The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Correct rumble seat material (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301946)

Stingray70 08-02-2021 02:34 PM

Correct rumble seat material

The judging standards says all 1930 coupe, sport coupe, deluxe coupe had the same fabric for the rumble seat cushion & backrest. "Black-Brown Cobra Cross Grain artificial leather".

I was under the impression that Macs/Cartouche is the only source for the correct reproduction fabrics but I do not see this one listed.

First question: does Black-Brown mean either black or brown, or was it a 2 tone fabric?

Second question: does anyone know of a source for the correct material?

Thanks guys

Bill Cilker 08-02-2021 02:57 PM

Re: Correct rumble seat material

2 Attachment(s)
Stingray
Here are pictures of an original 1930 coupe rumble seat material

Stingray70 08-02-2021 03:09 PM

Thanks Bill. Those pictures answer my first question and will come in VERY handy. Now, to figure out where to find the material...

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-02-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray70 (Post 2041998)
Thanks Bill. Those pictures answer my first question and will come in VERY handy. Now, to figure out where to find the material...

It is not commercially available. You will need to make it yourself, -or possibly check with Sturm or SMS Auto Fabrics in Washington to see if they have any short rolls to sell.

Stingray70 08-02-2021 04:21 PM

Brent, I just spoke with SMS. Not looking very likely. Who is Sturm? I can't find them. Do you have any? I was going to see if you had time to do the seats anyway

springerpete 08-03-2021 05:39 AM

I thought Classtique had the correct material.

chrs1961815 08-03-2021 06:19 AM

Sturm is Bill Sturm in Wisconsin who has been doing upholstery for many many years. His work has been on many fine point cars.

There are some other shops that do upholstery and can get any material very easily as they can get directly from the mill.

Stingray70 08-03-2021 12:15 PM

Update:
SMS hasn't gotten back to me. They did not seem hopeful when I spoke to them yesterday
Bill Sturm seems to be out of business. Phone disconnected
Classtique closed all week.
The only local shop who knows Model As (owns one himself) has no ideas.

Nothing happens fast when working on old cars does it?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-03-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray70 (Post 2042333)
Update:
SMS hasn't gotten back to me. They did not seem hopeful when I spoke to them yesterday
Bill Sturm seems to be out of business. Phone disconnected
Classtique closed all week.
The only local shop who knows Model As (owns one himself) has no ideas.

Nothing happens fast when working on old cars does it?

Truer words were never spoken.

Many folks say SMS has the worst customer service, but from my experience with them, they just have so much inventory to search thru and only a couple of employees, so it can take them a few days.

I am pretty sure Bill told me a few years ago that he was out of the Black-Brown material. From what I have seen, most of the other kit manufacturers substitute T10 black long-short grain material in lieu of the correct material.