The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mice in you A during winter. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119238)

Fred K-OR 10-03-2013 09:32 PM

Mice in you A during winter.

I saw a thread below about mouse droppings. And I think each year about this time a thread appears about how to keep mice out of your A for the winter. So I thought I would start one.

I put a trap in each A. Also spread dryer sheets around in the A. Are there any other suggestions as to how to keep our "friends" out of our A's?

Pinstripe 10-03-2013 11:26 PM

Re: Mice in you A during winter.

lots of mothballs

BILL WILLIAMSON 10-04-2013 01:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred K-OR (Post 738017)
I saw a thread below about mouse droppings. And I think each year about this time a thread appears about how to keep mice out of your A for the winter. So I thought I would start one.

I put a trap in each A. Also spread dryer sheets around in the A. Are there any other suggestions as to how to keep our "friends" out of our A's?

Dog:cool: here, Ol' Bill, (bless his heart), graciously offered to let me, an inborn rodent killin' RAT TERRIER, sleep in Vermin this winter, to which I quickly responded, "But who'll keep YOU WARM, under thet oooold skinny quilt yo' MAMMA made in 1937":eek:
Y'all know whur I kin buy a MEAN LOOKIN' rubber CAT to throw in the car?:eek: (Just P.M. me) Buster T.:cool:

Tom Wesenberg 10-04-2013 02:24 AM

I put traps on the outside of the garage door, at each end. I also throw lots of mothballs around the garage and put them inside my A and under the seats. I think the mothballs you buy today have been detuned to the point babies can suck on them, but they still help. They sure don't smell as strong as they used to, even though they say "old fashioned" on the box. Cats are great to have also.

springerpete 10-04-2013 05:55 AM

I noticed a big change in my winter storage- mouse issue when I used the "sonic" units you plug in. They are supposed to make noises that mice don't like. I also use drier sheets but I use " moth ice crystals." They are VERY strong smelling. I get them at Walmart. They come in round paper cans and are made by ENOZ.
What you are doing with sound or smell repellants is confusing the defense mechanism of the mouse so they can't rely on their senses. Maybe there are other ways as well, ( cats and dogs, etc )

Keith True 10-04-2013 07:08 AM

We must have tougher mice around here.All we have found with the dryer sheets was they used them to make nests with.We wind up with perfumed mouse pee smelling nests.Mothballs still seem to work as well as anything.Those little electric traps work pretty good.After they walk in and get zapped you just open the lid and shake them out.I got 52 on one set of batteries.Between my cat and a neighbors cat not too much lives around here.What did happen was that all the mice seemed to move into the buildings we keep the cats out of.That's how I got 52 in one season.

oliverguy 10-04-2013 07:27 AM

I put cat crap in open pastic shopping bags in the corners of my tractor shed. If I change it out with "fresh" every other month or so the mice stay away. We have two inside cats so we're always in supply. In my sealed garage where the antique cars are, we use mothballs, traps and dryer sheets.

marc hildebrant 10-04-2013 08:04 AM

Old fashion snap traps (peanut butter bait) have always worked well.

Marc

Gary/IA 10-04-2013 08:17 AM

A couple of peanut butter jar lids filled with 50/50 anti-freeze placed on the garage floor. I always place them under something that will allow the mice access but will prevent a dog or cat from accessing them.

leadpot 10-04-2013 08:23 AM

If you put your car up on jack stands are they able to scale the stands and get in the car? Just wondering, seems like they would not be able to climb up a smooth surface.

eagle 10-04-2013 08:38 AM

"I think the mothballs you buy today have been detuned to the point babies can suck on them, but they still help. They sure don't smell as strong as they used to, even though they say "old fashioned" on the box. Cats are great to have also."
Do you suppose that maybe the mothballs are the same and your nose has "detuned" itself a bit over the years? I put some in the flowerbed to keep the cats out and my kids had to plug their noses every time they got within 20 feet!

modeleh 10-04-2013 08:43 AM

leadpot, they can climb up the inside wall of a plastic 5 gallon pail. That is why it is best to put some water in the bottom of the bucket traps to drown them.

Cool Hand Lurker 10-04-2013 09:13 AM

To get the right moth balls look on the label for the ingredients. They should have sulphur and napthalene, or just napthalene. That stuff works to repel just about any critter, including snakes and bats.

Tom Wesenberg 10-04-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadpot (Post 738186)
If you put your car up on jack stands are they able to scale the stands and get in the car? Just wondering, seems like they would not be able to climb up a smooth surface.

I doubt that will keep them out. In the 70's I was working on my uncle's 66 Chevy pickup, with the hood open. A mouse ran right up the underside of the hood. No insulation, and I'm still trying to figure that one out. I guess it grabbed the edge of the metal inner structure.:confused:

H. L. Chauvin 10-04-2013 11:44 AM

Hi Fred K,

FWIW:

1. Traps "in" a Model A are most questionable; e.g., if left unattended for a few days, not only do rodents eat attractive smelling dead rodents; but if traps are baited with food, this is similar to showing a pair of Golden Arches to a very hungry (3) year old.

2. Because prudent rodents trail other rodents searching for food, once a rodent trail is established, this rodent trail leads to the main entry in you Model A -- just as well to post a sign similar to: "Hi Mickey, Welcome to Wal-Mart!"

3. Even well protected garbage cans, pet food, bird seed, etc, stored in a garage is about as similar an experience to rodents as that of a human parking next to a bakery at night after not eating all day -- keep "all" food aroma out of your garage.

Just hope this helps to try to keep them out.

QGolden 10-04-2013 11:55 AM

I use a killing bait. I forget what brand, doesn't matter they all use the same ingredient. If they get into the car, they eat the bait and go off in search of water, and die outside of my car. I never saw any good from drier sheets. I think that is an urban legend.

johnsor 10-04-2013 11:58 AM

For trap bait use plain white flour. Mice really go for it and it doesn't get rancid like peanut butter.

Tiny 10-04-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsor (Post 738297)
For trap bait use plain white flour. Mice really go for it and it doesn't get rancid like peanut butter.

I prefer walnuts. Rats and mice are suckers for them and they have to pull at the bait not just gently lick the trap clean like PB. I drive my car year round so I've never had a problem with rodents in them, must be a cold climate thing!!:D

whirnot 10-04-2013 12:05 PM

Glue boards.

Fred K-OR 10-04-2013 12:47 PM

Thanks guys. Lot of good ideas.