The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   gas tank dog leg.............. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176937)

ronn 08-29-2015 02:33 PM

gas tank dog leg..............

is anyone selling these, or only make it yourself???

Mitch//pa 08-29-2015 03:29 PM

Re: gas tank dog leg..............

i believe you have to make it yourself

ronn 08-29-2015 07:27 PM

and a run of 1000 would cost.....................?

;)

quickchange 08-29-2015 07:48 PM

so whats a gas tank dog leg ??pip please .

Roadster62 08-29-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange (Post 1147572)
so whats a gas tank dog leg ??pip please .

50+ years in the hobby and this is the first one anyone ever mentioned, photo would be helpful. Bob

Mitch//pa 08-29-2015 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture

DougVieyra 08-30-2015 01:45 AM

Several references to this - try a FORD BARN Forum "search". There are also other descriptions of this on a 'google' search.

I followed the easy to understand description / instructions found on these sites. I purchased all necessary plumbing components from a local hardware store - nothing weird or out-of-the-ordinary. This is an extremely easy thing to put together yourself, and it WORKS !

rob63mess 08-30-2015 01:57 AM

What's it's purpose?

Tom Wesenberg 08-30-2015 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob63mess (Post 1147667)
What's it's purpose?

It's a straight shot down for rust and junk to collect and to be easily dumped.

WTSHNN 08-30-2015 09:06 AM

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/kellyshutoff.htm

DougVieyra 08-30-2015 09:22 AM

re: WTSHNN post:
This is another example of "A picture is worth a thousand words." -
- or, "Straight from the horses mouth".
Thanks WYSHNN for most succinctly showing a link to the answer.

ronn 08-30-2015 12:30 PM

Well, it looks easy to make, but since I have a to do list of over 100 things, was hoping someone was making them and selling them...............................

so this is 101

quickchange 08-30-2015 04:30 PM

Thanks for pic & what its for, Thought sediment bowl did the same, Plus if crap gets into the tap this can cause it to mark the tapered seat causing it to leak ,Why not just use the pencil filter BEFORE it gets to the tap ?? Or clean the tank out 1st, No point in shutting the gate after the horse has bolted, or am I missing something as usual ??

Roadster62 08-30-2015 08:47 PM

The Kelly Kontraption will save around $750.+ over the remove, clean, repaint the tank method. Bob

ronn 08-30-2015 09:20 PM

for the time being, I did install the pencil filter which I had and also a 2.00 filter after the bowl before entering the carb...................

will get to it when I get to it.
thanks!

Mike V. Florida 08-30-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Kelly (Post 1148129)
... you will be removing the debris from the tank.

Big advantage!

DougVieyra 08-30-2015 10:13 PM

The 'Pencil' filter and standard bowl filter do NOT remove debris from the gas tank - the 'Dog Leg' does. Slowly and over a bit of time (six months, or so), with constant 'cleaning out' of the Dog leg, IT DOES clean out a great deal of the rust, tennis balls, and other junk in the tank. Certainly not as good as (gasp !) removing the tank - but a workable alternative that will go a long way to reducing the fouling of the two filters. - After the six months of driving and constantly cleaning out the Dog Leg, when the gas tank finally becomes 'miserly' in depositing debris in the Dog Leg, then it is time to install the 'Pensil' filter.

Junk will still continue to accumulate, but at significantly greater intervals, with MUCH more driving time before the issue once again becomes active. So DON'T throw your Dog Leg away ! You will probably need to use it again every couple of years. Remember, the gas tank interior will continue to flake rust particles, as part of the problem of using a 85 year old 'tin can'. It still beats yanking the tank out, which is required to do the job 'properly'.

ronn 08-30-2015 11:07 PM

Thanks Doug, I am aware. Just figured something was better then nothing for the moment and dont want to clog out the carb, which had just been rebuilt.

quickchange 08-31-2015 09:13 PM

One is never too old to learn ,thanks for explaining ,