The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   28 model A VIN location (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29623)

Holeinthehead 02-22-2011 10:24 AM

28 model A VIN location

:confused:Help, help!
The stupid Secretary of State "has a problem" with my title. I bought car from a guy in Texas and the car has a Texas title which I surrendered in order to get my Illinois title. Now there is a "problem"

Can anyone tell me where the VIN is located on a 28 A ?

Steve Plucker 02-22-2011 10:35 AM

Re: 28 model A VIN location

You raise a question that has been asked time and time again...

There could be many senario's as to just where the "VIN" is located.

First we know nothing about the vehicle you have.

In the begining, Ford stamped the left side of the engine with a engine number on the engine number pad. Then, when the engine was dropped into a chassis at the assembly line, that number was then put on the top of the left side frame member in the vicinity of the cowl...you must raise the body off of the frame to read it...sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not due to the 80 plus years of service if you have an original, assembled vehicle.

NOW...if you do not, then there is another can of worms to open...

If the car you have was peiced together, then the numbers could be in the same spot or they could have been stamped elsewhere...or not!

Lots of senarios...ask the previous owner if he had the numbers stamped other than the above.

I am sure others will chime in on this delima!

Pluck

rotorwrench 02-22-2011 11:11 AM

Texas used to be pretty lax on checking the VIN numbers. After 1985 or so, they started requiring a VIN check on any vehicles coming into the state from other states. If the VIN is not on the engine, they require a pencil rubbing of the number from the frame.

I purchased a 1929 Sport Coupe here in Texas back in 1990 that had originally come from Tennesee back in the late 1970s. Since the car was already titled in Texas, it wasn't required to check the VIN so I had no problems transfering the title. After I got to looking at it while performing some minor repairs to the engine, I found that the number on the engine was completely missing. I don't know if it was a replacement engine or not but the number pad on the left side above the water inlet was rusty and blank. It always made me wonder how the guy I purchased it from got it registered in Texas after coming from Tennesse. I could tell he never took the body off the frame. He either had a pencil rubbing that I don't know about or they just plain didn't check it when he transfered the title back in the 70s.

Kerby

1931 flamingo 02-22-2011 11:26 AM

You might try doing a search on this forum and the EV8 forum as the problem in Illinois was discussed extensively. They are being very picky, even going after previously registered (in Illinois) vehicles. Not pretty.
Paul in CT

MikeK 02-22-2011 12:09 PM

Illinois recognizes only the frame number on Model A's. You will have to raise the body, find and clean off the number, then have a rep from the state police witness it and sign off.

If the frame number does not match your title, you surrender the old title and apply for a new, bonded title. The bonded title will require you to post a cash bond 1.5X the SOS's estimated value, which is usually sky high and independent of any paperwork you have showing a lower value.

If your frame number matches the title, you may still be required to carry a bonded title, depends on which way the wind is blowing in Springfield.

After three years of no claim against the VIN, you apply for a standard Illinois title. Theoretically you can apply for refund of the bond "Pursuant to available bond pool reserve" and minus fund management fees, of course. :eek:

NEVER (ever, ever, ever!!) disclose to anyone the VIN on your bonded title. Claims against your title will materialize out of the woodwork.

Aerocraft 02-22-2011 03:52 PM

I live just a few miles north of you at Rt. 59 and 83rd street. I would be happy to make a "House call" (free of course) to help. The State of Illinois has been a real pain and I have recent experience in getting an out of state car registered. I am retired and available (almost) any time. Gar Williams 630-904-8416 [email protected]

Slantwindshield 02-22-2011 04:12 PM

Illinois sucks on older car titling!!!!!!!!!

Louis 02-22-2011 04:35 PM

Holeinthehead,
What was said that brought the problem of the VIN# up?
Did you tell them that you did not know the VIN # of the car because it was an antique?
was the Vin# on the Texas title? if so why would they not use that VIN#?

Aerocraft 02-22-2011 07:08 PM

The DMV in Illinois has recently decided that any out of state car manufactured before 1941, being brought into Illinois for registration and title, is required to have the VIN verified. The verification, in the case of a Model A, requires the removal of the body to gain access to the number stamped on the frame. The Illinois DMV is smart enough to know where the numbers are stamped on the Model A. There is now a procedure that new Model A owners (of out of state cars) in Illinois must follow. The worst part is the body removal. A friend near me has just gone through the process and indicated it is not as scary as some people are reporting. Gar Williams

ross3655 12-31-2020 09:02 AM

Is there such a thing as a “Car Fax” report for a 28? I have a VIN and plate number but Car Fax does not recognize it.

dean from bozeman 12-31-2020 10:26 AM

What possessed Henry to put one of the VIN numbers in such an inaccessible place? So many frames are pitted because of standing water. If it would have been stamped on the outward side of the frame rail it would have be accessible and perhaps would not have suffered as much pitting.

Okay, I imagine that Henry put it there to easily match up the engine and frame and did not consider future identification problems, but heck, I do need something to complain about.

ronn 12-31-2020 10:45 AM

so Dean,

Henry wtd to sell you another car in 5 years.........

who cares about vins anyway?

Happy New Year!

lol

Gary WA 12-31-2020 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holeinthehead (Post 165500)
:confused:Help, help!
The stupid Secretary of State "has a problem" with my title. I bought car from a guy in Texas and the car has a Texas title which I surrendered in order to get my Illinois title. Now there is a "problem"

Can anyone tell me where the VIN is located on a 28 A ?

try this,thanks to supplier of photo!

rotorwrench 12-31-2020 12:04 PM

I don't think the Carfax system will pick up on cars VINs that aren't in the database that their computer system draws from. Their database is likely only 20 years old or so and uses the modern standard for VIN sequence.

dean from bozeman 12-31-2020 12:26 PM

I had to laugh when I first registered A495 for a title in Montana. No inspection but the woman at the desk was, 'Wow, I've never seen a VIN number that low.'

JayJay 12-31-2020 04:15 PM

Hard for me to imagine that there is any state where anything regulatory is more of a PITA than California, but apparently there is. California does require verification of VIN on cars brought in from out of state. My Town Sedan came into California from Wisconsin but all the previous owner (who brought it in) had to do was clean off the number on the engine plate and voila, a California title.

Funny thing - I was digging around under the rear seat and found some shreds of a Janesville, WI newspaper. Haven't been able to date it precisely but a hint - all the phone numbers in the ads are four digits only! There is a historical society there who may be able to help me.

JayJay

jimalabam 12-31-2020 04:47 PM

ID (VIN) numbers were not unique to Ford, almost all cars have an FBI # somewhere on the car's frame...

Brad in Germany 12-31-2020 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just take the original Instruction Manual to the MVA/DMV/Secretary of State and show them the bottom of page 4 which clarifies for them that the engine number is the serial number of the car (see red arrow in this scan of an original Instruction Manual):
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1609453664

Brad in Maryland

ronn 01-01-2021 10:17 AM

well done Brad.

only problem is many engines were chged and you have a big problem if you are using a SBC engine.

Cali is a pretty easy state. worst state in the nation appears to be Nebraska.
and that is a matter of county.

OH can also be a bit of a headache, but all are doable with a little patience.

brito36 01-02-2021 09:44 AM

I live in Illinois and purchased a sedan delivery which had a Michigan title. I applied for an Illinois title and plates. The Secretary of State sent me a letter and requested that I send them a photograph of the number on the frame along with a document of inspection signed by the police verifying the number. Had that done, returned it to the Secretary of State and received my Illinois title. No problems.