The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Timing gear cover (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336859)

arnhemmer 03-19-2024 02:41 PM

Timing gear cover

I have to repair the timing gear cover on my 1930 Tudor (plugging a hole).Is the metal cast iron or forged steel? This will help me to decide if I should TIG weld it or braze it.

Bruce of MN 03-19-2024 02:52 PM

Re: Timing gear cover

The texture looks like cast iron to me.

Joe K 03-19-2024 03:23 PM

It would be cast iron.

Welding/Brazing might make an issue with "warpage."

You might "flatten" it after the fact with sandpaper glued to a tablesaw table.

JB weld might be a better fix but you have to "grind" the surface to make a place for the epoxy to "grab hold."

Actually I've seen a perfectly good cover on Ebay for $8. I bought it because I saw it was actually a "Model B" cover which I wanted for use with a Gordon-Smith Air Compressor conversion - which uses a Model B centrifugal distributor to match the "load-no load" condition of a compressor engine. (cover/timing pin and Model B distributor have to be used as a pair to allow "normal" engine timing.)

Ebay: $14.88 plus ship best price currently.

To tell the differences between covers, see Vince Falter's page on the covers. The page doesn't seem available at this moment - perhaps Vince is working on the site?
www.fordgarage.com

Joe K

arnhemmer 03-19-2024 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce of MN (Post 2298852)
The texture looks like cast iron to me.

That's what I was thinking. I'll try the JB weld first to see how that works out. Thanks for the reply.

arnhemmer 03-19-2024 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe K (Post 2298858)
It would be cast iron.

Welding/Brazing might make an issue with "warpage."

You might "flatten" it after the fact with sandpaper glued to a tablesaw table.

JB weld might be a better fix but you have to "grind" the surface to make a place for the epoxy to "grab hold."

Actually I've seen a perfectly good cover on Ebay for $8. I bought it because I saw it was actually a "Model B" cover which I wanted for use with a Gordon-Smith Air Compressor conversion - which uses a Model B centrifugal distributor to match the "load-no load" condition of a compressor engine. (cover/timing pin and Model B distributor have to be used as a pair to allow "normal" engine timing.)

Ebay: $14.88 plus ship best price currently.

To tell the differences between covers, see Vince Falter's page on the covers. The page doesn't seem available at this moment - perhaps Vince is working on the site?
www.fordgarage.com

Joe K

I'll be using JB weld. Thanks for the reply Joe

Gene F 03-19-2024 04:58 PM

How did it crack...and there is a spring assembly that rides on that thing. Maybe you should try to find another one. Are you sure you want to try to fix that one?

Joe K 03-19-2024 05:22 PM

The small differences between covers are shown at https://www.fordgarage.com/pages/timingcovers.htm

Joe K

Charlie Stephens 03-19-2024 06:55 PM

I would think it would be easier to find another one. Temporarily thread the hole (maybe enlarge it) and put a bolt/plug in.

Charlie Stephens

Joe K 03-19-2024 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 2298896)
I would think it would be easier to find another one. Temporarily thread the hole (maybe enlarge it) and put a bolt/plug in.

Charlie Stephens

Or leave the threaded hole with a threaded "plug" - so the next generation can query their board "does anyone know why this threaded plug was used at this location?"

Joe K

arnhemmer 03-19-2024 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2298873)
How did it crack...and there is a spring assembly that rides on that thing. Maybe you should try to find another one. Are you sure you want to try to fix that one?

Someone before me drilled and tapped the center of the cover and used a screw to keep the aluminum gear from knocking. It worked fine untill the thread stripped. One of the club members had a cover, so picked it up and I replaced the plunger spring and all is good. Thanks everyone for the replies.

CT Jack 03-20-2024 08:17 AM

Go get another cover. Don't waste your time welding, brazing, or yuck puckying with JB Weld. These are all band aids.

brito36 03-20-2024 04:23 PM

Just get another cover. they are plentiful and don't usually cost much. Save you some work.