The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ah, back when the land was free (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151024)

Old Henry 10-02-2014 06:25 PM

Ah, back when the land was free

And one could drive, walk, tag, and run anywhere and any time one wanted. No traffic or pedestrian laws at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEvB_ZIWtAg

RIDE ON THE CABLE CAR IN SAN FRANCISCO IN 1906

108 YEAR OLD FILM CLIP
...This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever that has come to light. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car as it`s traveling down the street. You feel as if you're really there, standing at the front looking down the street, amazing piece of historic film.
The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing! The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there. ... How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Talk about going green!
Great historical film!

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!).. It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing, but true!
No wonder there had to be laws created to regulate driving habits. This is insane. Good thing they couldn't go very fast.
This is a fascinating movie. A camera on the front of a street car 108 years ago. I watched it a couple of times. Look at the hats the ladies were wearing and the long dresses. Some of the cars had the steering wheels on the right side, I wonder when they standardized on the left? Sure was still a lot of horse drawn vehicles in use. Mass transit looked like the way to get around. Looks like everybody had the right of way.
Perhaps the oldest "home movie" that you will ever see!

Talkwrench 10-02-2014 06:54 PM

Re: Ah, back when the land was free

Its a very cool vid, I wondered if it was before the quake.. My wife and I love San Fran.. I got my best tattoos done there down on the wharf ; o )

super flat 10-02-2014 10:12 PM

Just SUPER------Thanks Gary

Brian 10-02-2014 11:30 PM

Thanks Henry...actually, in the land of the free, they did standandise the steering - to the right - how it's supposed to be! lol Brian [New Zealand]

BILL WZOREK 10-03-2014 07:21 AM

Did I see cable cars crossing each other / How did they do that ???

41LINC 10-03-2014 07:53 AM

Those were not cable cars at cross-traffic but electric trolleys which ran on an overhead wire.

Adam/Mill Valley CA 10-03-2014 08:03 AM

I've seen this film a number of times, it's always a pleasure to see it again-an amazing view into the past! It may look a little more chaotic than it really was since the action appears to be sped up by the frame rate. Current San Francisco traffic is still a mess despite modern regulations, the city is actively trying to figure out a way to reduce the high rate of pedestrian fatalities

Adam

Dick 10-03-2014 08:22 AM

Priceless, thank you!

Old Henry 10-03-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK (Post 955796)
Did I see cable cars crossing each other / How did they do that ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41LINC (Post 955813)
Those were not cable cars at cross-traffic but electric trolleys which ran on an overhead wire.

Although the crossing cars in this video were trolleys running on overhead wires, cable cars did cross paths by disconnecting from their cable, coasting over the crossing cable, then reconnecting to their cable.

banjoQ 10-03-2014 10:28 AM

Thats a nice film clip Prof. I have seen some of it before, but this is certainly a sharper copy. It is filmed from a streetcar running down Market St. heading to the Ferry Building. Even if the film has been sped up, he is making good time. I don't think you could travel that distance in that amount of time these days. The City is still a beautiful place to see,but the congestion is not to be believed. For those of us who live and work there, it's normal. I often wonder what tourist think when they get in the thick of it.
At least a couple of times a year I take the Old Blue truck back to the city for a run around town. For me, it's the best way to see the City. I like to let my mind wander and imagine how many times the ol' truck traveled those streets in the past. To many, I'm sure. Thanks

dude 10-03-2014 11:01 AM

Enjoyed ! thank you

Old Henry 10-03-2014 11:11 AM

Here it is now. Looks like a mess

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/5...17342097_b.jpg

banjoQ 10-03-2014 12:30 PM

Reread original post and watched the film again. Thinking about the use of horses in the city. Many structures built at the turn of the century in the Mission, Outer Mission, Noe Valley included haylofts and carridge houses. Some still exist. I travel these areas and know where they are. At this time the Mission was the outskirts and had farmland and dairyland. Certainly was a slower pace of life.
After the Quake, horse drawn water tanks were brought out to this area to fill the tanks from the many wells. Then taken back downtown to fight the fires. It's no wonder the fire spread so fast.

Graeme / New Zealand 10-04-2014 01:58 AM

Thanks for posting. bloody amazing! With all those cars ducking in and out of horse drawn gear, people dashing across the roads, buckboards, carriages ducking in front of the trams etc it is no wonder no one was run down ( in reality it was probably a regular thing). Guess you could say this is "early dashcam" at its best. The whole irony is in viewing this every single person you see in it is dead now....I wonder how many of the old cars have survived?

GB

funrunr 10-04-2014 06:56 AM

Great clip, kinda ironic that most people still drive like that! LOL

30-9 10-04-2014 02:25 PM

Really enjoyed it THANKS

Marv 10-04-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funrunr (Post 956302)
Great clip, kinda ironic that most people still drive like that! LOL

Think about it. Who taught the people that drive today.LOL

FortyNiner 10-04-2014 03:09 PM

Very cool - despite the music.

johnh7 10-04-2014 03:37 PM

Old Henry, it’s not a mess, it's organized chaos!

Old Henry 10-05-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand (Post 956265)
Thanks for posting. bloody amazing! With all those cars ducking in and out of horse drawn gear, people dashing across the roads, buckboards, carriages ducking in front of the trams etc it is no wonder no one was run down? GB

Probably had a lot to do with no one and no thing moving faster than 10 mph as far as I could tell. :rolleyes: