The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Radiator cap removal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46577)

cuda 09-03-2011 10:52 AM

Radiator cap removal

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I've got a fyling quail cap that seems frozen and won't turn loose from the radiator. I did remove the set screw. Does anyone have a trick to help get this off? Thanks for any help.

fordfixer 09-03-2011 11:12 AM

Re: Radiator cap removal

I wrap them with a heavy cloth and then use a chain wrench. Doesn't mar the Quail and have always been able to get them off. Just watch the neck of the rad. so it doesn't break loose. Jon

johnbuckley 09-03-2011 01:11 PM

slosh lots of penetrating oil overnight, then gentle taps with a hammer onto a piece of hardwood ( so as not to damage the plating) at the boss where the hinge is at the back did it for me.

29RPU 09-03-2011 01:22 PM

Hey, I have the same problem and was actually going to post that question! :) you beat me to it! Thanks Cuda.

Both of the above suggestions make me worry about the radiator spout, but I guess what option do we have. I'm going to try marvel mystery oil on mine because that stuff seems like it will work into a weld.

Ron Lowe 09-03-2011 01:34 PM

Sears sells a tool that has a rubber strap that goes through handle. It really works great without scratching the finish. I know that's a pour description but maybe someone could post a picture of it. I think it sells for less than $20. Ron

cuda 09-03-2011 01:39 PM

Ron, I've tried that rubber strap tool. I couldn't get enough grip between the strap and the cap. It just slipped. I've soaked the cap in some penetrating lube now. I think I'm going to try the chain wrench, carefully.

1931 flamingo 09-03-2011 02:41 PM

50/50 mix of acetone and ATF, it works.
Paul in CT

RcT 09-03-2011 02:53 PM

My gas cap wouldn't budge on my '29 coupe... the screw on kind. Not having a chain wrench, I cut a piece of an old leather belt, wrapped it around the gas cap and secured the ends with vise grips. Used it like a wrench and off it came. Should work for the radiator also, I would think. Careful you don't snap the neck of the radiator. Good luck.

ldj1002 09-03-2011 02:55 PM

Mine was so hard to get off I decided I was lucky not to damage the neck. I am not going to use it ever again.

Ron Lowe 09-03-2011 03:54 PM

Let us know how it works. Good luck Ron

29RPU 09-03-2011 04:10 PM

Maybe those rubber oil filter wrenches???? Is that what's mentioned above? I think I'll lube mine up and try that. Sort-of-a toned down version of the chain wrench.

Fred K-OR 09-03-2011 04:51 PM

Mine had a "set screw" that you use one of those allen wrenches to take out. I did not know it and sort of messed up my threads. You may want to look around the bottom of the thing to see if you have one.

Opps, did not see you removed it. Thus try one of the things the other guys mentioned.

cuda 09-03-2011 05:57 PM

I tried another version of the "strap wrench" that I got Lowes. The strap was like a belted piece of rubber, somewhat like modern radiator hose material. It still wouldn't grip well enough. I hesitat to pound on hinge bracket with hammer and would. I'll try to find an actual chain wrench.

cuda 09-03-2011 06:01 PM

Apparently, I typed that last line too fast. Should have said hammer and wood.

Milton 09-04-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29RPU (Post 267039)
Both of the above suggestions make me worry about the radiator spout, but I guess what option do we have. I'm going to try marvel mystery oil on mine because that stuff seems like it will work into a weld.

Not to worry, I just killed a quail cap and finished the repairs today. Of course when the bird died so did the Moto-meter and the neck solder cracked a third of the way around. I pulled the shell and torched off the neck then used some honest 60/40 lead solder and stuck the neck back on. Put a straight radiator cap on and presto, on the road again. :D

700rpm 09-04-2011 05:06 PM

I just removed a quail with the same problem from my '29. I wrapped it around the base of the cap with soft leather and used a large pipe wrench. I gently turned it first as if I was tightening it; then again very gently applied pressure as to loosen it. It came off with no problems. Someone (not me) had put it on with some kind of locktite sealer.

Quail cap for sale, with thermometer, good condition, need set screw: $40 plus shipping. :)

cuda 09-05-2011 10:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I never was able to remove. Perhaps the pipe wrench method is worth trying but I'm afraid of slipping. I just took the whole radiator out and left the shell on, so I'm working around it. I has wanted the shell off so I could dress up the radiator a bit.

1931 flamingo 09-05-2011 10:25 AM

How are you going to refill the radiator??
Paul in CT

cuda 09-05-2011 10:37 AM

The quail still opens up and tilts back. I just couldn't free the base.

1931 flamingo 09-05-2011 10:41 AM

Ah so.
Paul in CT