The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dog-Bone Links (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249914)

rfitzpatrick 08-19-2018 11:52 AM

Dog-Bone Links

While installing Stipes on my front end ('31 Pickup) I used the "Dog-Bone" links - however left side I could not close a gap between the two halfs - about 1/8" perhaps. Right side wasn't any problem, things snugged right up.
What's my solution? Should I have used the Tubular Links instead? Or will I have to give up the idea of Stipes all together? Probably a frame alliment issue to boot

I couldn't post a picture -- Grandson has my iPad

redmodelt 08-19-2018 12:10 PM

Re: Dog-Bone Links

If you have more then one or two sets, the casting may be mixed up. Make sure tabs are fitting in to the slots. Do you have the correct arms and rubber balls fitted? Does not sound like an issue with the shocks them self but with the rubber balls, arms or dog bones. If the arms are used, check to see if it bent. Don't see how frame alignment would be a issue.

rfitzpatrick 08-19-2018 03:01 PM

Everything is new -- it actually looks like I need to bend the arm 'inward' from it's mounting for a better line-up. Or shim-out the read of the shock? Might be why it came without shocks in the first place--
Thanks, it'll be looked at by our Club for advise when we meet

Bob Bidonde 08-19-2018 03:48 PM

Dog Bones need periodic replacement of the rubber balls as they wear quickly. I would opt for the Model "A" tubular links.

Tom Wesenberg 08-19-2018 03:56 PM

You went first class with the Stipe shock, so I'm surprised you went with the dog bone links. I'd use A&L correct tubular links.

Tacoma Bob 08-19-2018 04:29 PM

Which style of dog bones do you have? The newer stamped steel "look" crappy to me. Even the old style are prone to breaking from what Bert's told me. I put Stipes on last summer with dog bones and so far so good. At some point I will go with the tube style but I have enough complications in my life to sweat the small stuff. Did you match up the arms to see if they are the same?

rfitzpatrick 08-19-2018 08:00 PM

Since everything is brand new -- figure I have the stamped steel. Wasn't aware that the tubular links were considered the better. Anyway since the salt-flats (Bonneville) runs are about over, I'll get some help when some club-members get back in town.
Thanks everyone-

redmodelt 08-19-2018 11:31 PM

So if Ford went to dog bone style in 32, or press steel with rubber inserts later up to when they went to tube shocks, Ford was wrong? Bottom line is your car, time and money and depends on what you want to do. Unless it is a points car I would opt for dog bones.

rocket1 08-20-2018 06:56 AM

I would eyeball the correlation of the two balls on the right side compared to the left side,if it is a big difference the tube links might also be a problem,ie something bent.I have a bent frame and the left tube link is on a steep angle and difficult to install,something for you to check,good luck.