The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I got a good laugh at AutoZone today. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333329)

evintho 11-24-2023 06:01 PM

I got a good laugh at AutoZone today.

I took a shot and went to AZ looking for wiper blades for my '54. Couldn't find 'em in the aisle so I asked the 12 year old at the counter to look them up. Which he did and promptly asked me.......'is it the front or rear wiper'!
I was polite and told him I wasn't laughing at him....I was laughing with him!

fordor41 11-25-2023 12:08 AM

Re: I got a good laugh at AutoZone today.

probably most counter people have never been in a car without rear wipers, seat belts, roll down windows, hi-lo beam on the floor, w.s. wiper control on the dash & no seat belts. even a 40 yr old that was born in '83 and started driving at 18(2001) wouldn't have been in a car without the above features!

KULTULZ 11-25-2023 09:11 AM

Quote:

... hi-lo beam on the floor ...
You know why the FEDS had them move the switch to the stalk don't 'ya?

It was too hard for drivers to reach down with their left hand to hit the switch ...

5851a 11-25-2023 10:24 AM

You could get a rear wiper. My parents 53 Mercury had one.

oldbugger 11-25-2023 10:34 AM

Were you the wiper?

Merc Cruzer 11-25-2023 04:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First offered in 52'

Daves55Sedan 11-25-2023 09:43 PM

I had a '51 Ford Deluxe 4-dr sedan in the late '70's that had a rear window wiper. The wiper arm was gone but the hud stuck out of a professionally punched hole in the rear window trim and the wiper motor (vacuum) was under the rear window package tray. They ran a rubber vaccum hose all the way from under the dash, then under the rubber floorcovering up to the rear window motor. It was activated any time the wiper switch was turned on along with the front wiper motor. Inspecting it overall, it looked like a factory installation, especiallyt the bracket that held the motor under the package tray.

Bob T 11-25-2023 11:56 PM

It was an option on the 1951 Mercury. The only one i ever saw was installed on a 1951 Merc. at the James Dean Run several years ago.

evintho 11-26-2023 12:33 AM

Wow....learn something new every day!

Gene F 11-26-2023 08:39 PM

Whoda thunk it ya know. But Mercury had that car with the
operable back window late 50s early 60s...

Grumpy Rick 11-26-2023 11:58 PM

Wow, I would have lost money on that one.

Gene F 11-27-2023 02:43 PM

I think we can all agree that a good parts person is hard to find these days.

Any one think that junk yards have a higher percentage of good parts people, even though they deal in used parts?

KULTULZ 11-27-2023 06:21 PM

Quote:

Any one think that junk yards have a higher percentage of good parts people, even though they deal in used parts?
I would think yes, as today's salvage parts systems are far more advanced from the 'walk in the yard until you find it' days.

Some high demand cars are pieced out and cataloged for repair shops, esp CRASH PARTS.

I try to stay away from box stores and stay with capable parts jobbers, or the inner-screen these days ...

fordor41 11-30-2023 11:14 PM

another thing to consider is that back in '60's and '70's there were 4 car companies basically most people dealt with. Ford, GM, Chrysler and VW. A lot of the parts were used on multiple models. Now there are multiple dozens of car brands on the market and a lot of the parts are model specific and no one could remember what part goes on what model or brand. Just my thought!

51504bat 12-01-2023 12:17 AM

And you need the vin to order parts

Gene F 12-01-2023 03:34 PM

Heck at NAPA they need to look up a water pump for a small block chevy ...

fordor41 12-02-2023 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2273646)
Heck at NAPA they need to look up a water pump for a small block chevy ...

so you're saying that every "small block" chevy ever made takes the exact same water pump?

Ford blue blood 12-02-2023 10:01 AM

My most fun is going in for parks for the street rod. Of course the first questions what year? 1936. What make? Chevrolet. What engine? 351C............and it stops there!

The guys and girls at my NAPA know me and now their first question is "What are we working on now", they just took all the fun out of it! I do get to roam freely behind the counter for "stuff" that there is no "computer ID" for........

Gene F 12-02-2023 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordor41 (Post 2273737)
so you're saying that every "small block" chevy ever made takes the exact same water pump?

No. The small block chevys of the late 60s, and the 70s are all either short, or long. Hey, I put my core on the bench, and they say what is it...

Gene F 12-02-2023 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford blue blood (Post 2273788)
My most fun is going in for parks for the street rod. Of course the first questions what year? 1936. What make? Chevrolet. What engine? 351C............and it stops there!

The guys and girls at my NAPA know me and now their first question is "What are we working on now", they just took all the fun out of it! I do get to roam freely behind the counter for "stuff" that there is no "computer ID" for........

Yes my streetrod throws em' for a fit too. What is the car? 1936 Plymouth

Last time I needed a brake caliper. I had it on the bench. Mustang II (rack system) suspension, and those calipers were used on tons of cars, like Ford Ranger trucks, Maverick, Granada. A for real parts person makes a difference where I shop.

My muscle car, believe it or not the people at Jegs are very knowlegable. They look at a part, and they can have intelligent conversation.