The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   brought my 49 F-1 Home (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216623)

Art Newland 03-13-2017 12:31 AM

brought my 49 F-1 Home

1 Attachment(s)
Spent some time trying to work out some of the bugs. It acted like the accelerator pump wasn't working right, after a little inspection found the linkage was missing. I fabricated a linkage from wire and it is better, was wondering how comparable the different carbs are? My carb is marked 8RT, there are several used carbs for sale over at the swap meet section, mostly marked 8BA. I'd really like to fix the existing carb, guess I'm looking for a donor carb.

FortyNiner 03-13-2017 01:51 AM

Re: brought my 49 F-1 Home

You'll need to be careful as the carbs for trucks (8RT) differ from the car versions (8BA). Check the mounting, orientation, and air horn. The air cleaner mounting typically was diffferent. Generally, it is possible to swap one for the other - with other small accommodatingl changes. Donor pieces are generally fine - again, watch for small differences externally.

flatheadmurre 03-13-2017 02:04 AM

Mechanical parts(levers etc) are the same as long as you stay within 8BA/RT family.
Top part is straight where you attach aircleaner on cars and cone shape on trucks.
Some of the vendors will probably sell you the part you need for less then a donorcarb.
Take it apart examine it get the parts you need with a rebuild kit and put it back togetter.

Art Newland 03-13-2017 09:42 AM

OK, thanks, I see now that around the throat of the carb is different where the air cleaner attaches. I do have the stock oil-bath air-cleaner so I don't want to screw that up.

Art Newland 03-13-2017 09:44 AM

Where do you F series guy like to by your parts? I have a couple of favorites for Model A parts and MAC's isn't one of them...

TStiles 03-13-2017 10:35 AM

Hard to go wrong with C&G and Dennis Carpenter for many of the odds and ends. NOS parts are becoming harder to find as time goes on.

DD931 03-13-2017 10:39 AM

Agree. C&G first, if they don't have it then Carpenter. C&G has fantastic service!! I live in PA and when I order something from them it's always in my hands in two days.

1948F-1Pickup 03-13-2017 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Newland (Post 1441974)
Spent some time trying to work out some of the bugs. It acted like the accelerator pump wasn't working right, after a little inspection found the linkage was missing. I fabricated a linkage from wire and it is better, was wondering how comparable the different carbs are? My carb is marked 8RT, there are several used carbs for sale over at the swap meet section, mostly marked 8BA. I'd really like to fix the existing carb, guess I'm looking for a donor carb.

I've found plenty still out there and pretty good stuff on eBay.
I just recently got a RT Holley 94 top fairly reasonably so I could
machine off the air cleaner flange for a G&C assembly, rather
than modding my original part.

My accelerator pump also needed work when I got the truck. Person
I got it from was telling me "it just needs to warm up." Turned out
that the spreaders and nozzles were clogged with crap and weren't
even close to sealed to the carb body correctly anyway.

Ken Crans 03-13-2017 05:10 PM

I use Sacramento Vintage Ford,and Midwest Early Ford both great F-1 sources.

JSeery 03-13-2017 08:42 PM

I use LMC a lot for some items.

37coop 03-14-2017 12:46 PM

C&G every time for me,to here in the U.K the shipping is expensive so it needs to be right first time ,they answer all questions quickly and the website tells you if its in stock,carpenter a good second choice .

Art Newland 03-15-2017 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While I was spending a few hours of quality time trying to get the brakes lines off of the master cylinder, I was looking at the diff, I'm not real familiar with Ford's but it looks like a 9 in back there?

JSeery 03-15-2017 10:34 AM

Check the tag that's on the center section, it should tell you.

Art Newland 03-15-2017 10:52 AM

The tag says 3.70

JSeery 03-15-2017 11:23 AM

Well, that's the ratio. There aren't any other marking on it?

FortyNiner 03-15-2017 06:30 PM

This might help: http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...rential-swaps/

scicala 03-15-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Newland (Post 1441974)

If all you need is the link that fell off, send CharlieNY a PM on Ford Barn. He should have parts like that.

Sal

Art Newland 03-16-2017 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got hooked up with a fellow flathead guy and he gave me the link. :)
It does work better now but everything is pretty loose/worn. The rearend seems to be an early model 9 inch, probably from a late 50 early 60 pickup, 3.70 ration doesn't sound too bad, with a 9 inch rear there are lots of ratios available. Should handle the 239's horsepower without too much problem.:D