The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas gauge repair (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34576)

Ken Lauderback 04-17-2011 03:24 PM

Gas gauge repair

Got in my '31 pickup this morning for the first time since last fall some time. The gas gauge was nearly on the "0" reading. I thought "I had more gas in here than that..." but decided I had been mistaken. So, off to the gas station to fill up. Only took 6 gallons, and the gauge is still on "O" so I assume the float has become soaked and sunk. When I "rebuilt" the gas gauge a couple of years ago, I think I coated the float with shellac. So, guessing the alcohol in the fuel has dissolved the coating. The reason I cleaned up the original gauge and reused it was that the so called "rebuild kit" I bought from Sacramento Vintage Ford at that time was so cheap looking and cheesy that I couldn't bring myself to put it in the tank. Are there different kits out there? If so, who makes the best one? Or, is there a good replacement for the original float? I'm probably not going to change it right now, but will need to do so some time this summer. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Mitch//pa 04-17-2011 03:37 PM

Re: Gas gauge repair

i just had the same thing a sunken cork float. i just changed mine out to the neoprene float hoping it will last longer. it can be installed on your original Gage

Mitch Bunkin in PA 04-17-2011 03:52 PM

I had the same problem 4 1/2 years ago & like Mitch (above) replaced with neoprene.
Everything fine since then.
Regards.
"the other Mitch"

Ken Lauderback 04-17-2011 06:23 PM

Re: brass floats?

Is there a brass float available? And if so, from whom?

Mitch//pa 04-17-2011 06:40 PM

GAS GUAGE FLOAT - NEOPRENEhttp://brattons.com/uploads/images_general/13550.jpgFor Year(s): 28-31

Gas and Alcohol proof float.

ill give it a try before i order one from NASA

Aerocraft 04-17-2011 06:50 PM

What worked for me was to shorten a float that I removed from a modern car where I had changed the entire gas gauge. That assembly had been made to accommodate ethanol fuels. That float has been working well in my 40B for over five years. Gar Williams

John Butts in CT 04-17-2011 09:08 PM

Ken, this topic has been discussed several times since ethanol appeared at the pump. You might want to read https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30531

What I think of as as the "hard" neoprene floats (per Mitch's post) have been offered by Model A vendors for years, as have the "soft" neoprene gaskets. I'm no chemist, but I suspect that the floats and the gaskets have a different makeup. My "hard" float is perfect after five years. My bad experience with the neoprene gaskets is chronicled in the earlier post.

Whatever float you choose, stick with cork gaskets, and keep a spare set on hand. It's much easier to replace your gaskets every so often than to deal with neoprene gaskets that have turned to goo and run down inside your tank.

JMHO. Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.

Model A Man 04-17-2011 09:25 PM

I have the brass float in both my A's and seem to work well. I bought them from one of the A vendors

I just checked Mikes afordable web site and they have the brass floats for $9.95 each

Ken Lauderback 04-17-2011 10:20 PM

Thanks to all of you who have taken time to respond. It has been a big help!

GearHeadDiver 01-28-2017 03:27 PM

I'm in the process or rebuilding mine..with a recently purchased kit
After cleaning, I was dry fitting all the components...to find that the 2 smaller cork gaskets (on either side of the glass) are a bit thick.....
Is it common practice to soak them in (?) before assembly?
As well, I've decided to re-finish the original face plate with the hole...as mine is eliptical...and the new one is round...
What is the best paint for the face? Lacquer? Or ?

Any help or input appreciated. ..

Tom Wesenberg 01-28-2017 07:24 PM

I recall only using one cork gasket against the glass. Lacquer paint worked fine for me.

I reused my original oval plate after wire wheeling the old paint and using lacquer.

GearHeadDiver 01-28-2017 07:32 PM

Hmmmmm...when I took the original apart, it had one on either side of the glass...but we're considerably thinner....
The kit diagram shows one on either side of the glass...and is supplied with 2...
Hmmmmm.....

I think the original eliptical plate looks better.... still not fond of the "made in china" label on the bags...of the majority of repro parts I've purchased.
I'd really like to have original, patina'd parts....but not easy to find. :(

daveymc29 01-28-2017 07:34 PM

I found that some of the kits, whether cork or neoprene, the gaskets are way too thick. All Ford in Campbell had the thin cork gaskets and I used a neoprene float. So far so good. for years I was using a brass float from a Tillotson carb, but for some reason it cracked and sank. I had to specify I wanted the thin cork and bought several sets. They were quite inexpensive, as I recall. Just hard to find.

GearHeadDiver 01-28-2017 08:06 PM

I may just make a couple myself...out of thinner cork... if I can remember where I put it ;)

Tom Wesenberg 01-28-2017 08:41 PM

The parts book does show A-9324 as having two, so I guess I did use two gaskets after all. It's been quite a while since I've done a gas gauge, and I wasn't sure.

Tom Endy 01-28-2017 08:50 PM

Reenee H. Kotas in San Diego makes and sells a good quality brass gas tank float that easily fits through the gauge opening. The last time we bought some from him they were $5.
858-278-8178

Tom Endy

GearHeadDiver 01-28-2017 09:08 PM

Good to know....

I'm new to the "A" game... :)
Having fun so far. :)
Lots of great advice, tips, info and people here...

Mitch//pa 01-28-2017 09:37 PM

I have not had a problem with the corks being to thick.. i have had a problem with the repo threads being off causing the outer and inner assy to not go together

GearHeadDiver 01-28-2017 09:48 PM

I'm using my original inner ring... I checked original glass to the new... same thickness, although slightly larger diameter...
with the thickness of the 2 cork rings... the inner ring only catches 2 or so threads... I'm not going to force it or try to compress the cork....I'll make 2 thinner ones...maybe..

Would there be a different kit for 28-29 versus 30-31?

Mitch//pa 01-28-2017 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Same set::