The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Grease Hood Hinge (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132410)

tinmanlsu 02-24-2014 08:03 PM

Grease Hood Hinge

Working on my hood. What do you guys use to grease the hood hinges? Thanks as always!

700rpm 02-24-2014 08:27 PM

Re: Grease Hood Hinge

I oil mine.

glenn in camino 02-24-2014 08:41 PM

Mine get sprayed with WD40 when I clean the underside.

johnsor 02-24-2014 09:31 PM

A drop or two at each joint. Work hinge a few times. Wipe off any excess.

Mike V. Florida 02-24-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsor (Post 830159)
A drop or two at each joint. Work hinge a few times. Wipe off any excess.

Ditto

karasmer 02-25-2014 01:50 AM

I have been wondering that also especially during restoration. If you just put a few drops of oil on it when it's installed there really is no way that the oil can lubricate it thoroughly but if you pull the hood rods lube and re-install your good to go. Question is what would be the best lube to put on the rods before re-installation?

Mike V. Florida 02-25-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karasmer (Post 830316)
I have been wondering that also especially during restoration. If you just put a few drops of oil on it when it's installed there really is no way that the oil can lubricate it thoroughly but if you pull the hood rods lube and re-install your good to go. Question is what would be the best lube to put on the rods before re-installation?

What makes you say that? A drop of oil get all the parts of a hinge either at home or in your car. Why not the hinge of the hood?

dave in australia 02-25-2014 03:43 AM

I use teflon spray.

Roadster62 02-25-2014 04:38 AM

AFTER YOU PAINT IT! Bob

Keith True 02-25-2014 08:16 AM

Many years ago I got a bunch of teflon rod pieces from a friend that ran screw machines.I made maybe a half dozen center hood rods out of them,and I don't think I've ever looked at one of them since.They're quiet,smooth,and no rust works it's way out of the hinges with use.I still used the metal rods in the hood side joints,as I never found any scrap teflon rods that small.I don't believe I've ever lubed one after it was installed either.

Purdy Swoft 02-25-2014 11:50 AM

The first thing that I do is replace the steel hood hinge rods with stainless steel. Most vendor have them, they don't rust and need no oil.

Mad Mac 02-25-2014 04:44 PM

Yeah, what Purdy said.

karasmer 02-26-2014 10:22 PM

With door hinges the oil draws down with use and gravity, seems like a lot of use to get the oil to travel sideways an inch, I suppose if the hood is removed you can oil the hinges on the backside seam.

Rock Hornbuckle 02-27-2014 07:34 AM

I use graphite it doesn't collect dust like oil does.

Russ/40 02-27-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 830506)
The first thing that I do is replace the steel hood hinge rods with stainless steel. Most vendor have them, they don't rust and need no oil.

I found the vendor stainless rods to be too tight a fit. Just can't get them in.

hardtimes 02-27-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ/40 (Post 831872)
I found the vendor stainless rods to be too tight a fit. Just can't get them in.

Hey Russ,
Yeah, like Purdy, I've used same stainless rods for years..very nice to have NO rust, eh :) ! To 'encourage' them to go in and fit tight ...w/o squeaks,etc...I use graphite. I use both the dry powered type and the spray type with very satisfactory results. Another good benefit is that they do not gather/attract dust/dirt.

BTW..do not get mine from vendors, perse, but from builder discount/supply places. They also have rods in diff metals (brass is good too).