The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Painting cast head (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180144)

adileo 10-12-2015 06:06 PM

Painting cast head

I'm thinking about painting my cast heads on the car with a small brush. I think I can do it but, I am concerned about the spark plug area. My orginial thought was to put old plugs in and paint, but I don't think I can get the entire plug area.

Anyone do this? Any suggestions?

Ps: I have bolts and would be painting them same as head

NealinCA 10-12-2015 06:11 PM

Re: Painting cast head

In the past, I have cut little tape circles for the plug holes. I was spraying the engine, but I think it would work fine for brushing as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A/DSCN2665.jpg

51 MERC-CT 10-12-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adileo (Post 1171258)
My orginial thought was to put old plugs in and paint, but I don't think I can get the entire plug area

Don't know what you mean by "entire plug area".
Nothing wrong with using old plugs painting only to the plug washer.
Should not paint under the washer.

adileo 10-12-2015 06:33 PM

Neal that is one beautiful engine. While your tape looks like a perfect fit - I'd be afraid paint would get behind the tape.

51merc - ok I think that is best safest way for me to go.

One more question. I cleaned off all the dirt on the head, but around the plug is really tough to clean. Any suggestions for cleaning that area (really the base of the plug at the plug washer.

JSeery 10-12-2015 06:37 PM

Small roterty wire brush?

JM 35 Sedan 10-12-2015 07:37 PM

I've used old plugs for painting heads with brush or spray. Has always worked well for me. Still have the painted plugs in my plug collection incase I need to do more painting :).

chap52 10-13-2015 07:13 AM

Aluminum foil woks great to protect small parts you don't want to get paint on. Much easier to remove than tape.

adileo 10-13-2015 07:39 AM

As the norm with this site all great advise.

Additional tips/tricks will be much appreciated.

BABAR40 10-13-2015 07:40 AM

There may also be small corks available at hobby or craft stores for the plug holes. I would put an aluminum foil boot on the cork so particulate wouldn't fall into the piston bore. But having said all that, I would put an old set of spark plugs in and paint. Have fun!

adileo 10-13-2015 08:24 AM

For others that may want to paint heads. Just read on Bill Hirsch paint site, one should wait two weeks after painting (before driving) for paint to cure.

Joe Immler 10-13-2015 08:31 AM

Same as JM 35. I used plugs and the saved them. Also, I have a bunch of the chrome head nut covers to help around them. They clean up well after using them.

GOSFAST 10-13-2015 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We have some paper plugs for the spark plug holes that are used for delivering newly built units.

They fit directly into the plug holes and come in 14mm (PG-420) and 18mm (PG-421) for various plug sizes! Easily removed when necessary.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. They are mfd by Pioneer Products, should be relatively easy to find. We get them by the "hundred's"! See the photo below.

Bluebell 10-14-2015 12:09 AM

Neal, what sort of paint is that? That is pretty!

adileo 10-14-2015 07:10 AM

I purchased the paint yesterday. I went with Roy Nacewicz. While his site really specializes in Ford bolts, he also sells the proper color paint for our flatties.

Roy answered the phone and I was pleasently surprised how knowledgeable he was about ford flatheads. I probably spent a good half hour talking engine paint & about head bolts vs studs.

The call ended with him saying "feel free to call anytime with questions and even if your not in the market to purchase anything"

A true professional, a pleasure to chat with and a very knowledgeable individual. I highly recommend if your in the need of bolts or engine paint, give him a call.

adileo 10-22-2015 07:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For anyone who is thinking about painting the engine on the car. Please see photos attached.

I was more than a little nervous on how this would come out but....I found if your very careful, take your time and tape off any areas that are close to areas needing paint, the process is fairly easy. Using old spark plugs and good cleaning prep is very important.

countrysquire 10-22-2015 07:57 AM

That came out great. I just did a similar thing to my engine and it made all the difference under the hood.

Ralph Moore 10-22-2015 09:23 AM

Another good option for plug holes are silicone plugs, they are inexpensive and reusable.. Available at powder coating supply houses( such as Eastwood ). I have a whole kit that works well for all types of painting.

Walt Dupont--Me. 10-22-2015 07:11 PM

I remember years ago a friend who was a stripper had a 40 Merc with a hot engine, his engine was black and he had painted flames coming out of each spark plug holes. Really sharp. Walt

MDC 10-22-2015 08:15 PM

Could he have been a custom painter or was his name Magic Mike?

sunshine 10-22-2015 08:30 PM

I used pennys . They pop right out when you crank it over. SUNSHINE