The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting ready for the transplant (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314874)

Huckster 06-25-2022 03:18 PM

Getting ready for the transplant

2 Attachment(s)
Got my rebuilt short block on the stand and getting everything cleaned up and painted. The head is at the machine shop getting cleaned and surfaced.
Hopefully I’ll have it in and running in the next week or two.

Gary WA 06-25-2022 03:42 PM

Re: Getting ready for the transplant

Nice Job get ur done!!!!

Bob Bidonde 06-26-2022 10:45 AM

Huckster, I just finished installing a rebuilt motor in my 190A, so I suggest that you:
1. Record the mileage;
2. Do a compression check upon installation and again at 100 miles after torquing the cylinder head nuts;

3. Add 1/2 jar of Bar's Pelletized Stop Leak to the coolant;
4. Add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline and motor oil as directed on the container;
5. Make sure the transmission input shaft will not spin inside of the pilot bearing;
6. Grease the clutch throwout bearing;
7. Clean & wax the firewall and underside of the hood.

Huckster 06-26-2022 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 2142317)
Huckster, I just finished installing a rebuilt motor in my 190A, so I suggest that you:
1. Record the mileage;
2. Do a compression check upon installation and again at 100 miles after torquing the cylinder head nuts;

3. Add 1/2 jar of Bar's Pelletized Stop Leak to the coolant;
4. Add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gasoline and motor oil as directed on the container;
5. Make sure the transmission input shaft will not spin inside of the pilot bearing;
6. Grease the clutch throwout bearing;
7. Clean & wax the firewall and underside of the hood.

I use marvel mystery oil in about every other tank of gas. I plan on doing all of that except the bar’s leak. The block has been checked and I took two heads out to be cleaned and magnafluxed, one original police head and a Winfield head. I won’t use if cracked. What is the purpose of using bar leak? I’m just asking because I’ve never used it before. I’ve always been under the impression that it was used for radiator leaks and I have heard of it clogging radiator’s.
Thank you for your information.

Bob Bidonde 06-27-2022 09:13 AM

I use the Bars to to stop any drips / seepage from a new head gasket and coolant hose connections.

Huckster 06-27-2022 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 2142573)
I use the Bars to to stop any drips / seepage from a new head gasket and coolant hose connections.

Thank you, I have never heard of that but I may just try it.