The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reproduction fuel tank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94254)

Gold Digger 01-10-2013 04:45 PM

Reproduction fuel tank

I don't need one but just wondered if there is a source for new fuel tanks. Seems like someone ought to be making them somewhere.

frank mcdaniels 01-10-2013 04:58 PM

Re: Reproduction fuel tank

Gold Digger, Like most things this has been discussed here before.Apparently the tooling to do this would not be cost effective, so no one has done it. Maybe someone some day will make a plastic reproduction if the market warrants it. I doubt if most guys would want a plastic one anyway. There still are originals available now and then if you watch the swap sight. Frank

John LaVoy 01-10-2013 05:07 PM

I understand it is the liability that is the problem with making the tank that sits in your lap.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-10-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John LaVoy (Post 569239)
I understand it is the liability that is the problem with making the tank that sits in your lap.

:p As opposed to the reproduction one that you sit on (such as 'one would buy for a Model-T), --or like one found on a motorcycle?? ;) :D

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-10-2013 10:58 PM

I found my STICK, again,
If it was "ECONOMICALLY FEASIBLE" some company COULD build a totally correct, authentic Model A, in the most sought after body style!:D Only problem, when finished, it would be OBSOLETE! Bill W.

Kurt in NJ 01-10-2013 11:29 PM

I would think the problem is the cost---profit --investment ratio

How much would you pay for a "perfect" reproduction gas tank

It's made with a lot of parts (for a gas tank)---complex stampings in metal that is thicker than most gas tanks --fancy cast and machined fittings, many mounting holes and flanges that that HAVE to be in the correct place ----

How much would you pay??? --would you buy one at 1500$

earbleeder 01-11-2013 11:13 AM

There has to be somebody who knows somebody who knows a guy that can stamp these things out in limited quantities where a liability release could be signed if needed, for under a million bucks. Maybe a group buy thing. Example, there was this company that made a billet aluminum oil pan for a motorcyle. They stopped making it. Someone found an old one. They found a shop to reproduce it on a CNC machine. The shop said buy X many and the price goes considerably down. So they did.
Now. Where's that guy for the tanks?

Special Coupe Frank 01-11-2013 12:12 PM

According to some of the Model A history books, the gas tank was one of the most complex stampings / assemblies in the entire vehicle.

Or maybe Jay Leno can crank-out gas tanks with his "3-D Printer" ? :p

Roadster62 01-11-2013 12:48 PM

Step up and pay $250.00 or LESS for an ORIGINAL, why look for a problem were there isn't one? Bob....................If you are REAL smart cut the top off every crappy A tank you can find and swap it with MONEY to a Hot Rodder that plans to cut up a useable stock A tank.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earbleeder (Post 569658)
There has to be somebody who knows somebody who knows a guy that can stamp these things out in limited quantities where a liability release could be signed if needed, for under a million bucks. Maybe a group buy thing. Example, there was this company that made a billet aluminum oil pan for a motorcyle. They stopped making it. Someone found an old one. They found a shop to reproduce it on a CNC machine. The shop said buy X many and the price goes considerably down. So they did.
Now. Where's that guy for the tanks?

Speaking as someone who has seen more than just a few of these from the inside, I can tell you there is quite a bit of subtile differences in all the different tanks. If you had to tool up to cover all of the different ones, it would likely take about the same amount was what the winning proceeds from the Powerball lottery payout would be!!

We can repair a stock Model-A gas tank and make it as good as new with just one exception. I cannot affordably coat the inside of the tank with a metalized product such as Terne or Galvanize that would offer assurance that future fuels would be impervious. My only option is to use a non-catalyzed coating to seal the tank. If someone wants to figure out a process to coat the inside for a lifetime, I have figured out how to restore the inside where existing tanks can be refurbished. No need to re-invent the wheel by reproducing the whole tank IMHO.

Big John 01-11-2013 01:03 PM

and no matter who repros the tank, it still would not fit as an original.....just saying; compare all the other repro parts out there against originals.... all are not quite the same as originals.....

Richard Wilson 01-11-2013 01:49 PM

I have thought about this for awhile and my ideal would be to just reproduce the tank bottom instead of the entire tank. Most defective tanks that I have ever seen have holes and heavy rust in the bottom while the top is perfect. A competent certified welder could weld the new bottom to the top. By making just the bottom piece I think the liability insurance would be less, the manufacturing would be way less, and the tank would actually fit the cowl. In this case less would be more in my opinion.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-11-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John (Post 569732)
and no matter who repros the tank, it still would not fit as an original.....just saying; compare all the other repro parts out there against originals.... all are not quite the same as originals.....

"All" is a pretty broad statement considering there are some items that have been reproduced that are as original. I think it is more about who is doing the manufacturing.

[email protected] 01-11-2013 03:33 PM

In this brave new world the next BIG thing is 3-D printing for the home user. This technology that uses AutoCAD software interfacing with a 3-D printer you so you can build your own plastic prototype pieces. Companies like LEGO are getting concerned that all you will have to do soon is buy one of their pieces and then you could duplicate this part exactly time and time again. There goes their profitable market..... It is similar to what happened to the Music Industry with everyone pirating their MP3 music files for their IPODs.

This technology is making rapid advances in doing parts now in powdered metal instead of plastic. It is already being used in knee replacement ball and sockets. Future space missions will not take a tool box but a 3-D printer and the software for making every part used in their craft..

So in the near future some home hobbiest with one of these 3-D printers will start to make his own Motormeters, shifter forks, etc... So we just have to wait for the fuel tank......

newshirt 01-11-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 569835)
In this brave new world the next BIG thing is 3-D printing for the home user.

A while back, I began wondering how antique car collectors a hundred years from now would restore a "simple" car like a 2013 Ford Fiesta. They may look simple, but there are thousands upon thousands of parts. It's not exactly feasible in today's average garage.

But what if you could download 3D libraries containing printing commands for every part in a Ford Fiesta, or a Ford Model A? Just find your part and print it. The repro part manufactures would sell libraries instead of physical parts. Download a gas tank library and print.

Mike V. Florida 01-11-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newshirt (Post 569843)
A while back, I began wondering how antique car collectors a hundred years from now would restore a "simple" car like a 2013 Ford Fiesta.

The will have rotted away long before anyone would want to restore one. The computer and the chips will have long stopped being manufactured.

In my opinion.

matt92vr4 01-11-2013 04:19 PM

My Prius has an expandable bladder instead of a tank. I think it would be possible to use something like this inside the original tank.

Barry B./ Ma. 01-11-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt92vr4 (Post 569863)
My Prius has an expandable bladder instead of a tank. I think it would be possible to use something like this inside the original tank.

Good thought but the internal baffles would have to be removed from the original tank.

Tom Wesenberg 01-11-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. (Post 569888)
Good thought but the internal baffles would have to be removed from the original tank.

Also the float guage wouldn't work with a bladder.

dumb person 01-12-2013 04:32 AM

Making a repro' bottom of the tank seems like a good idea if you can make it fairly universal fit, as is selling a repro' top of the tank without the bottom ( & someone like me would buy both pieces and fit them together).

Does anyone actually own a 3d printer? i thought those cost as much as a CNC lathe thing (priced in $millions).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 569920)
Also the float guage wouldn't work with a bladder.

Might work if the gauge face was enclosed as part of the bladder. 2 openings for potential leaks then though.