The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   landau irons on a Fordor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87030)

67sunroof 10-24-2012 11:53 AM

landau irons on a Fordor

Here's one that's got me curious. According to two sources, Ford offered landau irons for business coupe owners to dress up their cars.
Anyone out there ever seen a blindback Fordor with landau irons?
Was this done occasionally by "sporty" owners?
Do the sports coupe landau irons fit on a blindback?

jkelsh 10-24-2012 12:15 PM

Re: landau irons on a Fordor

http://mafca.com/gallery/28blindbackBM.jpg

msmaron 10-24-2012 12:38 PM

I think it is a nice look personally..

67sunroof 10-24-2012 12:44 PM

the link that jkelsh sent shows them on a dark car - Andalusite blue or black perhaps and helps break up that funereal look.
They look kinda cool to me.
I wonder if anyone has a contemporary photo of landau irons on a Model A.
Surely, someone thought of this back in the day.

FL&WVMIKE 10-24-2012 12:51 PM

It sure does have a "classy" look to it. Henry should have thought of that !
MIKE :)

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-24-2012 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jordan Heath's grandpa's car??

msmaron 10-24-2012 01:56 PM

Very interesting look to it!...hmmmmm

CarlG 10-24-2012 02:04 PM

They won't fit on my Pickup :D

CarlG 10-24-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 522241)
Jordan Heath's grandpa's car??

Brent,
What kind of wheels are those?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-24-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 522255)
Brent,
What kind of wheels are those?

While I didn't know Jordan's grandpa, I have heard he was a phenominal craftsman. This car actually had a modern V-8 engine, auto transmission, A/C, and other creature comforts, so it would not surprise me if he didn't fabricate them himself. I will see if I can drop a message to Jordan on Facebook and get him to come answer questions about the car.

P.S. 10-24-2012 02:18 PM

There's a lot of people out here on the left coast with A/C in their Model As. I just shake my head... Still, you have to admit, that's pretty crafty. Seeing a Model A driving around in the 100+ degree summer heat with all the windows up is funny looking.

CarlG 10-24-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.S. (Post 522269)
Seeing a Model A driving around in the 100+ degree summer heat with all the windows up is funny looking.

Brings back memories of times long ago. I lived in Phoenix (100*++) and use to do exactly that in the summertime, just to make others think we had AC. (Early '60s)

cafe*racer 10-24-2012 03:19 PM

My grandfather, Howard Goines, was the first person, as far as we know, to put a small block Chevy in a Model A without cutting the firewall. The blindback shown above was not his first attempt but actually the second and more refined version of his craftsmanship. The landau irons were found at a swap meet and he didn't know what kind of car they came from. The wheels are "artillery" wheels, the centers are obviously Model A wheels that have been cut down. He made a few sets of these wheels. Also the trunk on this car is a hand fabricated copy of the period accessory Kary-Keen trunk. He made copies of both the 28-29 and 30-31 versions of the trunk. There are at least six that I remember him making. Its held up pretty well for a 30 year old restoration and 35k miles.

By the way if anyone has original seat springs for this car, in serviceable condition, please contact me.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-24-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe*racer (Post 522295)
My grandfather, Howard Goines, was the first person, as far as we know, to put a small block Chevy in a Model A without cutting the firewall. The blindback shown above was not his first attempt but actually the second and more refined version of his craftsmanship. The landau irons were found at a swap meet and he didn't know what kind of car they came from. The wheels are "artillery" wheels, the centers are obviously Model A wheels that have been cut down. He made a few sets of these wheels. Also the trunk on this car is a hand fabricated copy of the period accessory Kary-Keen trunk. He made copies of both the 28-29 and 30-31 versions of the trunk. There are at least six that I remember him making.

Thanks for the info buddy!! :cool:

P.S. 10-24-2012 03:26 PM

Yes, thanks for the info. Interesting!

Jordan 10-24-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe*racer (Post 522295)
My grandfather, Howard Goines, was the first person, as far as we know, to put a small block Chevy in a Model A without cutting the firewall. The blindback shown above was not his first attempt but actually the second and more refined version of his craftsmanship. The landau irons were found at a swap meet and he didn't know what kind of car they came from. The wheels are "artillery" wheels, the centers are obviously Model A wheels that have been cut down. He made a few sets of these wheels. Also the trunk on this car is a hand fabricated copy of the period accessory Kary-Keen trunk. He made copies of both the 28-29 and 30-31 versions of the trunk. There are at least six that I remember him making. Its held up pretty well for a 30 year old restoration and 35k miles.

By the way if anyone has original seat springs for this car, in serviceable condition, please contact me.

I for one would like to see more pics of the car. It seems like a nice road car.

Bob Johnson 10-24-2012 04:12 PM

I do not like the "fake" Landau irons on Model As. But here is a picture of a Town Car with them.

Bob

http://www.modelahouse.com/images/towncar-landau01.jpg

P.S. 10-24-2012 04:24 PM

On the high-brow town car, they look great!

Add: I wonder why they put a windshield wiper on a car with no top over the driver..... Hmmm... Poor fellow!

FL&WVMIKE 10-24-2012 04:39 PM

P.S. ......................
They had a leatherette cover that snapped over the driver's head. You can see the snaps in the photo. I don't know if they had any provisions for windows, or not.

Tom Wesenberg 10-24-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 522346)
PS ......................
They had a leatherette cover that snapped over the driver's head. You can see the snaps in the photo. I don't know if they had any provisions for windows, or not.

Yes, the Town Car had glass windows that rolled up.