The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shop heater (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65915)

Tacoma Bob 03-20-2012 10:48 PM

Shop heater

My three year old Cadet "The Hot One" shop heater took a dump. I'am reluctant to buy another. I have a 500 sq ft well insulated attached garage. I did a searced older posts with so-so results.I already have a dedicated 220 circuit. Any thoughts Guys. Thanks TB:(

azmodela 03-20-2012 11:11 PM

Re: Shop heater

Check out a FB sister site, garagejournal.com

They have several threads on this subject.

Craig Lewis 03-21-2012 12:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I would not recommend an overhead gas radiant heater.
This is what I've been running in my 1200 sq/ft cement shop for a dozen years and it's not a pleasant feeling heat.
Something about a hot head & cold feet, together with $230xx gas bills, just about has me ready to tear it off the ceiling!
Also, dust builds up on top radiant units ...which burns, stinks & makes headaches.
I think my next choice would be a unit heater hanging in one corner. I'd still use gas, but I think the fan directing the heat in a nice big circle would warm everything evenly...and make good use of less heat.
Less heat = less $$ = :) :D

Marvin/TN 03-21-2012 02:49 AM

Check out Modine Hot Dawg heaters. I think they make one that is safe to use in flamable atmospheres

real550A 03-21-2012 06:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with Craig, my experience with radiant overhead is that the direct line of sight area and tools are hot, and on the shaded side of any vehicle everything is cold.
Anyone thinking of building a new shop should highly consider in-floor, hot water radiant heat, IMO. We incorporated it into our new 1500 sq. ft. shop, and it's fantastic!

Barry B./ Ma. 03-21-2012 06:06 AM

I have a Modine Hot Dawg overhead heater that uses propane gas and outside air for combustion. Very efficient,quick heat and not in the way.

JBill 03-21-2012 06:47 AM

I have a Lennox "Hot Shot" overhead heater that's been going strong for fourteen years now.

[email protected] 03-21-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. (Post 390387)
I have a Modine Hot Dawg overhead heater that uses propane gas and outside air for combustion. Very efficient,quick heat and not in the way.

One of the best heaters I've ever used. Simple installation, and good heat. Initial cost is a little high but once it's in running it won't break you. And it heats the whole shop.

jr-41ford 03-21-2012 08:22 AM

I bought a Mr. Heater Big Maxx 45,000 BTU natural gas garage unit heater for my shop. It is easy to install and works great!

This also the sold under the brand name Modine.

This unit can also be converted to use propane, by installing a $22 kit. You will need a 100 gallon minimum gas tank for running off propane.

My cost was just under $500 and bought it from Northern Tool

wrndln 03-21-2012 08:41 AM

Like JBill, I also have a 45K BTU Lennox "Hot Shot" overhead heater. I have had it for about 10 years with no problems so far. I use a through the wall vent. My shop walls are 2x6 (2x10 ceiling joices) and well insulated. I works great in my detached 24' x 36' shop. I usually keep the shop at about 60 degrees in the winter.
Rusty Nelson

Glenn C. 03-21-2012 08:56 AM

The installation real550A has is the same as ours using a proper designed boiler (not just a hot water tank) for heat generation. Only other suggestion I would make is to dig down around the building slab about 18" and install insulation slabs against the foundation, backfill, and tamp hard. This prevents the heat in the floor radiating to the outside cold. Super wonderfull on the feet and to lay on. Even heat throughout the whole shop.

2manycars 03-21-2012 02:05 PM

I have a Toyotomi kerosene heater that is thermostatically controlled, and uses outside air for combustion, and is very cheap to run. It is mounted on an outside wall and heats my 15x30 work area nicely. http://warmth4less.com/toyo.html

30Ford 03-21-2012 03:30 PM

I think a small ductless heat pump would work

Craig Lewis 03-21-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by real550A (Post 390386)
I agree with Craig, my experience with radiant overhead is that the direct line of sight area and tools are hot, and on the shaded side of any vehicle everything is cold.
Anyone thinking of building a new shop should highly consider in-floor, hot water radiant heat, IMO. We incorporated it into our new 1500 sq. ft. shop, and it's fantastic!

That in-floor heat has me drooling!
You only have to spend a day on a heated floor to truly realize the difference. Nice job.....:):)

Dave in Boise 03-21-2012 03:45 PM

I have a 180,000 BTU Bryant overhead unit, and it works very well, but if I ever rebuild, it'll be underfloor heat.. When you lay on the concrete, it's nice and warm, and there is not fan blowing dust around..

In 500 sq foot, I'd look at the Hot Dawg low clearance heater.. seems like a good unit

- DIB

Fred K-OR 03-21-2012 03:56 PM

Being you have 220 circuit installed, maybe a couple of small Cadet electric heaters would do it. We use them in our beach house and it keeps it nice. They are made in Vancouver WA.

John LaVoy 03-21-2012 04:55 PM

Bob, If you would work faster and drink really hot coffee you wouldn't need the heater! LOL

Barry B./ Ma. 03-21-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 390461)
One of the best heaters I've ever used. Simple installation, and good heat. Initial cost is a little high but once it's in running it won't break you. And it heats the whole shop.

My Modine overhead heater is 6 years old, is 45,000 BTU and heats my 24x30 work area well, warms the place up in a few minutes and required a 50 gallon propane tank.

jr-41ford 03-22-2012 08:38 AM

The 45K BTU Mr. Heater, Modine, and Lennox "Hot Shot" are all the same heater. They are made by Mr. Heater and are great zero-clearance, ceiling mount furnaces. Very easy to get parts for.

They also make a 75K BTU unit for the larger shops.

Amazon carries all of them at a good price. If one searches the internet, can find it a little cheaper or free freight.

The Carrier, Mitsubishi, etc split system heat pumps are really nice too. Since they do not have an emergency heat mode, one can get by with a 20 or 30 amp breaker and as low as a 60 amp electrical service panel. They cost on the average of $1300 to $1500 for a basic model that will heat/cool a 750 sq. foot shop. Price goes up as the square footage increases.

You can buy them to run off 120VAC, 240VAC, and 203VAC, three phase. I installed two of these at work, very nice.

I like the natural gas furnaces, cheaper and faster heat.

t-head 03-22-2012 09:30 AM

Not what most of you want to think about as you want quick heat. In our machine-restoration shop we have used a Jotul wood stove for five years raised up on a dry laid brick and stone platform 2' off of the floor.

We do no painting in the shop during the heating season, nor do we have any open gas or solvents. You would want to clear it w/your insurance co and fire Marshall but done correctly with common sense it is just as safe as any other heating system w/a flame....Gas or an oil burner.

It works well for daily use in northern New England and the shop temp varies from 58 in the morning to 65-70 by mid day. We also have heat when the power goes off w/out using a generator, which is often in the country. Not an option for many but we love it and use it for keeping the coffee hot and we also warm up our lunch on it also.