The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   No Engine Block Number, WHY? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92359)

Banky 12-20-2012 11:40 AM

No Engine Block Number, WHY?

Hi all, my block does not have a number punched into it? Drivers side, directly below the head. There's a spot for it, but no number?

SUPER RARE, worth a ton of $$$$$!!!
I will be entertaining offers over $100,000.

Assuming it's a replacement block?

thoughts?

thanks,
Banky

Rowdy 12-20-2012 11:52 AM

Re: No Engine Block Number, WHY?

Likely it is a replacement block. I have a couple of them that way. Just curiuos is it a diamond block bt chance? Not worth a ton as many of them are out there. Rod

Steve Plucker 12-20-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banky (Post 556223)
Hi all, my block does not have a number punched into it? Drivers side, directly below the head. There's a spot for it, but no number?

SUPER RARE, worth a ton of $$$$$!!!
I will be entertaining offers over $100,000.

Assuming it's a replacement block?

thoughts?

thanks,
Banky

If the number pad is as smooth as a babys butt, then more than likely it is a restamp...Look very closely, you just may see signs of numbers.

If it is as rough as the rest of the block, then Hmmmmm...Just how long is the number pad?

Pluck

JD Miller 12-20-2012 12:25 PM

As mentioned the motor is a replacement. Many times these engines were not stamped by the dealer or repair shop that did an engine replacement. Not special, just not stamped. There are a lot of these engines out there. I've had several.

SLPreston53 12-20-2012 12:35 PM

I know someone who did a rebuild with a non-matching numbers block. Milled off the numbers then went over the boss with a descaler. One would be hard pressed to know that the block at one time had a number.

Rowdy 12-20-2012 01:51 PM

In states where the Model A engine number is considered the VIN that would be a felony. I won't say that it does not happen, but I would not make it public knowledge. Rod

RonC 12-20-2012 01:54 PM

I believe all factory assembled motors were stamped and only replacement bare blocks came unstamped.

Bruce Adams 12-20-2012 03:09 PM

I have read on past Fordbarn posts that Sears Model A engines did not come with serial numbers.

I would assume that means engines rebuilt by Sears during that period.

oldmanandakid 12-20-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy (Post 556229)
Likely it is a replacement block. I have a couple of them that way. Just curiuos is it a diamond block bt chance? Not worth a ton as many of them are out there. Rod

What is a diamond block?

msmaron 12-20-2012 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanandakid (Post 556379)
What is a diamond block?

Not the Diamond Marks,, hence it was called the "Diamond Block" replacement model a blocks..

Russ/40 12-20-2012 06:43 PM

When I was a kid, some 50 years ago, I found an "A" engine in a field. I gave it to a friend who ended up running it in his 31 Sport Coup. When he went to register the vehicle, I ended up with the police knocking on our door. It was one of those blocks with no number.

oldmanandakid 12-20-2012 07:27 PM

Thanks Mark............Jerry

Banky 12-20-2012 08:25 PM

Not sure if it's a diamond block, I'll have to check. I'm in my jammies and my garage is cooooooooold! So it will be tomorrow. This is turing out to be an interesting thread though. At least it is for me. Thanks

Fred K-OR 12-20-2012 09:55 PM

When a person registers an A with the state and in that state the VIN number is the engine number and that person swaps engines, what does that person do?

Mike V. Florida 12-20-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred K-OR (Post 556587)
When a person registers an A with the state and in that state the VIN number is the engine number and that person swaps engines, what does that person do?

File new paperwork.

Rowdy 12-20-2012 11:34 PM

By the way the law reads in this state, they are supposed to surrender their original title and apply for an assembled vehicle title. I have never heard of anyone doing this, but that is the way the law reads for any vehicle before 1948. The intentions of the law passed in 1987 was to help shut down chop shops in the Eastern part of the state and was also tied to a bumper height and fender law. All of which are widely ignored by law enforcement. Rod

Richard Wilson 12-21-2012 09:24 AM

Then there is the worst case. Older owner (80+) that has owned his Model A since the mid-40's and still drives it almost every day. Frame has been changed twice and engine changed at least eight times. Never has had a title change or DMV serial number inspection as long as he has owned it.

Special Coupe Frank 12-21-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wilson (Post 556742)
Then there is the worst case. Older owner (80+) that has owned his Model A since the mid-40's and still drives it almost every day. Frame has been changed twice and engine changed at least eight times. Never has had a title change or DMV serial number inspection as long as he has owned it.

His descendants will thank him when it comes time to settle the estate if the car is part of it...

:rolleyes:

Special Coupe Frank 12-21-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 556456)
Not the Diamond Marks,, hence it was called the "Diamond Block" replacement model a blocks..

Mark, is that photo up-side down ?

SC Frank

28-31 12-21-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wilson (Post 556742)

That's not good, but at least he's alive to write the affidavit and "try" to convince the appropriate authorities. The actual worst case is his descendants trying get everything straightened out (as already mentioned above) -- or, as is more often the case, the car changes hands several times, having had the frame and engine swapped-out over the years at least once -- with no one left alive to tell the tail.

It's a good time, let me tell ya...