The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I got my Stipe shocks yesterday (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154168)

tmiller6 11-08-2014 08:58 AM

I got my Stipe shocks yesterday

I got my new Stipe shocks yesterday and I invited my kid to my house for dinner so I could give him my old set of shocks and let him drool over the new ones. The used ones he's getting are 30+ year old reproductions that are oil filled and pre-date the M&S non-refillable ones.

This is the second set of Stipe shocks I've purchased. The first ones had Plymouth, WI hidden on the back and I slobbed a little extra paint over the "Plymouth" before I mounted them to the frame of my '31.

I notice these new ones say Auburn, KY on the back. While I think that it's really cool that Mr. Stipe opts to build stuff for our hobby in cities named after cars, I really think it would have been better if he had picked Ford, KY outside of Lexington as his next site so I don't have to spend time obscuring another car name from the back of a flawless product!

Thank you Mr. Stipe for tooling up a second run of a much needed quality product.

peters180a/170b 11-08-2014 10:05 AM

Re: I got my Stipe shocks yesterday

Had a friend of mine buy a set for his 1929 coupe over 2 years ago [ Neal M.] and he could not be any happier. A reproduction part you can trust in....

motordr 11-08-2014 11:07 AM

Just installed my set of Stipe shocks on my 32 Vicky last Saturday....what a difference. I'm aiming for pot holes now just to feel the difference,lol.

Bill Stipe 11-08-2014 08:03 PM

Thanks for the compliment on the shocks, we are working on the second wave as I write this. They seem to be coming along well I found another part time guy to help and would like to hire him full time.
we are hoping to fill all orders before the year end.

Maclab58 11-08-2014 08:19 PM

What does a set cost?

C26Pinelake 11-08-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maclab58 (Post 977606)
What does a set cost?

About $1100 dollars.
Wayne

Big hammer 11-08-2014 10:11 PM

Maybe Santa will drop my order off Xmas night :-)

harleytoprock 11-09-2014 07:19 AM

For a driver, are there any advantages of the Stipe stock like shock verses tube shocks?

JohnLaVoy 11-09-2014 08:33 AM

Several years ago, before Bill was making shocks, we reviewed what was available in tube shocks and found originals were a better way to go. Since then we have installed Bill's shocks on our roadster pickup and they are great. The problem with tube shocks is they are not adjustable and engineered for a heavier car than a Model A. That makes for a rougher ride.

1931 flamingo 11-09-2014 09:29 AM

There are many, many different variations ( load rated) tube shocks. The right ones have to be found. Anything should be an improvement over worn or no shocks at all. JMO
Paul in CT

tbirdtbird 11-09-2014 10:00 AM

the gas filled tube shocks work well

w.michael 11-09-2014 10:32 AM

I have tube shocks on my '31 coupe. They are better than no shocks at all, maybe. But they just look TERRIBLE! on my car. I'm not commenting on how they may look on yours.

I am awaiting my new Stipe shocks. My wife gave me a set of new repo shock links for my birthday. (Well, yes, I had to sit at the computer and order them, but when they came in the mail she wrapped them up for my birthday cookout, so they were a surprise.) Now I've just got to dig into three or four sheds full of resources and locate the four original shock arms I have somewhere. Maybe by next spring I will actually have them mounted!

W. Michael

Kahuna 11-09-2014 05:05 PM

On my 32 B model, I used MGB rear shocks. They work real well, but of course, are not original. Better looking than tube shocks and mount in the original holes in the frame.
About $ 100 each