The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Another reason I hate Postal money orders (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173016)

mrtexas 07-09-2015 05:44 PM

Another reason I hate Postal money orders

I sold some Model A parts to a barner and requested a personal check or +3% for paypal. I got a postal money order instead. Just happened to be at the PO which I try to avoid like the plague and I attempted to cash the MO after waiting in line with 15 people and two clerks. I give it to the clerk and she disappears for several minutes. "They are checking on the MO." Oh well, just give it back to me! Several more minutes of waiting to get it back and still not cashed. Next time I will say if your send me a postal MO I will send it back in addition to send me a personal check or +3% for paypal. Oh and if the idiot Federal postal employees lose your letter with a postal MO in it and you can find your receipt, you pay $5 to see if someone has cashed it and then 6 months to get your money back. Can't find the receipt, you lost your money. I'm out $58 for that one. Now why is it that so my barners like postal MOs?

NealinCA 07-09-2015 05:51 PM

Re: Another reason I hate Postal money orders

I have never had a problem cashing a postal MO or depositing them at my bank.

Did they say why they would not cash it? Did you try your bank?

42merc 07-09-2015 05:56 PM

They work for me.
I deposit them at my bank & they magically turn into money.

Jason in TX 07-09-2015 05:56 PM

Yeah. Don't you take postal money orders to the bank? Why did you go to the post office?

Jason in TX 07-09-2015 05:57 PM

The reason people SEND postal money orders is that you can guarantee it's real money to put into your bank. You don't have to wait 4 days for their personal check to clear or bounce.

Fordors 07-09-2015 06:00 PM

Just think, had you not requested that 3% for the use of PayPal you could have avoided all that grief. BTW, I'm retired and never worked for the Feds, but regardless, when you say "idiot Federal postal employees..." you are painting with a very large brush.

f1builder 07-09-2015 06:22 PM

you sound pretty impatient per your post, try to relax, this is supposed to be fun. i have been using usps m.o.'s for 30 years or so and have never had a problem and it is fast and more secure than personal checks or paypal. in my opinion. i have had to wait in line as long as 4 or 5 minutes at times but it don't bother me as there is usually someone interesting in line to visit with.

JSeery 07-09-2015 06:24 PM

3% on $58 is ~$1.75, it would not be worth the trip to the bank or PO to me. I us PayPal a lot and like the convenience, fast (almost instant) and no travel or hassle involved. I know every method of payment can have issues from time to time, but so far loving PayPal.

Chuck Kuntz 07-09-2015 06:30 PM

My bank charges $20 if the check I try to cash in no good. They put a hold against my account for all other types of payment. Perhaps my bank is a little greedy. I can get cash for a Postal Money Order on the spot.

robert dick 07-09-2015 06:35 PM

i perfer a postal money order, or a bank money order, cash them at my bank , never a problem

tubman 07-09-2015 06:43 PM

I am another who has never had a problem with a postal money order. Maybe something else went wrong.You get to appreciate the USPS when you live up in the sticks like I do. I'd hate to have to be dependant on solely "Market-Driven" delivery services up here.

CC33 07-09-2015 06:51 PM

I used P/O Money Orders for years with no issues. ALWAYS cashing them at the P/O, until Paypal came along. Instant payment is the way to go.

Pete 07-09-2015 06:56 PM

I am with Mr. Texas on this one.
You wonder why the post office is going broke?
When the lady that had run our local postoffice for 20 years quit
because of all the increased paper work, rules and BS, they had to hire 3 people to handle the work.
Granted, the 3 are real dim bulbs but that is 2 extra people we are paying to do a lousy job. I don't have much faith in the post office any more.

FlatheadTed 07-09-2015 07:25 PM

,PayPal the only way go ,Over here' its Bank to Bank on the internet ,so everyone has a internet bank acc with your bank ,its set up a bit like PayPal .You can transfer money between your account and the customers ,instant results , Ted

TJ 07-09-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordors (Post 1117806)
Just think, had you not requested that 3% for the use of PayPal you could have avoided all that grief. BTW, I'm retired and never worked for the Feds, but regardless, when you say "idiot Federal postal employees..." you are painting with a very large brush.

I never had a problem with a postal money order. Is it possible that you may have entered the PO with the wrong attitude? I've always found all the employees at my local PO to be very helpful and very nice. They have even advised me of different ways to ship to save money. Looks like most of the posters here have had good luck with the USPS. I'd rather have a PO money order than get a check that bounces. Your own bank will charge you for that one to the tune of $25, so you can add that to your loss.

Binx 07-09-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1117849)
I am with Mr. Texas on this one.
You wonder why the post office is going broke?
When the lady that had run our local postoffice for 20 years quit
because of all the increased paper work, rules and BS, they had to hire 3 people to handle the work.
Granted, the 3 are real dim bulbs but that is 2 extra people we are paying to do a lousy job. I don't have much faith in the post office any more.

My old post office in the '90s was in an old general store. Pigeon holes behind the counter just like in the Waltons. Postal big dogs told Mr. Clements he'd have to start wearing collared shirts daily and that was the end of that Post Office.

Anyway, Post Offices don't deal with a lot of cash - usually cards. So don't ever expect them to have your cash on-hand unless you're okay with a bag of coins.

Lonnie

Buford 07-09-2015 08:22 PM

Never had a problem with USPS money orders coming my way or going the other way...you buy them with real cash and get real cash when you cash them in...Works for me!

paul2748 07-09-2015 08:40 PM

Like the others, I never had a problem with postal money orders. The local post office doesn't give me any type of hassle cashing them although they do check to see if their not stolen. I prefer them to paypal.

Rowdy 07-09-2015 08:42 PM

Never had a problem cashing them at the bank. I have not tried to cash them at the PO. Seem to get over 20 of them every year. No problems. Rod

Corn Fed 07-09-2015 08:53 PM

I only use USPS M/O's. Don't have to worry about personal checks bouncing, can cash them at my bank or the USPS, and they are cheap to get. I ususally cash them when I'm there sending the part I just sold. Easy 1 stop for me.