The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Young model A Driver. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159512)

mshmodela 01-19-2015 04:05 PM

Young model A Driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb1pxwaRjIg

Mitch//pa 01-19-2015 05:06 PM

Re: Young model A Driver.

here are my thoughts::::
they are lucky that he didnt drive into a tree or through the house... the adult is in the back seat unable to grab the steering wheel, e-brake or in any position to take control of the vehicle in the event of an emergency. its easy to tell the whole situation was not in control. my favorite part was when he floored it to shut it off....
cool dad is no rocket man for sure.....NUTS

blgitn 01-19-2015 05:32 PM

I was a young Model A driver once,.. Weren't you?

Charles Coe 01-19-2015 05:41 PM

He needs someone to teach him how to shift without grinding the gears. I'm not sure the instructor knows how to drive an A.

Res731 01-19-2015 05:44 PM

Agree with Mitch on this one. I was teaching my daughter to drive my Tudor but I was beside her the whole time. No power steering in these things.

P.S. 01-19-2015 06:45 PM

Can nothing make old guys happy? This kid driving the Model A is awesome. Sure, he could use some pointers and practice. Did you do everything perfect when you were 12 years old? Doubt it.

This is exactly the kind of kid we should support and keep him interested in driving that Model A. Brought a big smile to this young guy's face.

29spcoupe 01-19-2015 07:02 PM

I think the kid did pretty good. I would have been in the seat beside him, though. John

fredski 01-19-2015 07:22 PM

The kid did good as far as I'm concerned.
I think dad or gramps in back seat had the boy driving on private
Property the whole time .looked to be a ranch.

Lucky kid to have the oprutunity. Myself I have driving since 12years old
And at many times alone.

Fredski

mshmodela 01-19-2015 07:29 PM

Well my almost 12 year old son will not be driving Ms. Daisy anytime soon. Hard to tell from the video -less I missed it whether or not he was on public road but surely there should have been someone in the front seat. Clearly it was not the first time the kid drove the car. I drove my Dad's Ford 8N when I was 14 and that was in corn field --big difference. Still the kid did fine job though not too wise without a co-driver beside him.

bikejunk 01-19-2015 07:29 PM

He did great! ive seen mode lA for sale videos driven by adults that were worse !! what were you doin when you were 12?

jboggess 01-19-2015 08:08 PM

That's a great video, kinda looks like it was a private road sorta. I remember when I was a kid my dad and I would take out our 13 Model T to the Grave Yard and I would practice while he watched. Didn't have the A back then.

clo2jim 01-19-2015 08:27 PM

Noticed how he started the car - full spark advance and throttle level down fully

Also noticed how he shut off the engine after he had moved the throttle level down full and the motor was overreving.

Not very good for the starter and the motor.

31 Woody 01-19-2015 09:26 PM

For a 12 year old he did a pretty good job, better than I did at 12, that's for sure.

Tom Elliott 01-19-2015 09:51 PM

Love to see young kids learning to drive a stick shift. I thought he was doing great!

burner31 01-19-2015 10:51 PM

Mailboxes along the road would suggest a public road
But the kid did GREAt

holdover 01-19-2015 11:13 PM

Kid did good. My son learned how to drive a farm tractor at about 8, by 10 he was better than most adults, even backing a hay wagon. My 7.5 yr old grandson can drive my 55 HP New Holland very well, haven't let him drive alone yet but he is following in his dad's footprints. As to the model As it won't be long before he is driving them around the farm.

Jordan 01-20-2015 12:29 AM

Learned to drive the model a around age 8 in a parking lot. I was driving alone with my brother in car games by age 12. I'm 21 now and have driven a model A to Canada & back and people are STILL telling me how to drive a model a... Can't make everyone happy.

I think he did fine. The dad obviously had faith in his child... I don't think thats a bad thing.

RandyinUtah 01-20-2015 02:11 AM

After watching the video I must chime in on this one. I think the joung guy did just fine! Did you notice the smile on his face? He was grinning from ear to ear.
It reminded me of when I taught my daughter how to drive and she was about the same age as this young man. My daughters very first driving experience was driving our 1930 Town Sedan. Later in live after getting her licence she would drive our standard four speed Jeep Wagon to school and friends would ask her how do you know how to shift? She would answer I learned from driving my Dad Model A. All I can say is teach the kids how to drive your Model A because some day they might own it.

Charlville 01-20-2015 03:05 AM

The more youngsters involved the better :)

RUNNERBUN 01-20-2015 07:01 AM

I would be a very proud father if I had a son like that. Not sure if he was on private property or not but other traffic wasn't a problem so safety should not have been an issue.
I learnt to drive at the same age driving a 1956 F100 truck. My father had a milk delivery business and we would be out helping with deliveries at 3 o'clock in the morning and would drive on a regular basis with a full load of milk on the truck. No other traffic to worry about in a small country town.
Police on patrol would often pull up to have a chat and turn a blind eye to our underage driving and give us a pat on the back and tell us what a great job we are doing. That was in the good old days. Times have certainly changed.