The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   flathead dragster (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77597)

Lawrie 07-21-2012 10:58 PM

flathead dragster

4 Attachment(s)
We took the dragster to the strip on saturday for the 1/8 mile series,
My first drive in it for over a year as my boy didnt want to do the 1/8 mile,
We did 6 runs ,best of 5.86 at 114 mph for the 1/8 .
My reaction time was good and bad, with two wins and a loss,(slow reaction )
But the engine went like a rocket all day .
I was hoping to get in the final(last year we won) but the one loss put paid to that.
I had a laugh on the start line,in front of me was a 57 chev with a blown eng ,on the back he had a decal that said "bring on the Henrys", well he had trouble getting it going,and then when it got going ,it looked like the starter stayed engaged,in the burnout it sent a shower of sparks and debri 20ft high then stopped,they pushed it off past us. I was going to say something about our old Henry but didn,t as he ,like me would have been peeved off.
We had a small problem, I had trouble selecting reverse, turned out a stone had got flicked up in the shift lever.
A question,we use methanol fuel and change the eng oil after meeting ,but its looks milky.
I,m thinking of changing the brand and type of oil,any ideas from you folks who ran them before.
Picks are the team sorting the rev problem,the stone that was the problem,and dinner being served.
Thanks Lawrie

ford38v8 07-21-2012 11:47 PM

Re: flathead dragster

Lawrie, I know very little about dragsters, so I don't know if you run coolant or not, but "milky" sounds like coolant in the oil.
I hope not.

Pete 07-22-2012 12:09 AM

Back in the 50's we ran StaLube racing oil.
It got milky. You can usually smell it when the oil has fuel in it.
We changed as soon as it got milky.

danliveshere 07-22-2012 03:11 AM

Guys I don't think Lawrie has a radiator/ coolant, from memory he has solid machined heads that he custom made himself.

Roadster5040 07-22-2012 06:54 AM

That looks like a lot of fun thanks for sharing

Ralph Moore 07-22-2012 09:28 AM

I want to see some of that tire rubber burning, not hamburgers! :)

roseville carl 07-22-2012 01:03 PM

Love to see more pics of this........:D.

Elmo Rodge 07-22-2012 01:51 PM

Hey Lawrie. Why don't you bring it with you this time? :D Wayno

JWL 07-23-2012 05:54 AM

Very cool stuff. Nothing can surpass fun for a good time.

I suggest using a straight weight oil such as Valvoline Racing oil. It is completely normal for alky and alky/nitro fueled engines to create milk in the oil pan. The polymers in multi-viscosity oils do not like the contamination from alky so I suggest using a straight weight.

In many cases it is necessary to change the oil after each 1/4 mile run especially when running the huge volumes of fuel required with nitro mixtures.