The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Points Gap (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157025)

Bruce of MN 12-15-2014 09:59 AM

Points Gap

I drove my '31 Coupe to a local car guy gathering on Friday. When I tried to drive home, it wouldn't start. The owner of the shop we were at let me leave it inside, next to a '22 Rolls! Anyway, this morning I went over to the shop and he had driven it, but it ran poorly. We talked about a new condenser and I was going to put in an old one I had in the toolbox, but I thought I would take my time and re-time it and check the gap. That was the key; I had to turn the adjuster at least a full turn to get .020". One funny thing was that during the last few drives, the gears would grind while upshifting, even with a nice leisurely shift. After adjusting the gap, it was back to nice smooth operation.

Patrick L. 12-15-2014 10:07 AM

Re: Points Gap

A full turn, thats quite a bit. The rubbing block must be worn a bit. Grease ?

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-15-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 998164)
A full turn, thats quite a bit. The rubbing block must be worn a bit. Grease ?

Sometimes can be caused by a loose, wobbly point pivot post. Remove the plate & TAP-TAP-TAP the lower end of the post with a fairly blunt center punch, to tighten it.
When they're loose, the rubbing block doesn't fit squarely against the cam lobe & causes rapid wear of the block & PFFFFT, the danged thing DIES:eek::mad:
Bill W.

dr.j 12-15-2014 12:49 PM

Hey Bill, welcome back.

newshirt 12-15-2014 12:52 PM

When was the last time you changed the points? The rubbing block can wear significantly within the first 300 miles. Lube distributor cam with Vaseline every 500 miles.

John S 12-15-2014 01:30 PM

Here's a link for distributor cam lube. This small tube will last almost forever:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-26015/

Bruce of MN 12-15-2014 04:19 PM

Thanks. I do lube the cam, but apparently not often enough. I'll keep a better eye on it.

John S 12-15-2014 04:31 PM

One thing that happened to me once was that the upper bushing in the distributor got dry and the friction made a lot of heat. The points closed up twice in less than 100 miles. I guess the rubbing block on the points couldn't take the high heat and just wore away. Might be a good idea to make sure your distributor is oiled and not dried out and about to lock up like mine was. :(

Brentwood Bob 12-15-2014 06:03 PM

You will want to check the point gap frequently to see if the points you are using are the kind with a bad wear block. Also if the upper bushing is worn and allows movement of the cam you get premature wear. Just pop the distributor cap and try to move the rotor sideways to test for wear in the bushing, and frequently oil the upper bushing.
A new set of points will need to wear in.
Bob

mhsprecher 12-15-2014 06:26 PM

All good points (pun intended), but there was a mention in the most recent issue of Model A News (I think. I can't put my hands on the issue right now) about over-lubricating the distributor and cam, which can lead to problems, too. FWIW

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-17-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsprecher (Post 998465)
All good points (pun intended), but there was a mention in the most recent issue of Model A News (I think. I can't put my hands on the issue right now) about over-lubricating the distributor and cam, which can lead to problems, too. FWIW

YES,
There should be MODERATION in ALL things!:)
Bill W.

Mitch//pa 12-17-2014 05:19 PM

to add to the point topic i am working on Ethans A and put in a new distributor with original point set up .. the contacts came misaligned so anyone using these the adjustment block is adjustable just pry it over a little with a scredriver..

Patrick L. 12-17-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 999500)
to add to the point topic i am working on Ethans A and put in a new distributor with original point set up .. the contacts came misaligned so anyone using these the adjustment block is adjustable just pry it over a little with a scredriver..

If it was one of the 'new' distributors, I posted before I had the same problem with one. Maybe thats an issue with all of them.
I ended up 'modifying' one mounting hole and resoldering the ends of the primary lead [ open].

Mitch//pa 12-17-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 999502)
If it was one of the 'new' distributors, I posted before I had the same problem with one. Maybe thats an issue with all of them.
I ended up 'modifying' one mounting hole and resoldering the ends of the primary lead [ open].

yea Pat new, but the block pryed right over it was already slotted no modifications needed...
maybe the newer ones are alreadsy modified

johnbuckley 12-18-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce of MN (Post 998158)
.... One funny thing was that during the last few drives, the gears would grind while upshifting, even with a nice leisurely shift. After adjusting the gap, it was back to nice smooth operation.

Can anyone explain this from the original question?

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-18-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbuckley (Post 999781)

Over active IMAGINATION GLAND & probably shifting at a lower RPM & speed.
Bill W.

Patrick L. 12-18-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Don't know. Maybe the engine was running so poorly that extra throttle was being used.

Mitch//pa 12-18-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

mine goes faster after i wax it

Purdy Swoft 12-18-2014 01:34 PM

A s for smooth clash free gear shifts, a lot depends on the road. If you are going down hill, shifts need to be made quickly or wheel speed gets ahead of gear speed and you get a clash. Sometimes if the shift is too leisurely you will get clash

Slowplane 12-18-2014 05:19 PM

Cam Lube Grease (Summit Racing): $13. for 0.25 oz.
Vasoline: somethin' like a buck a gallon
...am I missin' something here??