The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where to start ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144204)

Bob NH 07-12-2014 10:08 AM

Where to start ?

Went to a show a short ways from home on Thursday evening, (about four or five miles) and while on the way back home developed a skip from time to time. Drove about three or four miles this AM and it seems to be getting worse. What should I be looking for to start ? My thoughts are maybe ignition issues first ? Thanks for advise :confused:

BUBBAS IGNITION 07-12-2014 10:38 AM

Re: Where to start ?

Condensor would be suspect......as far as ignition....

Scott H in Wheaton 07-12-2014 10:40 AM

Ignition issues sometimes will occur with engine hot that won't occur when engine is cold.
Same with fuel issues.
With the problem getting worse within a short period of time I would suspect fuel. I think ignition parts, if they don't fail all at once, will gradually get worse. Whereas fuel problems can get real bad real quick if you've got water or sediment issues.

I would follow Bubba's Ignition advice and do the condenser. Inexpensive and quick to change compared to the tank, the pump, or the fuel itself.

V8COOPMAN 07-12-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 909041)
Condensor would be suspect......as far as ignition....

........or possibly even something as simple as a loose plug wire connection at either end. DD

B-O-B 07-12-2014 11:45 AM

Are you running any additives in the fuel like MMO or marine grade sta-bil or any other fuel stabilizers. Possibly a stick valve?

Bob NH 07-12-2014 12:18 PM

Just regular "Junk" gas with no additives as long as I've owned it. I have a newly rebuilt "Bubbas" dist. in the trunk but did not want to go to the bother of changing it yet if not needed. Seemed to idle fine when home but have not messed with it since. Just looking for good ideas and a condenser might be an easy fix ? NAPA ? Anyone got a part #? and thank all of U guys for the suggestions thus far. Really appreciate your thoughts, that's why I'm here !

V8COOPMAN 07-12-2014 12:25 PM

IH-200. Dd

19Fordy 07-12-2014 12:49 PM

I'd put my money on the condenser.Let us know what you find.

scooder 07-12-2014 03:19 PM

You got a brand spanky New rebuilt dizzy in the trunk? While your fiddle arsing around the front of the engine, changing the condenser. Undo a couple more fasteners and change the dizzy. You'll have your tools out and you'll be under the hood.
What's the bother?
You know it makes sence,
Martin.

B-O-B 07-12-2014 06:01 PM

Martin, they last forever in the trunk or on the shelf!!! heh heh he

tubman 07-12-2014 08:16 PM

From my snowmobiling racing days : "Run your best parts".

Bob NH 07-13-2014 05:37 AM

B-O-B , my thoughts exactly ! We ain't racin yet tubman, probably won't for a while ?

Bob NH 07-15-2014 03:14 PM

I'm baaaaaack ! Took you folks advise and changed out the distributor as well as a new condenser from NAPA. Really don't like working on these old beaters as well as some of ya but got it done anyway. Rather glad after seeing the condition of the one I took off that it went south here and not on the road someplace. I took a few pics but always have trouble trying to post on here. When I started it, it seems to be rather in retard a bit too much but Bubba has marked the setting so will try not to tinker with it. Have to see how it goes down the road. Also had to set the idle a bit more but so far so good and thanks to all the guys for suggestions. Now another one off to Indiana for refurbishing soon so I have a spare again !

scooder 07-15-2014 04:44 PM

Made sence didn't it.
Glad you did change the whole thang.
Martin.

Bob NH 07-15-2014 04:50 PM

Me too now that jobs over !