins page 350. The picture in post #5 is the older design with unevenly spaced holes. Good luck Joe.

joda56 10-22-2021 10:13 AM

Thanks a lot

First of all I like to wait for juke joint johnny, because he is located in England, which make the shipping a lot faster and cheaper.

Thx Ruth, if jjj don't have the right one, I check it on ebay. But when I look at it, I would say, it is the one with the different space holes. But now, I'm calmed to find the right one on ebay, Bert's or Mike's.

joda56 10-22-2021 10:21 AM

In the meantime I read all of the 14 pages from the U-Joint Study of Steve C. Plucker and come to the clue, that I need the cap with evenly spaced holes. For perfect I would also need the evenly spaced housing cap, but could use my uneven cap with longholes as long as I don't get a newer desig cap.

Pic #5 seemed to be an uneven space one for my old eyes, but I only have to ask the seller then. But my hope still lays on jjj

Y-Blockhead 10-22-2021 10:22 AM

Dupe

joda56 10-22-2021 10:34 AM

Dupe? Don't know, what you mean.

Oh, I have to complete my registration with my German origin and other things

Y-Blockhead 10-22-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joda56 (Post 2069112)
Dupe? Don't know, what you mean.

Oh, I have to complete my registration with my German origin and other things

Sorry Joe. Dupe = Duplicate post. I mistakenly posted the same thing twice. Early morning in SoCal. My brain cells I still have are not working yet.:p :p

joda56 10-22-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 2069081)
The cap is what the torque tube pushes against when the car is in forward motion. It has to be there.

Before the hint of Kurt and Ruth, I was wondering, why there was a motion inside this u joint housing, when I pulled the handbrake like I was pulling the rear axle. Now I know why (ah, I hope, there are not some more parts missing then).

joda56 10-22-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 2069114)
Sorry Joe. Dupe = Duplicate post. I mistakenly post the same thing twice. :p :p

Ah, good! My google translation told me the meaning of "fool, cheat, defraud" :eek: But now I got you :D