The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   logging camp relics (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42756)

klicker 07-20-2011 10:45 PM

logging camp relics

9 Attachment(s)
There's a restaurant 18 miles from the Oregon coast that has a logging museum and a yard full of old logging equipment. I found a couple of flatheads, including a stationary power supply of some kind, and a rusted out truck that is heavily modified. There is a boom on the back, so perhaps was used to tow logs out of the woods, though it looks a little light weight for that job. At some point they added a whole subframe to the front which had a Caddy flathead. They ran the caddy through a driveshaft connected to the gutted Ford Flathead. I guess that's one way to swap motors :D

Brian 07-20-2011 10:58 PM

Re: logging camp relics

Interesting relics! Isn't the Caddy adaptation a masterpiece? lol How are the main bearings in the gutted Ford motor lubricated? Rough sawmill engineering at it's finest.

klicker 07-20-2011 11:02 PM

Also, I took the pictures of the front wheel because I liked the ford script on the grease cap, then noticed the rounded off lug nuts, then noticed it appears they torched the wheel off (due to the lug nut problem) and welded it back on. It was an amazing rig

wga 07-20-2011 11:15 PM

Klicker - I'd like to visit this restaurant and museum. Where is it? My father was a logger for The Pacific Lumber Company and Roseburg Lumber. Lived in Elkton, house is still there on the highway.

Pete 07-20-2011 11:31 PM

From the looks of the pictures, it looks like they are letting the place become a junkyard...Last time I was there everything was painted up and several of the steam donkeys still worked. They had a working spar pole that could load railroad log cars and several hundred feet of track to run the train on.
Buzz Martin the singing logger was playing in the lounge also.

klicker 07-20-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 242531)
From the looks of the pictures, it looks like they are letting the place become a junkyard...Last time I was there everything was painted up and several of the steam donkeys still worked. They had a working spar pole that could load railroad log cars and several hundred feet of track to run the train on.
Buzz Martin the singing logger was playing in the lounge also.

Pete,
This area that looks kinda junky appears to be a small corner where they have just dropped off a bunch of stuff and haven't gone through it yet. They still have the spar pole and several steam engines, large and small. Still worth a look!

klicker 07-20-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wga (Post 242530)
Klicker - I'd like to visit this restaurant and museum. Where is it? My father was a logger for The Pacific Lumber Company and Roseburg Lumber. Lived in Elkton, house is still there on the highway.

The restaurant is called "Camp 18" appropriately enough, because it is at mile post 18 on Hwy 26, the main highway from Portland to the coast. (I think its about 60 miles west of Portland). The restaurant is a huge log building, which in and of itself is very interesting.

Ray With 07-21-2011 07:19 AM

Inovations at it's finest!. Cut wheel and welded-chisle cuts in the rounded lug nuts and then the front mounted cad motor. They had a lot of time on there hands no doubt.

Sid the Maineiac 07-21-2011 07:28 AM

Very interesting pictures! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes "ya gotta do what cha gotta do" Seems like it would have been easier to put the Cad engine where the Ford was but who knows? I guess you had to be there!

hbleadsled 07-21-2011 08:13 AM

might be more power but more like a counter balance out front for the lifting boom. Harold central coast Ca.

V8ER 07-21-2011 08:14 AM

We've been there as part of our trip to the V8 meet in Bend, Oregon. The pancakes are the size of wheel covers, so you might only need one.

Shadetree 07-21-2011 09:37 AM

Great pictures! I have an old 60HP with a `Y' yoke going to a single radiator inlet. Apparently it was used on some type of farm equipment, wouldn't think it would be powerful enough to use on a saw mill.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...tAndMiss-1.jpg

Yet, when you think of these earlier hit and miss engines that were made around the turn of the century and later that did a multitude of chores and didn't eat hay, were pure luxory. I remember seeing the huge oil well engines and hearing them run as they pumped oil. They weighed tons and maybe produced 30-40 horsepower if that much. To have a flathead Ford engine produce 85 horsepower, start under it's own power and run all day for pennies would be more than one could ask.

I have often thought of this: To take a solid chunk of steel, make it into an engine, add oil and gas and do the work of a hundred horses is inconceivable!

Shadetree

37ford4dr 07-21-2011 11:43 AM

i wonder if the caddy engine was added for ballast for the towing crane? using a flathead like that is the ultimate interface....i wonder if i was faced with the same dilemna if i could have dreamed that up?

Frank Miller 07-21-2011 12:25 PM

I am definitely guessing it was used for ballast. Pulling logs would lighten the front end to the point you would lose steering capability. I bet they drilled and inserted grease fittings in the main bearings for the crankshaft. That is one helluva Cadillac to Ford transmission adapter.

lotsagas4u 07-21-2011 02:18 PM

Where can I get a double pulley like the one on the power unit?

Barlea 07-21-2011 02:19 PM

I'm betting they didn't realize the lug nuts are all left-hand thread on that side, but I agree the Cad is the ultimate powered counterweight! ..B.

cmbrucew 07-21-2011 04:14 PM

They had to have power for the PTO for the winch as well as for driving.
Bruce

Works good
lasts long time

Jason in TX 07-22-2011 08:54 AM

I was about to post the same thing. That heavy caddy flathead out front kept the front of the truck down when lifting heavy logs. Heck. They left the ford flathead there also to keep all the front end weight they could get.