The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Throttle linkage and spring on engine side of firewall (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333436)

Oldgearz 11-28-2023 12:31 PM

Throttle linkage and spring on engine side of firewall

I have a 54 customline V8 239 Y-block. The previous owner did a farmers fix (no offense to farmers meant) on the throttle return spring on the linkage near the engine side of the firewall. I can't find any picture of this on-line showing how and where this spring should attach. Can someone refer me to a picture or post something here that would help me out? Thanks.

Gene F 11-28-2023 02:42 PM

Re: Throttle linkage and spring on engine side of firewall

1 Attachment(s)
see it back by the firewall

Gene F 11-28-2023 03:06 PM

Go to website jerrysclassiccars click on catalog. scrolldown to 100, and 101 on the left side. With that, and the photo you shoulkd be a ble to figure it out. FYI, the photo shows that spring goes downward. I can't recall, but I think the bottom end of that may hook into a lit in the cold along a seam.

Jerry's can sell you the springs. My guess is a spring broke, or got lost, and someone just made do with something from an old piece of equipment, or the hardware store.

Tip; don't change the length of that TV rod (the one that goes down to the transmission. It works like a throttle position sensor on a modern car.

Gene F 11-28-2023 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
mine

Oldgearz 11-28-2023 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2272983)
Go to website jerrysclassiccars click on catalog. scrolldown to 100, and 101 on the left side. With that, and the photo you shoulkd be a ble to figure it out. FYI, the photo shows that spring goes downward. I can't recall, but I think the bottom end of that may hook into a lit in the cold along a seam.

Jerry's can sell you the springs. My guess is a spring broke, or got lost, and someone just made do with something from an old piece of equipment, or the hardware store.

Tip; don't change the length of that TV rod (the one that goes down to the transmission. It works like a throttle position sensor on a modern car.

Thank you. I printed them off but can't quite envision it. It shows two springs and I only had one that obviously came from a hardware store. Thanks again.

Gene F 11-28-2023 06:20 PM

My car has two I know that. So at a minimum you are missing one. What if you call the supplier and order the right ones. They restore cars there, so I bet if ya buy the springs they will raise the hood on one of the finished cars, take the breather off, and send you a photo with the springs.

Daves55Sedan 11-28-2023 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is on a '55, 272 V8, but the setup is the same on a '54 239. Mine has Ford-o-Matic. The angle at which this photo is taken is not very good because the passing gear link is partly in the way, but you can see the top of the spring attached to the throttle-link screw. The bottom of that spring goes thru a hole in the bracket that is bolted to the top of the engine block. That bracket also holds one end of the throttle bellcrank shaft. This is the factory setup.
Attachment 531172

paul2748 11-28-2023 07:40 PM

Assume a Fordomatic ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldgearz (Post 2272942)
I have a 54 customline V8 239 Y-block. The previous owner did a farmers fix (no offense to farmers meant) on the throttle return spring on the linkage near the engine side of the firewall. I can't find any picture of this on-line showing how and where this spring should attach. Can someone refer me to a picture or post something here that would help me out? Thanks.

Oldgearz 11-29-2023 10:20 AM

Thanks Dave. The spring that came with the car was simply wrapped over that throttle link screw and that didn't look right to me....too much wear on that screw. I found that hole in the bottom bracket you mentioned...Thanks. Where is the other spring located? Down under?

Gene F 11-29-2023 02:33 PM

Don't you need to get the special springs so that the tensions are correct for that W-O-T gizmo to work right?

KULTULZ 11-29-2023 06:52 PM

The 1949/59 FORD PASS MPC ILL shows the 1954 AT using one spring and the 1955 AT using two springs.

CORRECTION - Both 1954 AT and 1955 AT used two springs. Only one spring was used on either the 1954/1955 ST throttle linkages.

Was the MPC ILL I posted large enough to view the details?

Oldgearz 11-30-2023 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2273269)
The 1949/59 FORD PASS MPC ILL shows the 1954 AT using one spring and the 1955 AT using two springs.

I never answered when it was brought up, but the car has a manual transmission.

Oldgearz 11-30-2023 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2273208)
Don't you need to get the special springs so that the tensions are correct for that W-O-T gizmo to work right?

If the "W.O.T." thing you mention is the kick-down switch.....then no, with a manual tranny it will work as long as you can mash the gas pedal to the floor. My switch works fine.

KULTULZ 11-30-2023 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
- WIDE OPEN THROTTLE -

Referring to the TV LINKAGE that controls the operation of the AT.

Below is an ILL of the throttle linkage - 1954 FOR 239CI S/T -

See if it shows large enough ...

Daves55Sedan 11-30-2023 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldgearz (Post 2273153)
Thanks Dave. The spring that came with the car was simply wrapped over that throttle link screw and that didn't look right to me....too much wear on that screw. I found that hole in the bottom bracket you mentioned...Thanks. Where is the other spring located? Down under?

If you look closely at that throttle link screw at the top of the bellcrank, you'll notice that it has an indentation machined into it for the sprag of the spring to settle into. This is the main throttle return spring. I think these are still available from most repro parts suppliers.
The only other spring I can think of is the passing gear swivel return spring, but it has nothing to do with engine idle speed. The only thing that spring does is to allow the driver to stomp the gas pedal to the floor (whereby the gas pedal travel far exceeds the passing gear link) at the transmission. This spring allows the gas pedal to be fully depressed, which bottoms out the passing gear link. This spring takes up that slack.
This spring MUST be employed, or the passing gear mechanism will not be effective.

Daves55Sedan 11-30-2023 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In this picture you can see both springs
Attachment 531258

Gene F 11-30-2023 05:52 PM

So the one that is more horizontal is for W-O-T actuation (automatics)?

Oldgearz 11-30-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 2273491)
If you look closely at that throttle link screw at the top of the bellcrank, you'll notice that it has an indentation machined into it for the sprag of the spring to settle into. This is the main throttle return spring. I think these are still available from most repro parts suppliers.
The only other spring I can think of is the passing gear swivel return spring, but it has nothing to do with engine idle speed. The only thing that spring does is to allow the driver to stomp the gas pedal to the floor (whereby the gas pedal travel far exceeds the passing gear link) at the transmission. This spring allows the gas pedal to be fully depressed, which bottoms out the passing gear link. This spring takes up that slack.
This spring MUST be employed, or the passing gear mechanism will not be effective.

I have a stick shift so I don't think I have a passing gear link. I'll have to put a flashlight on that throttle link screw to see if there is an indentation. Thank you for your explaination.

KULTULZ 12-01-2023 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 2273492)

In this picture you can see both springs.

The photo is showing 1955/56 FOM throttle linkage -

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...8&d=1701382747

The 2nd spring (horizontal front) is used to increase tension to help the TV linkage to return properly. The springs are different for the 1954 and 1955.

KULTULZ 12-11-2023 12:45 PM

... chirp ... chirp ... chirp ...

:confused:

Was there any resolution regarding this?

1954 FORD 239 S/T THROTTLE RETURN SPRING -

PN - B4A 9737-C

2.92" L - .812" OD - 17 COILS