The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drop Staight Axle vs IFS (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68536)

lo c dan 04-16-2012 01:19 PM

Drop Staight Axle vs IFS

I realize the forum is stock related, but for ride, steering, is there really a difference? Please share the pro's -n- con's. Say M II vs drop straight axle, or is it really only a self-preference. Thanks - lo

jerry/tx 04-16-2012 01:36 PM

Re: Drop Staight Axle vs IFS

It depends on what your gonna do w/it. If you want a classic car - use the dropped axle and flathead . It will drive ok and you will have more fun in my thinking . If you want it to drive like a modern car w/sbc - a/c - auto then use a m2 . If its a 35 or newer w/fenders you won't see it anyway . You car you choice . I'm building a '32 5/w with a dropped axle , flathead , s10 trans , and converted banjo rear and no a/c . I have both kinds and I enjoy the flathead cars more than sbc ones .

lo c dan 04-16-2012 01:45 PM

Sorry Jerry, I'm building a '37 c dan. Yes on it being a driver, and yes to a/c, sbf

ford1 04-16-2012 02:57 PM

a straight axle front end can be made to ride pretty nice, but if its true comfort and control on rough roads you cant beat the independent front suspension, cost wise about $1100 complete, if you want nostalgia go straight front axle, for a more presice handling and comfort use the independent front

lo c dan 04-16-2012 03:14 PM

Thanks, I'm on the fence. There seems to be more room with straight axle, under the hood. Also I really don't want to totally rebuild the hole frame. I' m not a full fledged car builder. Remove replace, rebuild etc. Is more my speed, I tend to only be able to depend on my skills, and keep others out of my pocket.

Krylon32 04-16-2012 03:25 PM

At my chassis shop it's about 75% straight axle, 25% IFS. Has ran that way for the last 30 years.

Ol' Ron 04-16-2012 04:25 PM

When it comes to quality of a light car like a roadster, there's not much you can do to the quality of ride. You can use IFS, coil overs, air bags. It all boils down to sprung to un-sprung weight. The spicer 35 is about the lightest modern rear axle. but a 100 lbs of junk in the trunk will help too.

lo c dan 04-16-2012 04:43 PM

Ol' Ron I'm sure you mean well.. but what? ('37 Ford)

19Fordy 04-16-2012 04:47 PM

Street rod uses independent. Hot Rod uses straight axle. It all depends on what kind of ride you are building.

lo c dan 04-16-2012 05:05 PM

Well there is a ' 39 sedan f/s and my eyes where opened to a different way of thinking. I've had a one track mind to this point. And started me thinking a different way. Full fendered '30s '40s car = IFS I'm sorry I didn't want to cause any drama on this informative site, so much to learn. I'm leaning towards the drop straight axle, and was only looking for others thoughts on this topic. I'm not as informed as others.

uncle max 04-16-2012 05:16 PM

Dropped axle will keep your Ford honest!

flatjack9 04-16-2012 05:24 PM

I've got a straight axle under my 39. I think it handles very well. Has many highway miles and my wife even likes riding in it.

Ol' Ron 04-16-2012 06:54 PM

The IFS works great in the heavery cars, but keep the rear axle light.

40cpe 04-16-2012 08:16 PM

I have one of each and I wouldn't think of starting on a 500 mile-a-day trip in the straight axle car. The steering is what I think it should be, no wandering or shimmy, but the steering is precise and the ride is much more comfortable in the M II and parallel leaf rear springs and you can make much better time. My opinion is that the straight axle is fine for local or occasional drives but gets tiresome on longer stints.

It would be great if you had access to one of each to form your own opinion.

lo c dan 04-16-2012 08:21 PM

A luxury I don't have...access to either one.

felix37 04-16-2012 08:56 PM

I have a 4'' dropped axle,reverse eye spring and sway bar on my 37' and I drive it every day to work. It handles like a dream! it's much simpler than a Mustang II and you don't have to cut it up!

sturgis 39 04-16-2012 09:37 PM

If I wanted to drive a Mustang two, I would buy a Mustang Two. I have seen a lot of independent front suspensions and they just do not make an old Ford look right. I would not buy a car that has been converted and I would not install one.

My neighbor has a 34 Ford with a Corvair front suspension and he wants to change it back to a straight axle. This was a trendy conversion in the seventies and the Mustang Two is trendy now. Trendy things just do not last and devalue the car.

Another friend has a Forty Ford with a Nova front end welded to the 40 Ford frame. He can not sell the car and he now hates the car and wishes he would have never made this dumb mistake. This was another trendy conversion.

The straight axle will never go out of style.

tiquer 04-16-2012 09:51 PM

I have had both and I will never go the mus II again. I saw no advantage to the mus. over the several solid Axel fords I have driven.

okiedokie 04-16-2012 10:26 PM

I have had both. I loved the way my 40 sedan drove with dropped Super Bell and Posies spring . Drove it cross country several times. However on my newest 40 I used a CE MII setup with QA1 coilovers and REALLY like the ride and drive. If you want your 37 to be a "lo c dan" either setup will take a considerable amount of work and cost close to the same when done right.

sanborn 04-17-2012 08:33 AM

I will add a little more----When I rebuilt my 40 a few years ago, It was a total "frame off". My original frame was straight, level and true. I couldn't bear the thought to cut it up. I went with a narrowed, dropped front axle, Posey spring, four bar, billet hubs and rotors, custom sway bar and custom shocks. The ride is quite good and it handles "like a bear". Honestly, a well engineered IFS probably rides better---but I preferred to keep the basic original design.

The setup I used is expensive----so you are not saving any money with a dropped axle, etc.