The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ruckstell model a ford transmission overdrive 3 speed (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54947)

[email protected] 12-02-2011 03:34 PM

Ruckstell model a ford transmission overdrive 3 speed

Just saw this on EBay. Item # 330650403152

RUCKSTELL MODEL A FORD TRANSMISSION OVERDRIVE 3 SPEED

I must admit that I haven't seen one of these before. They have also started to discuss it on the T Forum..

CarlG 12-02-2011 05:39 PM

Re: Ruckstell model a ford transmission overdrive 3 speed

The tag on it says it's a "Dual High" which does not match the seller's description.

azmodela 12-02-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 317547)
The tag on it says it's a "Dual High" which does not match the seller's description.

Look at the original advertisements from the era, they were advertised as a "dual high" transmission. Everything in the ebay add is correct.

SteveB31 12-02-2011 07:57 PM

We installed one of those Ruxtell transmissions in a Model A several years ago. I have to admit, I never checked the 3rd gear ratio. 2nd gear was quite a bit higher ratio then the stock Ford 2nd gear. The one we installed was NOS, and drove nice and quiet. The car we installed it in had a Twin -X two speed rear end, and 3.54 gears, and the car cruised at 75 effortlessly with the Twin X in overdrive. I have been involved with Model A Fords for 30 years, and have seen a handful of these transmissions. My only worry about owning one is a lack of available parts should it break. Just my 2 cents.....
Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
Denver,CO
www.modelastore.com

[email protected] 12-02-2011 08:43 PM

A Google search found a couple of 1931 ads on the Ruxstell overdrive transmission from Popular Science magazine.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9Cc...rdrive&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=n-M...rdrive&f=false

mikewort 12-04-2011 03:17 PM

Thought I would "Chime in" on this discussion. I have the Ruckstell transmission on Ebay for sale right now. This has been looked at by a few Ford enthusiasts and authorities, they all agree, this is one of the real Ruckstell transmissions. Saturday a Ford historian came down to my location from Detroit to inspect and photograph this item. He was in agreement, it's the real deal. This trans. is one that you remove your existing trans. and replace this with yours. The meaning of "Dual High" refers to this. 2nd gear in the Ruckstell is higher than the stock 2nd in a Ford Trans. and then 3rd in the Ruckstell is 25% overdrive which in the stock Ford Trans 3rd would be direct. This would be the "Dual High" meaning that both top gears in the Ruckstell are higher than the top two of the std. Ford. Again, this is a great item, great find and all looks to be in original and in very good condition.

Bruce Lancaster 12-05-2011 07:28 PM

So in modern terminology, it could be termed close-ratio rather than OD.
I have a little manual for this but no trans...

Keith True 12-05-2011 08:45 PM

It is still overdrive,top gear is 25% higher than stock.I think it is termed dual high because second is higher also.I know of two,one is in a car that is stored away,and the other is in a garage that the owner planned to use at some point.I have never been able to get near either one of them.

azmodela 12-06-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster (Post 319213)
So in modern terminology, it could be termed close-ratio rather than OD.
I have a little manual for this but no trans...

Anything less than 1:1.0 is an 'overdrive' gear/ratio. So a 1:.89 is an overdrive gear. Stock A's are 1:1 for third, or 'direct drive'.

"Close ratio" is simply two gears that are closely spaced together regardless of them being an overdrive or under drive ratio. 1:1 for 3rd gear and 1:.89 for 4th gear are considered a close ratio gearing. 1:3.45 for 3rd and 1:2.90 for 4th are also close ratio. Close ratio trans are more common in 4, 5, and 6 speeds where you have enough gears to keep the engine in it's performance range while still achieving a decent high end speed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-06-2011 11:19 AM

I have made an Excel spreadsheet to use as a comparison. Click HERE to open this in a spreadsheet file and you can use this to compare a stock gear ratio transmission to this transmission. You can also use this to substitute a 3.25 or 3.54 ratio instead of a stock 3.78 ratio to see the speed and RPM differences.

The problem is I cannot upload this as an attachmenthere. Therefore here is a direct link if the other one gives you problems:
www.model-a-ford.com/Ruckstell_3_Speed_Comparison.xlsx

CarlG 12-06-2011 11:26 AM

Brent,
Link comes up "Page Not Found"

Dick Deegan 12-06-2011 12:23 PM

Mine opened up in Excel with some fiddling around on my part.

Dick

Mike V. Florida 12-06-2011 05:06 PM

I don't have the latest version of excell so I can't see it.

Kirby1374 12-06-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 319661)
I have made an Excel spreadsheet to use as a comparison. Click HERE to open this in a spreadsheet file and you can use this to compare a stock gear ratio transmission to this transmission. You can also use this to substitute a 3.25 or 3.54 ratio instead of a stock 3.78 ratio to see the speed and RPM differences.

The problem is I cannot upload this as an attachmenthere. Therefore here is a direct link if the other one gives you problems:
www.model-a-ford.com/Ruckstell_3_Speed_Comparison.xlsx

Wow, It looks like the Ruckstell really evens out the rpm shift points
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...sionratios.jpg

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-06-2011 05:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1374 (Post 319886)
Wow, It looks like the Ruckstell really evens out the rpm shift points

For the skeptics that feel like a 3.27 rear end gear ratio is too much for a stock Model A engine, this Ruckstell transmission should be an "eye-opener"!! :eek:

Mike, I made 3 PDF versions (3.78, 3.54, & 3.27 ratios) and attached it for comparison. You can't play with ratios numbers, or RPMs with this PDF copy but at least you can see it.

Mike V. Florida 12-06-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 319887)
Mike, I made 3 PDF versions (3.78, 3.54, & 3.27 ratios) and attached it for comparison. You can't play with ratios numbers, or RPMs with this PDF copy but at least you can see it.

Thank you

CarlG 12-06-2011 07:42 PM

Brent:
What are the first and second gear ratios coming out of the transmission, nevermind what the rear end is?

Joop 12-10-2011 07:59 AM

Sold for

$5,232.99

Jim Parker Toronto 12-10-2011 10:43 AM

WOW, I have to wonder how many of these were made and if there is any more around!! Worth keeping an eye open for them......

85930tudor 12-10-2011 10:58 AM

Thanks Brent . Great info once again...Dave