The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Versatile transmissions.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76094)

Uncle Bob 07-05-2012 09:12 AM

Versatile transmissions....

3 Attachment(s)
To paraphrase an old saying; "One man's junk becomes another man's junk when moved to a different garage."

So, a couple days ago I was chasing some EV8 parts from a local ad. While talking about "stuff" the seller asked if I had any interest in a couple Model A transmissions. "Sure" I said, so we went down to his hidden storage shed and he dragged out parts of two transmissions, and this one pictured below. My first guess was it was used as a gear change unit for a piece of machinery. The seller agreed and thought that his dad had used it on a "sander".............must have been a high production unit to warrant this. Anyway, the flanges on either end are good quality machinings and may have been a regular production item for some equipment manufacturer.

Anyone have more of the story?

Kevin in NJ 07-05-2012 12:10 PM

Re: Versatile transmissions....

Could have been a one off by a good machinist.

I have seen A trannys used in overhead flat belt machinery conversions to rear motors.

amodel25 07-06-2012 07:21 AM

I ended up with a transmission in a bunch of parts I bought several years ago. The input shaft had been crudely modified to accept a "rag" joint flexible connection for some kind of farm or industrial application. It must have happened early in it's life and the application light duty because all of the gears other than the modified input looked brand new. They all have resided in the transmission in my '31 Town Sedan for 20 years and still work great.

Uncle Bob 07-06-2012 08:12 AM

Yeah, I haven't taken time to open it up yet, but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been shifted on the fly without synchros, so hoping the gears are going to reflect that. I can dream can't I?;)

George Miller 07-06-2012 12:15 PM

It might have been use in a Doodle Bug, as the second transmission. They use to put in two transmission in to slow down tractor, plus give it more pulling power.

Uncle Bob 07-06-2012 01:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I would have expected different connections as an inline additional trans, but hey, that's as good a guess as any.

That notion would fit with some other Doodlebug hardware I fell into when I bought an "all or nothing" pile of Model A stuff. These are gear reduction units that bolt to the end of a stock rear end manufactured by a company known as ARPS (thanks to fellow Barner in a previous thread).

jrapose 07-06-2012 01:30 PM

I was in San Freancisco and at the waterfront I was totally amazed at how many of the old SF fishing boats used a Model A transmission on the net pullers...neat to see how they had em rigged up...I have also seen them on Buz saws..

Joel