The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speedometer - AGAIN! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79023)

sconnors 08-06-2012 03:18 PM

Speedometer - AGAIN!

Hi Guys,
Today I replaced the reduction ratio gear, gear shaft, and end cap and still no speedometer? The cable works if I use a drill and after reading input on here and everyone telling me that it was either the gear or the shaft I replaced everything and still no speedometer. Any ideas?????

Bob C 08-06-2012 03:38 PM

Re: Speedometer - AGAIN!

When you had the turtle off what did the gear on the driveshaft look like, may be a problem there.

Bob

sconnors 08-06-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 474501)
When you had the turtle off what did the gear on the driveshaft look like, may be a problem there.

Bob

The gear and the shaft looked fine, but everyone was telling me it had to be that if the cable was working. I replaced both anyway and it's still not working

1931 flamingo 08-06-2012 05:53 PM

If you stick end of cable into the speedo and use a drill (SLOOOW speed) does the speedo work??
Paul in CT

Patrick L. 08-06-2012 06:35 PM

Which cable do you have ?? Keyed or square ?? On your previous posts I assumed the cable was in good condition.. The end must be in good shape and fit properly into the speedo drive.. If you jack up a rear wheel and run the car does the speedo drive drive ?? If so and you connect the cable, does the cable turn ??

sconnors 08-06-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 474569)
If you stick end of cable into the speedo and use a drill (SLOOOW speed) does the speedo work??
Paul in CT

Yes it works with a drill.

sconnors 08-06-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 474595)
Which cable do you have ?? Keyed or square ?? On your previous posts I assumed the cable was in good condition.. The end must be in good shape and fit properly into the speedo drive.. If you jack up a rear wheel and run the car does the speedo drive drive ?? If so and you connect the cable, does the cable turn ??

Squared cable. The cable appears to be in good condition, it's not frayed or broken and fits into the square shaft. If I slide the whole assembly onto the cable while it's off the truck and turn the gear the cable turns. I haven't tried jacking up the truck yet.

sconnors 08-06-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 474501)

Bob

It looks okay, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

Bob C 08-06-2012 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So your saying you pulled the rear axle and changed the gear on the driveshaft and
changed it?

Bob

sconnors 08-06-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 474632)
So your saying you pulled the rear axle and changed the gear on the driveshaft and
changed it?

Bob

No I changed the reduction ratio gear, gear shaft, woodruff key, end cap and gasket in the case assembly.

Bob C 08-06-2012 07:27 PM

Ok what I was asking in post #2 was what the gear on the driveshaft looked like. They can slide back and forth some on the driveshaft splines and maybe it is not meshing with the gear in the turtle.

Bob

Ron W 08-06-2012 07:55 PM

I had a cable that would not turn unless pushed way in the drive because the end was slightly worn on the corners of the square. I took a small piece of brass shim stock, bent it to a "L" shape to shim the cable in the socket. Worked for me! Also, make sure the cable and housing are the correct length and seated properly. Ron W

spdway1 08-06-2012 08:15 PM

Change the cable, I did mine last week!! The old one worked with a drill, but I noticed a slight kink where the cable crimps into the end where it goes into the speedometer!

columbiA 08-06-2012 10:45 PM

A friend replaced ring & pinion gears to 3.54 ratio from the 3.78,s.He got the driven gear for 3.54 & put it in the turtle-the speedo wouldnt work.I checked it out & found the new gear was smaller than the old one.It appeared the hsg for the 3.54 gear had to be machined deeper to allow the gears to mesh.Much later I found that some hsgs for 3.54 gears were made that way for that reason.

sconnors 08-07-2012 04:50 PM

Today I pulled the cable from the back of the speedometer on the dash and everything in there was fine. The cable was good and the speedometer is free. I pulled the turtle down again and checked it and the gear in the driveshaft is turning and the cable going into the turtle looks good. I guess it's time to order a new cable and try that.

gunmetal blue 08-07-2012 05:26 PM

Check to see if your mileage guage is working, If so it is maybe the speedometer magntisam is week.

pooch 08-07-2012 05:44 PM

Leave speedo out, jack wheel and run.

Grab end of turning cable with fingers with moderate pressure to see if it is slipping anywhere.

Bob C 08-07-2012 05:46 PM

How about disconnecting the cable from the speedometer head and driving a little ways to see if
the cable is turning. Also how many teeth were on the new gear, if 17 it may not be meshing with the
drive gear.

Bob

sconnors 08-07-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 475258)
How about disconnecting the cable from the speedometer head and driving a little ways to see if
the cable is turning. Also how many teeth were on the new gear, if 17 it may not be meshing with the
drive gear.

Bob

There are 19 teeth on the gear.

sconnors 08-17-2012 01:59 PM

Re: Speedometer - AGAIN! - UPDATE FIXED!!

Guys,
Thanks for all you help. I ordered a new speedometer cable from Tam's, got it today and put it in and she's working fine! I appreciate everyone's help. There are really great people here at the Ford Barn.
Thanks again
Scott