The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help with passenger's door handle/upholstery (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304825)

41panelmark 10-06-2021 11:53 AM

Help with passenger's door handle/upholstery

1 Attachment(s)
The handle on the passengers side door is malfunctioning and will not open the door. The handle inside works fine to open or lock.

I need to access the inside of the door to see what is going on but I am not sure how the upholstery is held on and or comes off. Anyone know how to do this without destroying the material and or?

Also I am making a guess that the handles can be taken off similarly to the ones on a truck correct?

Thank you in advance.

Kube 10-06-2021 12:40 PM

Re: Help with passenger's door handle/upholstery

There are a number of clips on both vertical edges as well as the bottom horizontal edge.
Once the window molding and handles have been removed, you will pry the panel with clip away from the inner door structure. I use a stiff putty knife located very near each clip.

Your door panel should have two screws at each bottom corner as well as at least one at the rear edge of the panel, very near the window molding. I do not see them in the photo but do not trust my sight too much. If they are present, they must be removed as well.
There is one more clip near the center of the panel that must be disengaged as well.

41panelmark 10-06-2021 12:56 PM

Thank you. I will give it a shot. Not sure what I will find with the latch mechanism.

Kube 10-06-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41panelmark (Post 2064149)
Thank you. I will give it a shot. Not sure what I will find with the latch mechanism.

Just a thought... to eliminate the possibility of the handle itself being worn, I might suggest you swap it to the other side of the car. If it works there, you know the handle is "good". If it acts the same way on the opposite door, you know the handle is worn.
Lots easier to swap a handle than R&R the door panel.

mercman from oz 10-07-2021 04:33 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1633539201

41panelmark is trying to repair his malfunctioning door. He needs guidance to remove the door handle without destroying the upholstery.

34PKUP 10-07-2021 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2064152)
Just a thought... to eliminate the possibility of the handle itself being worn, I might suggest you swap it to the other side of the car. If it works there, you know the handle is "good". If it acts the same way on the opposite door, you know the handle is worn.
Lots easier to swap a handle than R&R the door panel.

If the handles square shaft is so badly worn as to not engage with the latch mechanism, it would be visibly obvious.
Just pull the handle out appox. i/4 inch to engage fresh material and try to open.
No need to swap handles.

Als48 10-07-2021 12:35 PM

Of course you should be sure that you have the inner handle in the unlocked position to allow the outer lever to operate.

41panelmark 10-08-2021 11:49 AM

Thanks everyone. Here is what I found.

I figured out what the problem was once I removed the panel and looked inside. Turns out that the small screw that holds the door handle on had come loose allowing the square stock to come out of the hole on the other end. So it was not stripped or damaged inside after all.

I did lube all working parts while inside before reassembling everything. I also had a bit of trouble getting the window trim and vent back into place but eventually won that war.