The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mel Gross (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105813)

Art Bjornestad 05-10-2013 09:42 PM

Mel Gross

Just finished reading a post from Mel Gross regarding his cast iron brake drums, never used any but thought his statement regarding his product was mighty fair.

I attended the Orange County Pancake Breakfast last month and noticed that quite a few raffle items were donated by him. Thanks for supporting the hobby. Art

montanafordman 05-11-2013 12:23 AM

Re: Mel Gross

There are a lot of strong opinions on brake drums on this forum. What type of cast iron, where they are made etc. When it was time for me to get brake drums I simply didn't have the money to pay more than 100 each to buy the supposedly better quality cast iron from the major suppliers. For all I know they might come from the same place or have the same materials or they may not. I had heard nothing but good things from people that had actually bought drums from Mel Gross vs. people on the other side and for $260 for a full set from Mel Gross and my current finances I went for Mel's drums. Mel was a pleasure to do business with, shipped promptly and I"m very happy with my drums. They stop, they don't squeak or fade. I only have 500 miles on them but so far so good.

H. L. Chauvin 05-11-2013 02:37 AM

Humble Opinion:

Mel Gros is a very highly intelligent, outstanding American & a dedicated Model A man with tons & tons of real Model A mechanical experiences.

Bought (4) new cast iron drums from him -- glad I did -- wonderful individual with true integrity.

modelAtony 05-13-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin (Post 649379)
Humble Opinion:

Mel Gros is a very highly intelligent, outstanding American & a dedicated Model A man with tons & tons of real Model A mechanical experiences.

Bought (4) new cast iron drums from him -- glad I did -- wonderful individual with true integrity.

I wish Mel would step forward and tell a little about himself. Many people don't know that quite a few years back Mel was very prominent in lots of major Model A meets. HE DID GREAT SEMINARS. Many people today only know of him because of his steering boxes and his drum's. I know there are many older guys on this site who remember him. So please Mel, get back out here and tell people a little about your history in the hobby. I really think lots of people will be surprised. have fun modelAtony Lafayette,la

CarlG 05-13-2013 10:36 AM

He probably doesn't want to get crucified and/or banned like some other well qualified and knowledgeable gents have had done to themselves. Especially if there is any hint of their providing a service and/or materials to this community that they just might profit from.

Rock Hornbuckle 05-13-2013 10:52 AM

Anyone know of a website for Mel, or a phone#?

1931 flamingo 05-13-2013 11:40 AM

Rock: Ck in the swap section, posts there often.
Paul in CT

CarlG 05-13-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Hornbuckle (Post 650754)
Anyone know of a website for Mel, or a phone#?

E-mail us at [email protected] or call us at (714) 292-8660 for more info.

Tom Endy 05-13-2013 03:41 PM

I have known Mel for a number of years. He has been involved in the Model A hobby for many years and is a very generous man. Each year he donates raffle prizes for the annual pancake breakfast put on by the Orange County Model A Ford Club of Southern California. The club usually buys a quantity of Model A items from him and he in turn usually matches it with a donation.

Mel has a cottage industry offering many restored Model A components. He is mostly known for his cast iron brake drums and F-100 steering modifications. He is a pleasure to do business with and he stands behind everything he sells.

Mel is also a past recipient of the coveted Bill Reeder award presented by MAFCA for an outstanding technical article that appeared in the Restorer.

Tom Endy

John S 05-13-2013 07:02 PM

I bought a set of drums from Mel about seven years ago and have been very pleased. Fast service and a good product. You can't beat that!

Dick Carne 05-13-2013 08:28 PM

I echo everyone's sentiments about Mel's brake drums - much less expensive, timely shipping, and a good, quality product. Thanks Mel ...

Rock Hornbuckle 05-13-2013 09:33 PM

Thanks 1931 Flamingo, and CarlG, very much appreciated.

Mel Gross 05-14-2013 09:35 AM

I thank all of you for your comments! They are great appreciated!
The best way to contact me is thru emails at [email protected]
or by calling 714-292-8660.

H. L. Chauvin 05-14-2013 11:36 AM

Mr. Gross always ships his wonderful cast iron drums mounted on hubs in new, very heavy duty cardboard boxes with an empty cat food can protecting the small diameter keyway part of the hub so it does not penetrate the box in shipment.

I liked his cast iron brake drums so much, thought of sending him some empty cat food cans ...... but I do not have a cat.

Would be nice to ship him your hubs with an empty cat food can on top so he does not have to buy more cat food to get more empty cat food cans.

On a serious note, in (2) minutes on the phone with Mr. Gross, one can recognize that that Mr. Gross is a very compassionate individual who treats his customers with great dignity & respect, and his suggestions for answering "any" technical Model A questions and/or comments come directly from years of hands-on intelligent Model A experience.

Note: Tuna fish cans would also work.