The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Museum - New Display (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141308)

elklake 06-04-2014 03:28 PM

Model A Museum - New Display

4 Attachment(s)
I thought some of you might be interested in getting a preview of the new addition to the Model A Museum at the Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory Corners, Mi.

It is a Pietenpol Sky Scout plane powered by a modified 1929 Model A engine. It was donated to the Model A museum by a retired Air Force colonel.

Our company, Valley City Sign, was hired by MAFFI to transport the plane, engineer and fabricate a mounting stand and install it in the museum. We also produced and installed all of the interior and exterior signs for the Model A Museum, restored the light fixtures from the old Minneapolis Ford plant and restored the two gas pumps in front of the museum. On a personal note, I restored a 1931 Deluxe Coupe in 2010 that has been in our family for over 60 years. I got involved in the signs for the museum when we drove Model A to the ground breaking of the facility. It has been a great experience combining my Model A hobby with our sign business.

The plane is going to be delivered and installed on Thursday, June 5. I will follow up with more pictures when complete.

The modifications made to the motor are very interesting and this should make a great display in the Model A Museum.

steve s 06-04-2014 04:17 PM

Re: Model A Museum - New Display

Way cool! Members of our club, the Grape Country Model A's, were recruited at our monthly summer dinner/tour last night to help with the moving around. I've been a docent out there, I'm still having trouble visualizing how that thing is going to fit.

Steve

WTSHNN 06-04-2014 04:17 PM

Great addition to the Museum.

Thanks for your work and the work of everyone else involved!
-Tim

newshirt 06-04-2014 04:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
There's one in the Forney Museum in Denver. I like how the big radiator blocks forward visibility. But you have to give up some things for all that raw power. :)

Ken Ehrenhofer 06-04-2014 11:32 PM

Thanks for all your support of the museum I might add you did a small sign for the Model A Air Compressor and did a superb job a real nice touch to our restoration project......Thanks again, Ken

Jim Brierley 06-05-2014 12:28 PM

thanks, what kind of cyl. head is that?

CAPE A 06-05-2014 12:36 PM

How do you see

elklake 06-06-2014 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE:

The plane was installed in the Model A Museum on Thursday, June 5th.

The assembly of the plane inside the museum and the lifting and installation on a permanent stand went very well, thanks to all of the volunteer help available.

Thank you for the nice comments.

The plane looks great and is a nice addition to the museum.

Check it out!

dlfrisch 06-06-2014 05:25 PM

There were a few home built air-crafts using the Model B engine. I knew of one that was built, bought by my aviation friend and he crashed landed ( "B" engine quit just after departure in Round Lake N.Y.) He survived and I think he sold what was left of the plane. It is called a Pietenpol Air Camper.