The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   clean rust out of a gas tank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68448)

Huff 04-15-2012 05:31 PM

clean rust out of a gas tank

What can be put in to a gas tank to let it soak and remove rust.

Firepower flyer 04-15-2012 06:09 PM

Re: clean rust out of a gas tank

I used muriatic acid dilled with water on my 50 f1.I had the tank out to swish it around,you can put a handfull of nuts and bolts inside to help knock any scale off.I wear rubber gloves and a face shield because it is a strong mixture,don't breathe it in either.My tank came out looking great.
Joe

ken ct 04-15-2012 06:53 PM

Denatured-Alchol in gal cans from home-depot does a pretty good job also. ken ct.

46ford 04-15-2012 07:02 PM

I used the muriatic first, then acetone. Mine wasn't too badly rusted, just heavily varnished. It's clean as a whistle now.

PeteVS 04-15-2012 07:47 PM

Several years ago in the old FordBarn, someone posted a picture of the method they used. They jacked up one of the rear wheels of a farm tractor and strapped their tank to the side of that wheel. The tank was partially filled with water and gravel. They then let the tractor idle in first gear, slowly tumbling the tank allowing the gravel to clean the inside surfaces.

jim1932 04-15-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteVS (Post 407155)
Several years ago in the old FordBarn, someone posted a picture of the method they used. They jacked up one of the rear wheels of a farm tractor and strapped their tank to the side of that wheel. The tank was partially filled with water and gravel. They then let the tractor idle in first gear, slowly tumbling the tank allowing the gravel to clean the inside surfaces.

Another version of this is strapping it to a small electric cement mixer... you get the idea, depends on what is handy.

I used the Por15 tank kit and was happy with the cleaning results.

3738 04-15-2012 08:05 PM

First drop a length of medium weight chain into it and shake it around to loosen any rust or gunk

mrtexas 04-15-2012 08:07 PM

I like to use Ospho. Another good one is Evapo-Rust which dissolves rust and doesn't leave a coating like Ospho does.

gmc1941 04-15-2012 09:00 PM

If you can seal liquid cleaning agent in the tank it is best to agitate the solution. What found is best is to take an old tire and place the tank inside and roll the tire. This will do a great job of agitating. I also found if you place nuts in the tank sometimes they get stuck in the baffles and are a bitch to get out. LOL

Binx 04-15-2012 09:24 PM

If you still have stale fuel gunk in the tank, a long-ago poster said he put in a few gallons of E85 (85% alcohol) fuel in the tank and drove it around in the back of his pickup for a week or so and worked great.

Lonnie

cwh 04-15-2012 10:07 PM

I just cleaned the fuel tank for my COE with the POR-15 tank sealer kit. It comes with 3 stages. Marine clean is first, then metal ready to prep for the sealer and finally the sealer itself. It was a 3 day progess but it worked fantastic. The tank cleaned up had a lot of scale in it but I was able to float the scale and sediment out.
cwh

pauldeborr 04-15-2012 11:38 PM

POR-15 is the way to go for sure

31chevy 04-16-2012 06:05 AM

I have done 3 tanks with por 15.
Gary.

jim1932 04-16-2012 06:10 AM

Withe the por 15 you have to follow the directions for drying the tank. I had mine out in the hot sun for two days thinking that would dry it. It didn't and the sealer pealed back off.

JM 35 Sedan 04-16-2012 08:06 AM

I have seen tanks cleaned internally using an electrolysis set up. The tank was filled with a salt water or other current carrying solution and a metallic object was suspended into the liquid in a way that it would not touch any other metallic part of the tank. A low voltage, low current DC source was connected to the tank and the suspended metallic part so that current would flow in the correct directon through the electrolyte to remove internal rust/crud on the inner walls and baffles. I have not actually tried this method, but plan to do so in the near future. I have done plenty of external metal cleaning using electrolysis, but I have never tried this for internal cleaning of gas tanks or similar items. If anyone has tried this method already, maybe they will chime in with some of their experiences ...either good or bad.

Scott H 04-16-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan (Post 407365)
a metallic object was suspended into the liquid in a way that it would not touch any metallic part of the tank. .

One article says they used a metal rod covered with a rubber/plastic mesh. The mesh prevented short-circuits but allowed the line-of-sight needed for the rust to be attracted to the electrode

32phil 04-16-2012 08:41 AM

I took the tank out of a 48Kmi. car. It was full of 80 yrs of dried gas/varnish, paint & stale gas & rust. It was perfect on the outside. I thought it was un salvageble junk. Nice original 32 Ford tanks are a fortune. I used the POR 15 kit. Marine Clean worked great. Take your time, follow the directions but check each step and leave the chemicals in as long as necessary.. I think I left the Marine clean in for over a week. Keep checking & turning the tank so all surfaces are covered. Pool acid for the rust removal . I bought 2 gals from the pool supply store. I think it was called Pool magic. It took 4+ weeks or more to do the whole process. Most important let it dry out for 4-5 days in the hot sun with the cap off & sending unit out. Bring in in at night. The POR 15 sealer looks great. I did mine in the Fall. I'll be putting gas in it for the first time soon.

Huff 04-16-2012 05:17 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions.

wspiker 04-16-2012 11:20 PM

Or, you can take it to a Radiator shop and they will put it in their cleaning tank of Oakite. I have taken two ford gas tanks for this process. They do it all the time and you will not have the mess to deal with. They were clean as a whistle....................

G.M. 04-17-2012 08:16 AM

John a battery charger with a variable voltage adjustment would work. They made one in recent years that looks like a big lunch box. I have several of these that I like. I don't think they sold to good because they didn't have the typical home charger look. A MIG welder power supply with a variable or stepped voltage control is the same type of power supply used in plateing. Be carefull not to short the leads because the amperage is controled by the size of metal to metal short circuit area. If you short the 2 leads the amperage will go to say 1,000 amps or more before a heat sensor on the transformer or diodes shuts it down. With .030 MIG wire 125 amps, .045 350 amps and 1/8" 600 amps. The faster any of these sizes of wire are feed, the higher the amps. Of course the voltage has to be increased to properly burn these wires. G.M.