The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Washing A Model "A" (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222545)

Bob Bidonde 06-12-2017 09:58 AM

Washing A Model "A"

1 Attachment(s)
It is not a good idea to use a garden hose on an original / restored Model "A" Ford because the doors and windows are not sealed well enough to prevent water damage to the interior upholstery. Even windlaces on & around the doors have a cloth upholstery covering that is prone to water staining.

To prevent water intrusion into the car, I use a spray bottle of water and a spray bottle of Turtle Wax Wax & Dry to wet the exterior paint surfaces one panel / fender at a time. I wipe this mixture off with microfiber towels. The resulting shine is excellent. I prefer the Turtle Wax because it does not leave a white film behind on the roofing material and running boards.

When it comes to cleaning the wheels, this is where I do use a garden hose, a soap such as Dawn or Simple Green, a terry cloth wash rag and a brush. To do a good job, it is convenient to jack each off of the ground.

I haven't found a durable product for use on the running boards. What do you use?

Both of my Model "A" Fords are closed cars, so I have no idea how to clean the top of an open car.

What is your technique for washing the exterior of your Model "A"?

1931 flamingo 06-12-2017 01:54 PM

Re: Washing A Model "A"

:DIt depends, mine stays outside, tyree sap, bird droppings, maple tree whirly gigs. If bad I hook up the hose, low pressure and then soap, sponge in a bucket of water. Six whitewalls (:(:mad::D), water wand Wesley's with a brush. Wash the rest from top down. Dry with an old towel. If "clean", a dampened fiber cloth and dry towel. Then spray Turtle wax (ICE type, no white residue).
Paul in CT

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-12-2017 02:19 PM

On runningboards, black tires, etc, use Lysol Biodegradable Kitchen Cleaner, you'll be AMAZED! It has some cleaning ingredient I NEVER heard of???
Bill BLACK

Reconnoiter 06-12-2017 02:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have been a lurker here for quite a while....figured it was about time I posted something. Recently completed my '31 Slant this past April, have 1700 miles on it since then...Ford Barn was invaluable during my restoration...thanks!

FWIW, I use Eagle One "Wipe and Shine" for the body/fenders, etc, and their "Marine Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Protectant" for the running boards....works great!

By the way...nice colors on your car!

Here is a link to some pics of my resto.... https://flic.kr/s/aHsktuTmVN

msmaron 06-12-2017 02:32 PM

Simple technique...WASH IT!!!! take it to the do it your self and just wash it.. It leaks so what I clean and dry it....done and done!!!

30ccpickup 06-12-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 1484832)
Simple technique...WASH IT!!!! take it to the do it your self and just wash it.. It leaks so what I clean and dry it....done and done!!!

Ditto... They use to make tractors out of these cars we treat with such care :)

Fred K-OR 06-12-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reconnoiter (Post 1484823)
I have been a lurker here for quite a while....figured it was about time I posted something. Recently completed my '31 Slant this past April, have 1700 miles on it since then...Ford Barn was invaluable during my restoration...thanks!

FWIW, I use Eagle One "Wipe and Shine" for the body/fenders, etc, and their "Marine Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Protectant" for the running boards....works great!

By the way...nice colors on your car!

Here is a link to some pics of my resto.... https://flic.kr/s/aHsktuTmVN

Nice job on your car. Welcome to the Barn!

Bruce Adams 06-12-2017 03:57 PM

It would have been nice to have seen your car at the MAFC of Long Island's Picnic & club's Model A Day Sunday. It looks great.

Synchro909 06-12-2017 05:50 PM

I wash mine with a garden hose and no water gets inside. I run it at a trickle, not a jet. No need for more water than that.

GPierce 06-12-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1484928)
I wash mine with a garden hose and no water gets inside. I run it at a trickle, not a jet. No need for more water than that.

X2. No leaks. Interior stays dry

California Travieso 06-12-2017 06:20 PM

The previous owner of our '29 Roadster bought it in 1994 after it was restored and always kept the car in the garage with a car cover. He said he never washed it and only used a car duster to wipe the dust off. We bought it in 2014 and have done the same. I think I'll use the wipes mentioned above. I may also try the waterless car wash they advertize now.

David Serrano

KGBnut 06-12-2017 06:22 PM

I've driven in hard rains that lasted longer and pounded harder than any car wash. I get a little water in the trunk, but it stays nice and dry inside.

When I wash, I'm just careful about which direction to point the hose.

Ken

Dollar Bill 06-12-2017 06:34 PM

Best product to keep running boards spiffy is 303 Protectant.

henry's 31 06-12-2017 07:28 PM

RECCONNOITER: Only one word: AWESOME!

c125bob 06-12-2017 07:37 PM

I wash mine like I do my F250, no problems. Wax it once a year and drive it a lot !

P.S. 06-12-2017 10:27 PM

I use DriWash N Guard (waterless car wash) products on the A's. One of my Model A's is an unrestored original, and the DriWash Classic does an excellent job of making the 88 year old paint look almost new.

Have never, ever taken a garden hose to either Model A.

Also, the DriWash Ultra Ion is useless. If you try it, get the Classic.

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-12-2017 11:09 PM

In my Old Country (Oklahoma), we'd just park it in the CREEK, bang on the fenders & running boards to get chunks of MUD off, Mamma would scrub the underside with an old broom, then with buckets & rags, we'd scrub & wipe down the rest.
At the same time, we'd collect a whole bag of CRAWDADS & MUSSELS & go home & FEAST! It was almost like a family PARTY, even the Dog had a FUN time!---LOL
On the way home, we'd drive REAL slow, so it didn't get DUSTY!
Bill Clean

Mike V. Florida 06-13-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1484928)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPierce (Post 1484938)
X2. No leaks. Interior stays dry

Same here, 14 years and I give it a good soak to get off anything loose before I put any soap to it.

TerryO 06-13-2017 08:23 AM

I use a hose with a nozzle with multiple settings and use the "shower" setting, a gentle spray and no problem with leaks.

russcochiolo 06-13-2017 09:36 AM

I use a spray bottle with water and a bit of baby shampoo for the tough spots (mastiff slobber) and terry towels on the body. On the radiator I pick the carcasses with a bamboo skewer followed with a stiff brush, lightly. I use the hose only on wheels, tires and undercarriage. I use a dry soft brush on the fabric top. Seems to work for me. Russ