The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   24 Hours (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81105)

dean from bozeman 08-26-2012 09:00 PM

24 Hours

I know that there are a good many mechanics and folks with a lot of experience on Fordbarn so I want your opinion on a theoretical question. Actually it has two parts and I would like to have both answered.

Theoretically, can a Model A and/or a modern truck be driven 24 hours without stopping and have no ill effects later?

Let's assume that you have fresh (enough) drivers and everything was greased, fluids full and the vehicles were road ready at the beginning. The "and no ill effects later" is an important aspect to have answered.

Thanks.

Dean

Popeye31 08-26-2012 09:15 PM

Re: 24 Hours

As long as your up to it go for it. You will need to stop for gas so you might need to add oil and keep an eye on the water don't push the rpms ferther than comfortable . and you should be fine.

ScottNW/Ohio 08-26-2012 09:18 PM

I don't see why not - as long as it has been properly maintained, water and oil checked at every fuel stop, etc.
If everything is operating correctly (cooling system, oil system) it should run indefinately
It's been my experience (not Model A) that engines suffer more wear from 'warming up and cooling down' frictions than (I.E. short trips)
You may have more trouble with the actual drivers - in terms of "ill effects" ;)

Aerocraft 08-27-2012 01:52 AM

Years ago, when I was a GI, I made many round trips while on leave from Otis AFB on Cape Cod to the Chicago area. It took a full 24 hours stopping only for gas. My '30 Coupe took it a lot better than I did. Gar Williams

mot 08-27-2012 01:56 AM

in the 60s,4 of us made the run from connecticut to los angeles in 48 hrs
just stopped for gas
bought food at the gas stations ,
peed in a coffee can
lots of wide open spaces and we didnt baby the car

Special Coupe Frank 08-27-2012 07:59 AM

As the others have said, as long as the machinery is in good operating condition, and not being run flat-out for said 24-hours, I think the human part of the equation would be the weak-link...

For the model A (given my personal experience with a tired-old 87,000 miles jalopy), my biggest concern would be oil consumption... my '28 can easily go through a qt in 100 miles if I'm pushing it at 50 mph...

I'm sure there must have been endurance runs with Model A's back in its day...

CannonBall Baker used to famous for all sorts of coast-to-coast speed and endurance runs back in the '20s and '30s... including one where he drove a car cross-country in reverse ( think the car might be been specially modified ? )...

dean from bozeman 08-27-2012 11:03 AM

It is good to know that it has been done. Now, is there any concern about metal fatigue? Does the metal structure change at all with duration at a particular temperature?

Let's say that there is Model A #1 and Model A #2. Both of these vehicles are identical in every way. Model A #1 goes on trips that total 24 hours and let's say 1200 miles. Model A #2 goes on a 24 hour, 1200 mile trip. After their respect 1200 mile jaunts, will they again be identical? Could the babbit in #2 be affected in any way by this continual use trip?

ronn 08-27-2012 01:25 PM

dean, I hated those test questions in H.S.! :)

jkelsh 08-27-2012 01:45 PM

They did it several times as an advertising gimmik when they were new. That was a few years ago I suppose

JoeWay 08-27-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean from bozeman (Post 486896)
...Theoretically, can a Model A and/or a modern truck be driven 24 hours without stopping...

Thanks.

Dean

If you mean this literally, then no, but only because you'd run out of gas. Assuming the car (any car) is in good condition and properly serviced, fuel should be the only issue keeping the car from going 24 hours straight.

As others have mentioned, keeping the driver going 24 hours is another question.:D

If the driving conditions are similar, the effects on the cars should be similar. Putting on the miles all together instead of in multiple sessions should not make any difference.

Joe

FL&WVMIKE 08-27-2012 02:15 PM

I don't know, why not, assuming the points, oil pump, water pump and generator were all working properly.
MIKE :)

CarlG 08-27-2012 02:48 PM

I remember back in the mid 50's that Ford did something like 100,000 miles in 30 days, driving 24/7 changing out drivers every 8 hours or whatever, stopping -- but not turning off the engine -- to change drivers, tires, check fluid levels, etc.

MikeK 08-27-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean from bozeman (Post 487155)
. . . Let's say that there is Model A #1 and Model A #2. Both of these vehicles are identical in every way. Model A #1 goes on trips that total 24 hours and let's say 1200 miles. Model A #2 goes on a 24 hour, 1200 mile trip. After their respect 1200 mile jaunts, will they again be identical? Could the babbit in #2 be affected in any way by this continual use trip?

Thermal cycles, cold start to operating temp, are detrimental to both the fatigue life of stressed parts and the wear life of bearing surfaces.

Huckster Dave 08-27-2012 02:58 PM

If you had a tender to refuel on the move I think it could be done. Made the trip from Missoula to Central Michigan (1952 miles) non stop (cept 4 fuel) several times back in the seventies. Did it in a Jeep commander, a 1964 bow tie and a pinto. I survived as did the vehicles.

dean from bozeman 08-27-2012 02:58 PM

MikeK, 'Thermal cycles, cold start to operating temp, are detrimental to both the fatigue life of stressed parts and the wear life of bearing surfaces. '

Agreed. Now, does a constant operating temperature for an extended period of time add proportionally more than shorter periods to the natural fatigue life of parts that are under stress?

Thanks to all who answered...so far.

Jerry Parr WI 08-27-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 487282)
Thermal cycles, cold start to operating temp, are detrimental to both the fatigue life of stressed parts and the wear life of bearing surfaces.

I agree with Mike. The most wear and stress occurs getting from cold to operating temperature. Constant running at a steady temperature causes the least stress on the engine.

1930artdeco 08-27-2012 04:03 PM

Remember that B-52's used to be airborne for almost if not longer than 24hrs at a time in the 60's and 70's. They did that a lot and the they survived, I don't know about the crews though:).

Mike

msmaron 08-27-2012 04:15 PM

Now the most important question...."WHY" as in do you want to know Deano!

dean from bozeman 08-27-2012 04:41 PM

Mark, I have several reasons.

1. I am bringing a pickup truckload of parts to Hershey. Afterwards I may need to drive straight through to Bozeman. The pickup truck has under 10,000 miles and it needs to last up tp 160,000 miles or so. Just wondered if it was adviseable, in regards to possible metal fatigue for the truck.

2. When I was a member of the MAFCA club in Milwaukee in the late 60's I thought that a group of guys drove their Model A's to Dallas non stop. It got me to thinking about driving long distances in an "A". I'll be 62 before the end of the year and am thinking about what I might like to do as future challenges.

3. My first two years in college I studied engineering. I made the honor roll in partying but ended up teaching science at various levels. Though I taught Chemistry and Physics for a while it was more on the theoretical side and not as much on the practical side. The Fordbarn is a great mix of experience, expertise and a source of Model A stories. As you can see we are getting answers in all three areas. My question is broad based but I hope to get some answers on metal fatigue. It interests me.

Mark, those are a couple reasons that I asked the questions.

Thanks.

Dean

MikeK 08-27-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean from bozeman (Post 487288)
MikeK,
Agreed. Now, does a constant operating temperature for an extended period of time add proportionally more than shorter periods to the natural fatigue life of parts that are under stress?

Cyclic metal/alloy fatigue is a function of stochastic process and inherently independent of period of frequency(time) between stress applications. If thermal state is nulled (constant) there will be no statistical variance in failure probability between parts that are constantly vs. sporatically stressed. Failure probability will be the same.

If, however, thermal cycles are applied, a different and additional external subset of stresses will be applied to the grain boundaries within the metal/alloy. It is for that reason some critical parts, like jet turbine blades are often cast with a single nucleation point, resulting in a large part that is a single 'grain' or crystal. Normally in metalwork finer grain structure is better. But not always!

So, to answer your Q, "no". Clear as mud?