The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Y Block Rocker Shaft Overflow Tube (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66477)

all american boy 03-26-2012 04:23 PM

Y Block Rocker Shaft Overflow Tube

1 Attachment(s)
Fordy's

this talk about 'pressurizing' the rocker shafts.

it's a little clearer to say removing and

plugging where the overflow tubes were.

i'm not going to 'jump ship' on the Ford engineers

that made it this way.

sure probably all Ford engines after this

were rocker shafts only no overflow tubes.

that doesn't prove anything in my book.

Have A Nice Day!

rick55 03-26-2012 08:01 PM

Re: Y Block Rocker Shaft Overflow Tube

Although they Are called overflow tubes they do also provide lubrication for the distributor gear and the timing gears and chain. Just plugging the tubes without making the mods that Tim McMaster suggests will accelerate the wear of these components. I think it was Ole Don who simply restricts the output of the tubes to still accomplish this.
Regards

all american boy 03-26-2012 11:18 PM

mr 55

i would think engine and oiling system were

made to leak out so much oil in all the

different spots.

plugging two of them up sounds like it

might not be a good thing back

'down the pipeline'!:)

Have A Nice Day!

Bill Steiner 03-27-2012 10:43 AM

Like they say they are put there for a reason. I would NOT remove. Bill

Ole Don 03-27-2012 10:57 AM

Dont plug them. If someone would send a detailed discription of how to post pictures here, I'll write it up and show how I do mine. I have pctures of them with ten years service, they look as if they were put together yesterday.

all american boy 03-27-2012 09:25 PM

fordy's

blocking OR restricting is not the way the

engine was designed.

i'm leaving them be.

i got enough work to do getting end plugs

out of rockershafts and running brush down through them.

Have A Nice Day!

rick55 03-27-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Dont plug them. If someone would send a detailed discription of how to post pictures here, I'll write it up and show how I do mine. I have pctures of them with ten years service, they look as if they were put together yesterday.
Don, I upload all my photos to photobucket then when I want to post I simply paste the "IMG Code" directly into my reply post from the image information on photobucket. This is represented by chain link when the photo is opened in photobucket. It is the easiest way I have found. Works on all forums that allow pictures to be posted.
I usually use an iPad so have not set up a photo album under my profile. To do that I need to use my desktop computer which I hardly use.
Regards

Frankenstein57 03-27-2012 11:21 PM

Just got home from helping my friend fire up his 292 for the first time, we were just talking about this topic, and here it is on the top of the list.We didn't see much oil up in the valve covers, rocker shafts, so we shimmed up the oil pump spring and got good flow. That's when this idea came up. We both used to circle track 406 and427 FE's, the circle track trick on those was to insert a copper tube in the oil gallery hole to the rocker shafts, then screw in a carb jet. Worked good, nice flow at the rockers, plenty of oil down below. Mark

rick55 03-27-2012 11:32 PM

It is not a good idea to restrict the flow to the rockers unless you have made modification to the centre cam bearing to increase flow up top. Ted Eaton increases flow to the rockers by machining a groove behind the centre cam bearing, but stipulates not to make the groove too deep or it will take oil from general circulation and flood the rockers. He does not mention restricting flow however.
You can check what he does by referring to yblocksforever or going to his website.
There is a lot of debate about whether it is beneficial to restrict the rocker tubes - Tim McMaster swears by it.
Regards

all american boy 03-27-2012 11:38 PM

mr 55

between this and the rocker arms

i've got some serious time coming

with the diesel fuel, parts cleaning brush & pan.

i'm going to get it clean and all passages clean

and then see what's what.

it's going in Drag T so pulling engine backout is no big.

Have A Nice Day!

46yblock 03-28-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by all american boy (Post 395139)
fordy's

blocking OR restricting is not the way the

engine was designed.

i'm leaving them be.

i got enough work to do getting end plugs

out of rockershafts and running brush down through them.

Have A Nice Day!

The engine was designed 60 years ago! A few things have been learned since then. Enlarge the center cam journal groove for one. DuraBond cam bearings have recently been redesigned to improve Y top end oiling. C2AE rods were an improvement over the original EBU. C2AE blocks were an improvement over EDB. Longer main cap bolts were an improvement over earlier shorter ones. ARP bolts are an improvement over stock rod bolts. Forged pistons are an improvement over the original cast pistons. Forged HD cranks were an improvement over cast cranks. B 4V intakes are better than earlier A's. ..........

Hivolt5.0 03-28-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ole Don (Post 394692)

Don,

If you want, put your pics and narrative into a Word document and email it to me and I'll be glad to post it all for you. I'd really like to see your process on this. I can PM my email address to you if you'd like.

54mainlinetim 03-28-2012 01:51 PM

Like many engines designed in the past there has been many improvements and why we are driving way superior engines in vehicles produced today,not only engine's but ,brakes, steering, just vehicles in general....My y-block is just plain ol' stock 272 that is just driven around town so it does the job the designers made it for,but i belive from the 50's design im sure they didnt hit the nail on the head with every aspect of the engine(for instance using the upgraded 57 and up distributor)..... i wouldnt mind having my rockers modifed but i dont feel qualified to do the job myself..........with any type of customization to vehicles, if it be to engines for upgrades or to making body sheet metal changes to make it look better in your opinion,,, there will always gonna be some that agree or disagree,nay-sayers....."IMO" I feel that tim mcmaster has proven time and time again with all the high performance y-blocks and y-blocks in general that he builds,that this modification works well,just take a look at you tube at his videos had see,he even has videos defending himself and modification on there........i dont have money or experience or extra y-blocks to build so i just drive mine as is, I say if you dont feel comfortable with the modifacation then dont do it and leave it at that, in other words "dont knock it tell you tried it",or better yet make some videos of a y-block with the arms pressurized and the harm its doing to back up there reason you disapprove.........

with any design there is always room for improvement's....

Just tried of statements with no back-up! atleast try to prove it yourself before you talk on it,how about taking a stab at proving it to yourself:
Quote:

Originally Posted by all american boy (Post 394088)

i'm not going to 'jump ship' on the Ford engineers

that made it this way.

sure probably all Ford engines after this

were rocker shafts only no overflow tubes.

that doesn't prove anything in my book.

Have A Nice Day!

Have A Nice Day!

Y-Blockhead 03-28-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick55 (Post 394261)
Although they Are called overflow tubes they do also provide lubrication for the distributor gear and the timing gears and chain.

The oil from the rockers still drains back into the valley to lube the distributor gear and the timing gears and chain. Nothing changes in that respect.

With the addition of Tim's mod the front block the timing chain gets more than enough lubrication.

The shaft should also be grooved ( It's groovy, man) for better oil dispersion and the farthest right shaft stand (the one that used to have the overflow tube) be modified to vent any vapor.

I'm running Dove rockers and I feel that the pressurized system is the way to go (for me) to ensure an oil "cushion" between the aluminum rocker and the steel shaft.

Not trying to change anyones mind, just saying what I feel is best for my engine.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...ictureid=14272
Notice in this picture I do have the O/F tube installed though it was pinched way down.

all american boy 03-28-2012 11:22 PM

fordy's

that oil pump has a volume and a pressure.

it delivers so much oil in so much time.

all those 'escapes' for the oil in the engine

can actually be measured.

ignoring facts and common sense and

doing something because 'somebody said so'

ain't the way you're going to see me doing anything!

Have A Nice Day!

Y-Blockhead 03-29-2012 05:02 PM

Aren't you the same guy that told 56 ford Custom to remove the cooler from his Fordo in his truck and replace it with :eek: HOSE :eek:.

I would say that is "ignoring facts and common sense"...

Just my 1¢.

54mainlinetim 03-29-2012 05:06 PM

^^^^Hahaha! Thats some funny stuff right there ^^^^! Everytime I see a post from "All American boy" I think to my self not this guy again! LMAO

all american boy 03-29-2012 11:48 PM

fordy's

will post pic's of nice clean rocker shafts.

those overflow tubes sure look old timey!:)

it's going to be interesting cleaning

those out.

i think a little bath in carb cleaner ought to do it!:)

Have A Nice Day!

all american boy 04-01-2012 11:43 PM

54 mainline tim

this would probably make more sense to you

if you opened the hood of your car

once in a while!:)

it sounds like you've been 'main lining' something!

Have A Nice Day!

all american boy 04-01-2012 11:54 PM

y blockhead

you're turn.

i tried everything in the book with that

'56 custom guy to get him to do one thing

that made sense.

i've learned my lesson.

something didn't add up right with that guy.

i'm getting that feeling about you there buddy.

Redondo Beach?

you could pass for wearing a pair a coveralls and

workboots with your toes sticking out the front

of one of them.

i don't how you've survived over there.

i don't care either.

Have A Nice Day!

54mainlinetim 04-02-2012 12:37 AM

I think your a idiot truthfully and give shitty advice in all your posts and spam the board with useless posts, and to get the story straight ive had 3 y-blocks so far 239,272,292 so i think i know my way around one pretty well just dont have all proper tools to do machine work and if you knew who i was from other forums and seen my build threads you would know i have the hood open on a number of different cars over the years,and to further note i "main line" my ol' lady all the time!!....Something a all american "BOY" knows nothing about! Go "EAD" have a nice day :D LMAOROF!

all american boy 04-02-2012 01:02 AM

mainline

you hit the nail on the head!

by standing up to types like you

i want to prevent this forum from

turning into the forum you mentioned.

in fact, why don't you go over there

with your potty mouth and nonsense.

Have A Nice Day!

Y-Blockhead 04-02-2012 10:20 AM

Seriously? :rolleyes:

rick55 04-02-2012 08:29 PM

I have enjoyed this forum immensely, but I do not agree with insulting other members. I think "AAB" needs to take a step back before before putting pen to paper. This post seems to have got very personal very quickly. I agree that some of his posts seem a waste of effort and some of his advice has been dubious at best but this is why we have a forum. We all get the chance to give advice from our own experience. Some of us have been up to our elbows in these engines for longer than we care to admit. I am sure I don't have the most experience, but I have been working on these contraptions for 47 years, though I have only owned one since 1978. Before that I was a straight six owner.
There are people on this forum with all different levels of competence. I think this post needs closing down before it puts members against one another.
Regards

Frankenstein57 04-02-2012 10:17 PM

I would agree, everyone should play nice. If you don't agree with someones advice or comments, just move on. Mark

ford1 04-02-2012 10:35 PM

ive been following the discussion on pressurizing the rocker shaft, what is being missed here is getting the oil to the shafts in the first place, the oil passage to rocker shaft is a very poorly designed system, the oil comes up thru the block to the head where it then makes a 90 degree turn for about an inch and a half between the head and block and then makes another 90 degree turn thru the head to the rocker shaft and arms, it is that inch and a half passage between the block and head where all the trouble starts, the oil is cooked and turns to carbon and plugs up, when that happens no oil to the rockers, no way to clean that passage with out pulling the head, that when they started running a copper line from an oil passage on the side of the block to to a hollow rocker stand bolt going thru the rocker cover to get oil to the rockers, ugly as hell but it worked

rick55 04-03-2012 12:37 AM

Ford1 the problem was also with the first camshafts were cross drilled which when coupled with the old oils and the reluctance of people to change oil, the galleys sludged up. I have had no problems with galley ways in the same engine for twenty years, the secret is change the oil often and use the best you can afford.
Nowadays some cam bearings are grooved and all the cams are grooved (or at least all the ones I have seen) this makes sure there is adequate oil getting to the top. Ted Eaton recommends grooving the cente cam bearing post between the oil drillings which guarantees plenty of oil to the top, to the point where you may have to fit a restrictorin the galley.
Either way, itis not as much of a problem these days if you regularly maintain your engines.
Regards

LOWRIDER 04-03-2012 05:55 AM

My old man worked on yblocks at Ford dealers from day 1 when they came out. I heard all the stories about crossdrilled camshafts, warranty camshaft & lifter replacements, plugged oil passages, non detergent oils & aftermarket oilers. He even came up with a tool to clear that passage w/o pulling the heads.
The one thing I never heard him talk about was pressurized rocker shafts. I guess they were stuck putting things back together the way they came from the factory. I wish he was still around to ask him about it.
My rocker shafts are pressurized. My oil pressure runs 70psi cruising down the highway and a steady 40psi hot and at idle. The amount of oil draining back to the pan while its running far exceeds the amount with shafts that are not pressurized. IMO the "starving the timing chain & dist. gear" of oil is a myth. Ive run it this way for 3 years, had the engine apart a few times (camshaft changes) and have seen no lack of oil anywhere.

streetdreams 04-03-2012 07:02 AM

I am of the same opinion and have had the same teardown results as Lowrider. One thing being overlooked is oil throw off from the crank at the rod pins and counterweights. At any rpm, this is substantial, and more than enough to lube the distributor gear and timing set. In fact, probably too much, hence the constant issue of overloaded, leaking rear main seals. I have also read forum reports of observations on running engines of the lifter galley, investigating the need or not for lifter valley drain holes for additional cam/lifter lubrication. Based on the observations, none were needed, as there was an abundance oil oil throw off from the crank. This throw-off oil will serve to lube the distributor gears and timing set as well.
Lastly, in over 35 years of engine design, development and dynamometer testing, I never saw a situation where full pressure lubrication to moving parts was not an advantage, in lubrication as well as heat disapation, especially in a design like the Y-block rocker assembly. Time has proven it is doubtful those rockers saw enough lube from strickly oil " dripping out" the bottom of the shaft. I think Ford realized this and redesigned the FE rocker assemblies for full pressure lubrication, as well as a less tortured path for the oil to get there.
As stated earlier, one function of this forum is to present ideas, opinions and experiences. We are all free then to evaluate, investigate, modify and or use as we see fit. The above is how I see it.
Any Y-block I build or advise on follows the above ideas and modifications on oiling.

46yblock 04-03-2012 09:36 AM

On my last engine build I had the heads milled fairly heavily, .030 or so. That reduced the height of the horizontal oil passage in the head the same amount. Looking at the passage it was rough, and on one head very rough. So with a dremel the passage was deepened approx. the same amount as the heads were milled, and smoothed. Dont know if this helped but it seemed to make sense.

streetdreams 04-03-2012 12:05 PM

Makes sense to me Mike. I smooth that passage out, round the corner and deepen it a little as a matter of improvement on any Y-block heads I do.

GREENBIRD56 04-07-2012 09:24 PM

I agree with what you did Mike - its on my list of things to do with a new engine build. That horizontal passage needs to work well.

I don't think that any of us use the kind of oil that made all of that sludge we find in our old engines and salvage parts - not any more. That pretty much eliminates the need for those dumb add-on oilers when building a new motor and running it on these higher detergent oils.

The deeper cam groove - the added oiling grooves at the rocker feed holes - those make good practical sense to me too.

LukeDahlinger 04-08-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54mainlinetim (Post 396288)
^^^^Hahaha! Thats some funny stuff right there ^^^^! Everytime I see a post from "All American boy" I think to my self not this guy again! LMAO

LOL! Not trying to stir the pot here, but maybe if "All American Boy" would write in a paragraph instead of composing his posts like lines of poetry, it'd be a little easier to understand. Then again maybe not.

paul2748 04-08-2012 09:14 PM

These guys who you are insulting have contributed much on this and other forums and are respected car builders.. Your earlier postings have not impressed me very much as far as knowledge goes, and they way you post leaves a lot to be desired-hard to read. Reformat your computer so they can be read more easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by all american boy (Post 398613)
y blockhead

you're turn.

i tried everything in the book with that

'56 custom guy to get him to do one thing

that made sense.

i've learned my lesson.

something didn't add up right with that guy.

i'm getting that feeling about you there buddy.

Redondo Beach?

you could pass for wearing a pair a coveralls and

workboots with your toes sticking out the front

of one of them.

i don't how you've survived over there.

i don't care either.

Have A Nice Day!

Blackpearleb434 01-02-2014 05:45 AM

Just my two cents worth...I did pressurise my rocker gear after my rebuild and ran into problems, however I used valves and spring from a Holden 308 ....bigger intake and exhaust, of course I machined the heads to have them fit and also used Teflon seals where the heads were also machined to have them fit ( so it wasn't a normal situation granted)...I did this modification after I broke some push rods thinking that I had a lack of oil (in fact it was a bad match with the push rod cup and rocker arm adjuster screw) after pressurising the rockers the engine began to use oil and spark plugs were wet, what I found was that the rocker box was being flooded with oil and the oil was being drawn through the valve guides, went back to overflow tube set up and all was goo. I will say that it is a must to groove the rocker shaft holes to get the oil into the rocker arm properly. I just thought after reading this post (which was very interesting) I would share my experience. Cheers

Ole Don 01-02-2014 09:53 AM

I too used a bunch of aftermarket parts. While turning over the engine by hand to time it before first start up, I had the right rocker cover off to watch when number one was closed. I noticed that at full open, the top cup of the aftermarket tubular pushrods looked like they could bind on the rocker. Off they all came. My pushrods had a little ridge around the top about 1/16 down from the top. I simply ground down the pushrods, then debured the inside of the cup. Been running those parts since 1999.

Blackpearleb434 01-03-2014 05:57 AM

I ended up using a thicker solid aftermarket type with the ball and deeper cup not the one piece forged type, the valve springs I used were a bit heavier than standard... It was a real fluke as I broke number 4 exhaust and number 8 exhaust.... I thought somehow the valves clipped the block when it happened....(knowing full well I checked that before assembly) it was the simple fix as nothing go tangled up when they broke !