The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   borg warner o/d (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217174)

erl 03-21-2017 10:19 PM

borg warner o/d

I have a borg warner o/drive on my twin spinner but the shift rail lockout solenoid has nothing behind it. there should be a plunger of some sort.
does anyone have a sample to measure so I can make one?

deuce_roadster 03-21-2017 10:57 PM

Re: borg warner o/d

You lost me at "twin spinner" erl!

tubman 03-21-2017 11:50 PM

I'll take a crack at it; "Twin spinner" = 1951 Ford. ('49-'50's are "Single spinners".)

Graeme / New Zealand 03-22-2017 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1446255)
I'll take a crack at it; "Twin spinner" = 1951 Ford. ('49-'50's are "Single spinners".)

You're an "honourary Kiwi" Tubman.

GB

Mac VP 03-22-2017 03:33 AM

The original reverse lockout switch would have had a short plunger protruding from the mounting flange side. When the transmission is shifted into reverse, the lockout rail pushes backwards and depresses the plunger. This, in effect, opens the circuit to the governor. The end result is cutting the power to the solenoid (taking the transmission out of overdrive).

The lockout switch was determined to be a redundant control and was eliminated by Ford after 1951. In the factory service bulletins there is one covering this issue. Rather than replacing a defective lockout switch, they recommended keeping it in place, but bypassing it electrically. Keeping the actual switch mounted to the transmission prevents gear oil leaking from the opening. It can be bypassed because there was always a mechanical part of the transmission that took it out of overdrive whenever you shifted into reverse.

Just connect the two wires together. I recommend soldering them together and covering the joint with heat shrink sleeve. Or run a new wire replacing the two leads.

rotorwrench 03-22-2017 09:01 AM

Some of the transmissions had a ball bearing in there too where they mounted the switch at a 90 degree angle from the lock out rod. The rod pushed the ball and in turn pushed the switch plunger. There were several switch versions depending on the application. I think the main reason for the switch was when you have the transmission locked out with the cable pull. It kept the shift solenoid from energizing after the governor switch closed. It couldn't shift but it was using up electrical current when it wasn't necessary. Most folks used the overdrive more than not so they discontinued the switch. The only time I ever pulled the cable out was in running up & down mountain roads in Colorado. In Kansas, we never pulled the cable into lock out unless we were towing a trailer. This was a 1951 Mercury application.

Frank Miller 03-23-2017 05:52 AM

He lost me at shift rail lockout solenoid. The only solenoid is bolted to the side of the transmission, underneath for a convertible in 49-50

flathead4rd 03-23-2017 10:02 AM

I think they are talking about the governor located on the opposite side at the rear of the trans.

Mike51Merc 03-23-2017 10:19 AM

It's called a rail switch. As said before, eliminated in 1951 as unnecessary.

erl 03-23-2017 06:38 PM

thanks for the info guys.
murray.

tubman 03-24-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand (Post 1446284)
You're an "honourary Kiwi" Tubman.
GB

Hey, thanks man! I don't know if I can live up to it, but I do try to drink a lot of beer!