The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   tail lights 41 Ford (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39423)

Walt Dupont--Me. 06-11-2011 08:56 PM

tail lights 41 Ford

A friend has a bone stock 41 Ford coupe, it's a beauty. He 's worried that his tail light airnt bright enough. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a bigger candle power bulb that fits right in the stock 41 tail light. His is the double filement with the 2 tits right across from each other. This is still the 6 volt system. Thanks Walt

Flathead 06-11-2011 09:10 PM

Re: tail lights 41 Ford

I think there are Halogens available but they use a lot of juice and run hot. Has he tried adding reflectors inside the light housing? I can remember useing shiny foil cupcake papers to make reflectors. Don't know if they still sell them.
Walt, do you go to the Thomas Point Bluegrass Festival?? It is back this year.

George49Ford 06-11-2011 09:19 PM

I tried the halogens and didn't find them a whole lot brighter and they are very hot. If the the wiring in the car is good the originals should be ok. I did the "tin foil' thing too.

Lawson Cox 06-11-2011 09:31 PM

Paint the insides a glossy white. Really brightens things up.

TJ 06-11-2011 10:05 PM

Make sure the tailght housings have a good ground and follow all the other suggestions.

Big Al 06-17-2011 12:31 PM

Hi
on the 41 tail light conversion. Here are some of the sugestions i played with:

Painting the entire tail light housing
white inside bulb bracket and all

the :l"shaped bulb socket bracket is only held in the housing with two small rivits. They can be drilled out and the relocated deeper inside of the housing so a haligon bulb would fit. Also as i remember, there is room for two bulbs inside the housing

drill heat vent holes in the housing so the haligon heat can get out

make sure there is a good ground for all bulbs, and everything electric. I

big al

40Dave 06-17-2011 05:23 PM

Go with a LED conversion. I'm sure they are available for 6 Volt systems.

Dave

Terry,OH 06-18-2011 06:06 AM

I went to LED tail light bulbs on 6V but the bulb only comes in the 1157 base which has the offset pins on the side, I found it very easy to change the bulb socket on the 34-35 style tail light but the 41 will be a bit harder(Tyree Harris has the sockets). I used "Super bright LED". If you do go to LED bulbs make sure you order red LED, using another color such as white and the red lens will filter out light and make the LED tail lights dimmer.

Steves46 06-18-2011 06:14 AM

Walt, besides using reflective foil or painting the inside buckets white, Sacramento Vintage Ford sells "super bright" 6 volt tail light bulbs. These are essentially higher candlepower bulbs and will not effect the generator. I installed a set on my 46 and it really made a difference. Also, good wire connections and running an additional ground wire from each tail light certainly helps.

Walt Dupont--Me. 06-18-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steves46 (Post 225424)
Walt, besides using reflective foil or painting the inside buckets white, Sacramento Vintage Ford sells "super bright" 6 volt tail light bulbs. These are essentially higher candlepower bulbs and will not effect the generator. I installed a set on my 46 and it really made a difference. Also, good wire connections and running an additional ground wire from each tail light certainly helps.

Thanks Steve, will call Sacramento, Walt