The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Which penetrating oil is best? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30291)

Roger/Sacramento 03-01-2011 01:18 PM

Which penetrating oil is best?

Penetrating Oil Machinist’s Workshop Magazine recently did a test to determine which brand of penetrating oil worked best on rusty bolt / nut combinations. They scientifically rusted the threads on a group of nut/bolt combinations then measured the torque it took to remove the nuts after they had been soaked with various penetrants.
Here are the results….
No Penetrant 516 poundsWD-40 238 poundsPB Blaster 214 poundsLiquid Wrench 127 poundsKano Kroil 106 poundsATF / Acetone 53 pounds

The ATF / Acetone is a homemade machinist’s recipe that has been around for more than sixty years. It is made up of fifty percent Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone (acetone… you can buy at any local hardware store). The ATF/Acetone mix proved to be the most effective by far and costs the least amount per use. It was also interesting to note that the Liquid Wrench brand worked almost as good as the Kroil brand which costs about 20 percent more.

I put this information here because… if you are like me… you have tried most of these brands at one time or another and some seemed to work better than others… but there was no real proof…till now.
It also gives you greater respect for those early day machinists who after much trial and error figured out a simple penetrant recipe that works better than anything available today. If you ever wondered what they used before products like WD-40 and Liquid Wrench were available…now you know.

51 MERC-CT 03-01-2011 01:59 PM

Re: Which penetrating oil is best?

That's great but unfortunatly I have never had any 'scientifically rusted' nuts to remove.:D

Ronnie 03-01-2011 09:48 PM

Sea Foam deep creep is also a good product.

Ronnie

felix37 03-01-2011 10:31 PM

I will have to give the ATF/acetone thing a try!

Lanny 03-02-2011 12:04 AM

ATF evaporates at a very very slow rate, BUT Acetone evaporates super super Fast, so you better keep your mix in an Enclosed container, or keep adding Acetone very very often.

Bill S 03-02-2011 12:21 AM

Aerokroil. Not cheap but it what the machine shops use that work on the old stuff.

fourfords 03-02-2011 02:03 AM

Mouse Milk. Weird name but is very good. Works well in avation too.

55 dude 03-02-2011 05:42 AM

the ATF/ACETONE mix is fantastic!

mrmoose 03-02-2011 06:48 AM

I like GibbsBrand....it's also a very good corrosion inhibiter.

32B 03-02-2011 09:55 AM

have been using the Kroil for years. Dad used to work at a boat shop and they used gallons of it. Works great, but will def try the atf/acetone as I always have both on hand anyway.

Frank The Plumber 03-02-2011 10:37 AM

Calfonex, I'm not sure if it's still made but it worked well.

Old Redneck 03-02-2011 10:39 AM

I use PB Blaster most of the time . Its may not the best but easy to get and works most of the time.Your local stores has it.

ajohn 03-02-2011 11:06 AM

Nothing,I repeat,Nothing on planet earth will beat Castle thrust.It is hard to find,but amazes everyone who has ever tried it. James:)

Cecil/WV 03-02-2011 11:55 AM

Something I used to like, but haven't seen for while is CRC 5-56. I think Kroil is probably better, though.

Mike51Merc 03-02-2011 12:25 PM

I use PB Blaster, but that stuff smells nasty!

Ol' Ron 03-02-2011 12:42 PM

I have to say the ATF/Acetone work best for me. Over the past 50 years I've tried most all the penatrents and fount this combination to work best

Tim Ayers 03-02-2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55 dude (Post 169857)
the ATF/ACETONE mix is fantastic!

+1 on this.

Bill in Al 03-02-2011 07:06 PM

knocker-loose by K-N if I remember correctly.

OldDad 03-02-2011 07:30 PM

I like the blue wrench, if heat is not an issue. I've also used Liquid Wrench for years to keep things moist while I proceed to snap things off! Sort of like liquid drain cleaners -- pour it in, let it sit for a bit, then go get the snake and clear it out. Of course, it is my inept technique which explains this phenomenon, and no lack of efficacy on the part of these fine products!

nbrskn 03-03-2011 02:17 PM

when I worked in KC back in 61 62 we had a product called Motion. Could be used on electrical stuff. Spray a directional switch and sometimes it would work again .
hydrogen peroxide works allso.