The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Old cars in u-pull-its - maybe off topic (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132482)

malpais 02-25-2014 12:11 PM

Old cars in u-pull-its - maybe off topic

2 Attachment(s)
Went to the local Mickey Mouse u-pull-it lot in northern Colorado yesterday. Just found a few flathead parts in a pickup bed, but ................

Guys there say they are getting a lot of 60, 50, some 40's cars. In Colorado, not even a lot of rust. Couple of decent 60ish Tbirds, coupes (not Ford), Studys, etc.

Why do you think this is happening? Restorers like us getting old? Price of steel? Restorations too expensive now days? People more interested in latest ipads?

Watched them drag a few to the crusher, and the rest only have a few days! I only have 35 acres - can't bring 'em home.

Venting,

Gordon

bart78 02-25-2014 12:29 PM

Re: Old cars in u-pull-its - maybe off topic

There are some cars that are just not worth restoring. Maybe some good parts out there. But with money being short for more and more people. That is probably the main reason no one does anything with them.

malpais 02-25-2014 12:35 PM

Doggone - don't like to hear stuff 50-60 year old ain't worth fixin'. Thank God for Obamacare......

GreenMonster48 02-25-2014 12:40 PM

I'd take that Chevy shortbed home

itsa52 02-25-2014 01:02 PM

My local U pick it hasn't had any new "Older cars" for a year.. Everything there is picked pretty clean, but I still like to check it every few weeks, weather permitting.

Ross F-1 02-25-2014 01:07 PM

I would guess a lot of it is increasing intolerance for "junk" laying around near land being converted to McMansions.

BTW, Martin's Supply in Windsor CO is a gold mine! Ever been?

Bolts 02-25-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malpais (Post 830549)
Doggone - don't like to hear stuff 50-60 year old ain't worth fixin'. Thank God for Obamacare......

Very funny, I love it!!!

41panelmark 02-25-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malpais (Post 830530)
Went to the local Mickey Mouse u-pull-it lot in northern Colorado yesterday. Just found a few flathead parts in a pickup bed, but ................

Guys there say they are getting a lot of 60, 50, some 40's cars. In Colorado, not even a lot of rust. Couple of decent 60ish Tbirds, coupes (not Ford), Studys, etc.

Why do you think this is happening? Restorers like us getting old? Price of steel? Restorations too expensive now days? People more interested in latest ipads?

Watched them drag a few to the crusher, and the rest only have a few days! I only have 35 acres - can't bring 'em home.

Venting,

Gordon

Hey I was up at the other wrecking yard out North too pick up some stuff I wanted and they had scrapped the 41 1 ton cab and front clip, said no one was interested in it. That entire thing was in good shape. Guess I should have drug it home sooner.

1952henry 02-25-2014 05:15 PM

There's a yard nearby that has a lot of old iron in it. The owner will not crush any of it until it is absolutely stripped. His theory, "They don't make 'em anymore".

waterboychuck 02-25-2014 05:34 PM

It's too bad that not all cars can be brought back to life, but I would have no idea where to get after market parts like windshield rubber, tail lights lenses for say a 53 Nash. Just my 2 cents.

dumb person 02-25-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboychuck (Post 830751)
It's too bad that not all cars can be brought back to life, but I would have no idea where to get after market parts like windshield rubber, tail lights lenses for say a 53 Nash. Just my 2 cents.

i substitute something from a similar car. Nobody notices.

malpais 02-25-2014 09:32 PM

Be nice if these got stripped to - my point xactly - don't make 'em anymore

malpais 02-25-2014 09:39 PM

Ross,

Yea, I've been to Martin's. Lot's of good stuff if you get by the grumpiness. I live close if you every need parts from there.

Funny, I've always had better luck in NM (used to live down that way). Every see the old stuff sitting (or was sitting) in Questa?

Gordon

gearhead1952 02-25-2014 10:13 PM

Sadly not many people buying. Based on the stuff I have been trying to sell people only want it if you give it away. A lot of flakes on craigslist so I can understand people not wanting to deal with it and give them to a yard for scrap. Curious which yard you are talking about. I have been to Martins several times. Dealing with Charles is ok but any of the other guys there have been jerks.

Sixseven 02-26-2014 07:52 AM

Imagine the early 40's during the scrap drives and the great stuff that might have even been driven to the junkyard.

Merc Cruzer 02-26-2014 10:46 AM

Ross-F-1, Malpais & gearhead1952:

Martin has been great, I got my block from them and it was guaranteed, if it had a crack bring it back...it didn't and now it is the car. I also use Speedway and Erie Auto Salvage (high priced) if you can get in to Speedway (only good weather Saturdays and only for 3-4 hours)

malpais 02-27-2014 09:55 AM

All,

Lot I'm talking about is east of Greely. Most u-pull-it lots seem to keep a list of cars they get in. This one doesn't, so I have to drive an hour to see what's there. Turned my back there once, and my nice set of Craftsman tools disappeared - not their fault but frustrating.

Never know when they change cars. Just that sometimes they have what I need.

It's amazing how different lots are, although many here seem to be owned by one big outfit now.

This week I needed a front differential for a Tracker. (My dog drove it down it down the mountain - another story). A lot in Loveland said they could get one from
Denver - for $650!

Drove to Denver and bought a good one for $150.

Gordon