The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Clear coat removal from eye glasses (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12945)

warren va 09-07-2010 07:56 PM

Clear coat removal from eye glasses

:(I was helping a friend spray my 29 tudor fenders and got some clear
coat overspray on my plastic eye glass lense. If Someone else has made the same mistake or know of a method to remove this I would appreciate your help. I dont think it would be wise to use anything with solvent on plastic.
Thanks
warren

MCHinson 09-07-2010 08:06 PM

Re: Clear coat removal from eye glasses

I'll bet your optician has seen this problem before and probably knows what to use. I would call them for advice. If they don't have any suggestion, I would try a product called Goo Gone. It is available from multiple sources including Wal-Mart and similar stores. I have used it to remove a few paint specks from my plastic lenses in the past without doing any damage. No guarantee it will work for you but Good Luck!

Curt Campbell 09-07-2010 08:08 PM

I have been able to use lacquer thinner to remove it from my better plastic lenses. A few years back I had bought a cheepo pair from a discount glasses place, got some overspray on them, tried the lacquer thinner and they virtually disintegrated...it melted them. I have also used the very fine rubbing compound i use for buffing the color sanding scratches from clear coat....that worked fine too and didnt damage my lenses.

Dont know what your lenses would withstand....

I seldom have overspray on my lenses since I use a fresh air supplied full mask when I paint.

bobscogin 09-07-2010 08:12 PM

Try petroleum jelly.

Bob

Bill Milholland 09-07-2010 08:15 PM

Warren,
Take the glasses to an optical shop. They will be able to remove the clear cote from them. Most of them make adjustments to various tints in tinted glasses and the same technology will remove the clear coat offering a much better solution to your delema. Bill

TechNova 09-07-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warren va (Post 75128)
:(I was helping a friend spray my 29 tudor fenders and got some clear
coat overspray on my plastic eye glass lense. If Someone else has made the same mistake or know of a method to remove this I would appreciate your help. I dont think it would be wise to use anything with solvent on plastic.
Thanks
warren

Let me know if the optometrist helps, everything we have tried in the body shop (except prevention!) has failed.

warren va 09-07-2010 10:17 PM

Thanks to all for your replies. I will take them to the folks I purchased them fromin the morning.
warren

Model A Man 09-07-2010 10:49 PM

clay bar? may be?

Russ/40 09-07-2010 10:55 PM

I did the same thing, only with epoxy primer. The best solution was to use my finger nail. You can scratch them off without scratching the lens, as your fingernail is to soft to scratch. Took a while but it all came off safely.

warren va 09-08-2010 07:22 AM

My wife sugested her fingernail polish remover. I tried it on an el cheapo pair first and didn't see any ill effects. By golly it cleaned the paint off and they are just like new.
The brand name is ,Cutex quick and gentle polish remover. Leave it up to the little woman to come up with an idea like that.
warren

Skeezixx 09-08-2010 08:11 AM

I am an optician. Just remove the lenses and soak them in acetone.
There are lots of different types of "plastics." Eyeglass lenses are made of a polymer resin called CR-39. Acetone won't hurt them.
That's how we do it at the lab.

Tom from Drippin' 09-08-2010 09:28 AM

Not what you asked about........but........if you were spraying a clear coat that contained the bad stuff (isocarnates...probably spelled wrong), you should be worried about your eyes.
I use, and recommend, a full hood with "Hobby Air" breathing air supply.
It's scarry to hear the long term effects of these paints and how they go for exposed skin and eyes.

rotorwrench 09-08-2010 10:04 AM

Luckily overspray is usually mostly dry before it sticks to your glasses. If you act fast right after spraying you can use naptha based solvents like wax & grease removed that don't have much of a reactive effect on plastic. If you wait too much longer longer then acetone as Skeezixx mentioned would be the best bet. Denatured alchohol will work if you wipe it real quick but it's kind of a gamble.

Ken Ehrenhofer 09-08-2010 11:44 AM

I use MEK a member of the Ketone family of solvents along with Acetone. MEK is also the largest component in Lacquer thinner. So the bottom line is you could probably use any of the three. MEK, Acetone or lacquer thinner. I have cheap readers from Walgreens and MEK works well on those,
Good luck,
Ken

Kevin in NJ 09-08-2010 11:57 AM

Denatured Alcohol.

I have used that to remove over spray from my plastic lenses.

The question is, what will it do to any fancy protective coatings, anti glare, or auto darken stuff.

SHEC 09-08-2010 06:34 PM

Kevin -

Try the all American favorite - WD40, been there - done that with my own "extra eyes". A gentle touch is the key and a little patience. Good luck!

CS

FlatheadTed 09-08-2010 06:42 PM

For the ones I recover from the grass after the mowers been over them ,I use a bik lighter ,a little heat goes along way ,just rub them at the same time ,The Esperance is a bit like running a gas torch across your fingernails accidently. LOL

Doug Linden 09-08-2010 08:04 PM

I had overspray black paint on my new glasses and took them to the local eyeglass shop and they cleaned them up in no time, and no charge either.

TechNova 09-08-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeezixx (Post 75309)
I am an optician. Just remove the lenses and soak them in acetone.
There are lots of different types of "plastics." Eyeglass lenses are made of a polymer resin called CR-39. Acetone won't hurt them.
That's how we do it at the lab.

I have acetone at home but not at work, will have to bring a work pair home and try it next time.

Marvin/TN 09-11-2010 04:44 PM

Lacquer thinner will remove the over spray and if yoiu glasses are good ones it will not harm them. I do it all the time, usually everytime I paint a car or parts . I have both a full face mask and hood, the problem is that putting them on your glasses get all catty wampus and you can't see. I use just a half mask and good venlation.