The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   30 closed cab top (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16246)

rglaab 09-28-2010 07:30 PM

30 closed cab top

I am ready to start the roof installation on our truck, and thanks some great postings, everything looks real clear. The one question I have is where does the chicken wire go? Is it between the base material and the cotton or left out completely? I am sorry if this seems like a silly question, but the last car we did was a roadster. Thanks Much Rob

ford1 09-28-2010 07:42 PM

Re: 30 closed cab top

the wire is pulled tight and stapled to the roof bows, then the cottpn sizing is laid down on the wire and glued down, you dont want any thing moving and wadding up under the top material

David Moore 09-28-2010 07:42 PM

There is no chicken wire in a truck. There is black duck cloth stretched over the top bows that holds the top padding in place. The duck cloth and bows are visible from the inside, there is no headliner.

ford1 09-28-2010 08:05 PM

yes i know there is no wire in a p/u, but im not a points nut, i just like mine to look finished inside, i lay down a swath of upholstery material to match my seats, pulled tight under the wire, its my way of having a head liner in my truck, and it keeps the flapping noise down

mass A man 09-28-2010 09:13 PM

Just my two cents but I would nix the wire--Just another thing to poke the new top material.

Tom Wesenberg 09-28-2010 09:31 PM

I recently did a 31 widebed, and as Dave said, there is no chicken wire. With everything pulled tight and nailed, it looks good and there is no flapping.

Doug Cox 09-29-2010 07:58 AM

A few years ago I put together a PowerPoint presentation on installing the roof on my 1930 closed cab Pickup. I wish I took a few more photos of the process. Here is the link if you want to review it. It will take a while to down load because it is a large file.

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/puroof/puroof_files/frame.htm

One of the photos shows the use of weights to hold down the roofing material. This is really not necessary. This was my first attempt and I was by myself in the wintertime so I thought I needed all the help I could muster.

If you have any more questions do hesitate to ask..

Good Luck and have fun, I did

Tom from Drippin' 09-29-2010 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No chicken wire required.

IrishHills 09-29-2010 08:49 AM

Maybe be of interest.

Mac's have their upholstering 15% off until tomorrow at closing time, I just ordered a top for my 31 pickup.. says everything you need... $79.95

BTW.. like your truck there Tom, is that sandle wood upholstering? better pic with door open? :)

Tom from Drippin' 09-29-2010 09:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=BTW.. like your truck there Tom, is that sandle wood upholstering? better pic with door open? :)[/QUOTE]

"Sandle wood upholstering" ??? It's Lebaron Bonney brown cross cobra grain (I think)

Interior Photos:

Neil Wilson 09-29-2010 09:53 AM

The wood in the 82-A and 82-B closed cabs are not designed for installation of chicken wire like the passenger cars. If you put chicken wire in a closed cab, it will likely show through the head liner and the top material in a few years. So, don't used chicken wire. Just my thoughts!

IrishHills 09-29-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom from Drippin' (Post 89547)
"Sandle wood upholstering" ??? It's Lebaron Bonney brown cross cobra grain (I think)

Interior Photos:

Thanks Tom, Nice Truck!! I just saw Sandle Wood as an option at Mac's, I know nothing about A's, just bought my truck project last week. got'a lot to learn. Thanks for the pic's. Ray

Mike V. Florida 09-29-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Cox (Post 89507)
A few years ago I put together a PowerPoint presentation on installing the roof on my 1930 closed cab Pickup. I wish I took a few more photos of the process. Here is the link if you want to review it. It will take a while to down load because it is a large file.

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/puroof/puroof_files/frame.htm

One of the photos shows the use of weights to hold down the roofing material. This is really not necessary. This was my first attempt and I was by myself in the wintertime so I thought I needed all the help I could muster.

If you have any more questions do hesitate to ask..

Good Luck and have fun, I did

Am I the only one that can't get all the pictures to show up in the power point?

bobgreco 09-29-2010 06:23 PM

I could not see the pictures either

Doug Cox 09-30-2010 08:47 AM

I just check Bob's site and I see what you are talking about. The photos were not resized so the files are large and take a long time to load. If you are using a dial up modem it will take forever, if at all. Sorry. Once I opened the PowerPoint I then selected the "Slide Show" feature and slowly allowed each page to load. The photos would finally load.

I may go back and re-do the slides and resize all the photos...