The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Preventing electrochemical corrosion alloy heads (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280519)

ethov8 05-04-2020 04:32 PM

Preventing electrochemical corrosion alloy heads

Any ideas on preventing this type of corrosion or slowing it down. Mine are Eddelbrock heads but I guess the make is immaterial. The engine has not been run with coolant in it yet.
Any ideas appreciated.

Kube 05-04-2020 04:56 PM

Re: Preventing electrochemical corrosion alloy heads

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethov8 (Post 1883463)
Any ideas on preventing this type of corrosion or slowing it down. Mine are Eddelbrock heads but I guess the make is immaterial. The engine has not been run with coolant in it yet.
Any ideas appreciated.

Yeah, use modern anti-freeze / coolant.
Nearly all modern engines use a lot of aluminum in them.
Corrosion of these parts is not much of a worry these days.
Even my Aston requires zero additives other than modern anti-freeze / coolant.

petehoovie 05-04-2020 05:44 PM

Excellent Read > http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/VoltageDrop/water.htm

Consider this stuff as well > https://no-rosion.com/norosioncoolant.htm

russcc 05-04-2020 06:56 PM

Depending on the climate you are in, No-Rosion and Reverse osmosis water is not only an effective coolant, but it eliminates corrosion. When you install the heads, coat the studs or bolt shanks with graphite petrolatum anti-seize, and you will be able to get the off again in the future.

qmdv 05-04-2020 08:57 PM

Interesting subject. I just pulled the water pumps. They were rebuilt by the guy in Florida and installed eight months ago. Used Ethylene Glycol (green stuff). 50/50. We have pretty hard water. Should a guy use premixed modern anti freeze.

https://i.imgur.com/EFtCIxNb.jpg

tubman 05-04-2020 09:21 PM

I have installed a sacrificial anode, if only for mental health reasons.

qmdv 05-04-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1883595)

It works in water heaters

DavidG 05-04-2020 10:31 PM

Mike,

As in Martin?

Brian 05-05-2020 12:55 AM

Me, personally, I use 50% antifreeze mix, sacrificial anodes, anti seize on all head studs, numerous grounding straps, including one of those rubber ones that drags on the ground. Like the Irishman who wore two condoms; to be sure, to be sure!

ethov8 05-05-2020 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1883595)

Hi
Are you using zinc or a zinc solution as an anode? If it is zinc how do you get it into contact with the aluminium and in the electrolyte as well?
Cheers Marcus

ethov8 05-05-2020 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1883644)
Me, personally, I use 50% antifreeze mix, sacrificial anodes, anti seize on all head studs, numerous grounding straps, including one of those rubber ones that drags on the ground. Like the Irishman who wore two condoms; to be sure, to be sure!

Hi Brian
Tell me more about these grounding straps you use. Do you ground the engine direct or what? What material are the straps etc.
Cheers Marcus

51 MERC-CT 05-05-2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethov8 (Post 1883658)
Hi Brian
Tell me more about these grounding straps you use. Do you ground the engine direct or what? What material are the straps etc.
Cheers Marcus

These are rubber anti-static straps that attach to the frame of the vehicle and drag on the ground.
They are meant to eliminate the build up of static electricity in the body of the car and have nothing to do with eliminating engine corrosion.
Just Google 'static strap' for availability.

franksford 05-05-2020 08:09 AM

Reverse osmosis water may not be your best choice. Water that has been striped of all it's elements will want them back and will go after the softest metal first. You want water with a neutral PH of 7. Any thing less is acidic, not good for aluminum heads. Anodes in the radiator will be a big help, zinc or magnesium is best along with the proper antifreeze. I used to work with DI ultra pure water and was amazed at how aggressive it was and how it rusted the best tools we had. Just my thoughts. Frank

Kube 05-05-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1883623)
Mike,

As in Martin?

Yes.

Tim Ayers 05-05-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franksford (Post 1883719)
Reverse osmosis water may not be your best choice. Water that has been striped of all it's elements will want them back and will go after the softest metal first. You want water with a neutral PH of 7. Any thing less is acidic, not good for aluminum heads. Anodes in the radiator will be a big help, zinc or magnesium is best along with the proper antifreeze. I used to work with DI ultra pure water and was amazed at how aggressive it was and how it rusted the best tools we had. Just my thoughts. Frank

What gets you the neutral ph? Distilled?

Brian 05-05-2020 12:15 PM

The zinc anodes I make. Get some 1/2 dia zinc rod [I buy it from local marine shop], cut to suitable lengths. Cut a 1/4 pipe thread on one end. Get a brass 3/8 pipe plug, it'll have a recess inside it. Tap that out 1/4 pipe thread, screw in the zinc. Now you've got something that looks very similar to a temp gauge sender...Screw into the cylinder head. Job done.

alchemy 05-05-2020 02:08 PM

Here's zinc anodes: https://www.boatzincs.com/engine.html

51 MERC-CT 05-05-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alchemy (Post 1883872)

Amazing, no work, no getting anything and cheap.

34billct 05-05-2020 03:42 PM

The best bet is to use pre mixed and change every two years and you will have no problems.

tubman 05-05-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethov8 (Post 1883657)
Hi
Are you using zinc or a zinc solution as an anode? If it is zinc how do you get it into contact with the aluminium and in the electrolyte as well?
Cheers Marcus

I'd tell you what I did, but the ones that "alchemy" posted are much better and cheaper, so I'm getting a couple of them and throwing mine away.:o