The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The last and the first (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175114)

Old Henry 08-06-2015 10:48 AM

The last and the first

Ever notice how it is ALWAYS the last thing that you do to try to fix a problem that actually fixes it? Whether it's the first thing you try, the 6th, or the 12th, it's always the very LAST thing you do that fixes it. And, too frequently, the ultimate solution to the problem is the simplest thing that you actually thought of first but dismissed as too simple and easy.:(

I just went through that with my fuel delivery problem on a 51 Custom I'm trying to sell for a friend. My first thought was vapor lock but I tried my usual quick diagnostic fix for that and it didn't work so I went on to replace the gas cap, replace the fuel pump, replace the fuel lines from the tank to the flex line and from the pump to the carb, and replace the flex line with one from Shewman with a check valve in it. None of it fixed the problem. So, what was I left with but to return to possible vapor lock? With some additional and more exhaustive and thorough testing such proved to be the problem all along from the start and was fixed with an electric fuel pump. The last thing I did fixed it which was the first thing I thought of.:mad:

FL&WVMIKE 08-06-2015 10:54 AM

Re: The last and the first

OLD HENRY ..........................
Of course, it's the last thing you do, that fixes the problem. After yo fix it, you are not going to try to fix it, again !
It's just like, when you lose something, it's always found in the last place, you looked.
MIKE:) (mikeburch)

Old Henry 08-06-2015 11:08 AM

So, there you go, responding to the profound with simplicity.

The response I had hoped for was, "Gee, I never realized that. That is amazing how that ALWAYS works. I wonder why that is." :confused:

JSeery 08-06-2015 11:23 AM

Lol

Mart 08-06-2015 11:30 AM

It's like when you lose something and it's always in the last place you look.

Glad you fixed it.

Mart.

cmbrucew 08-06-2015 11:38 AM

Professor
Glad you were able to eliminate that issue on a beautiful car.
Someone will be able to enjoy owning and driving a good old car.
Wish it was me.
Bruce

Old Henry 08-06-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 1134306)

It's just like, when you lose something, it's always found in the last place, you looked.
MIKE:) (mikeburch)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 1134344)
It's like when you lose something and it's always in the last place you look.

Mart.

Is there an echo in here?:rolleyes:

Seth Swoboda 08-06-2015 12:14 PM

Last night I found what I was looking for in the second place I looked. I was rather pleased with that.

Mart 08-06-2015 12:21 PM

Serves me right not to skim read.

Kahuna 08-06-2015 03:12 PM

Yes, Seth. It was right where you left it.
It's always the back-tracking that's difficult

FireEngineMike 08-06-2015 03:34 PM

Would one of you please tell me where my safety glasses are. They disappeared from the back seat of my car after my last trip to the storage unit to finish the distributor install.

Binx 08-06-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE (Post 1134306)
Of course, it's the last thing you do, that fixes the problem. After yo fix it, you are not going to try to fix it, again !(mikeburch)

Unless you work for the government.....

Lonnie

AKCJ 08-06-2015 03:46 PM

I'm still having dreams about that 51 . . . .

SofaKing 08-06-2015 05:10 PM

Gee, I never realized that. That is amazing how that ALWAYS works. I wonder why that is?

Bill Wright 08-06-2015 08:14 PM

I was just about to say the same thing!
Amazing how that works out!
I'll have to puzzle out why that is!

Old Henry 08-06-2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing (Post 1134496)
Gee, I never realized that. That is amazing how that ALWAYS works. I wonder why that is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Wright (Post 1134565)
I was just about to say the same thing!
Amazing how that works out!
I'll have to puzzle out why that is!

That's more like it. Help a dumb guy trying to look smart think he really is.:rolleyes:

Old Henry 08-06-2015 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1134368)
Last night I found what I was looking for in the second place I looked.

So, was that:

A. Second to the last place.
B. Second to the first place.
C. First to the last place.
D. B. & C.
E. A. & B.
F. A. & C.
G. All of the above.
H. None of the above.
I. I don't know.*
J. I don't give a darn.^

BTW, did you know that Hu really is on first?

http://www.millerstime.net/wp/wp-con...s-on-first.jpg

* Third base.
^ Short stop. :)

Old Henry 08-06-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireEngineMike (Post 1134455)
Would one of you please tell me where my safety glasses are. They disappeared from the back seat of my car after my last trip to the storage unit to finish the distributor install.

If you ask my wife she'll tell you. "Right where you left them."
(Yeah. So, where was that?):rolleyes:

41ford1 08-06-2015 08:51 PM

I glad you cured the problem. The thing that bothers me is the video you posted of the trail of bubbles in the clear tubing. Is the heat source causing the vapor lock condition the under hood temps or the exhaust pipe heating the fuel line from the tank? It is also possible there is a leak in the fuel line that allows air to be drawn in when the pump is pulling fuel when the engine is running. I would be inclined to monitor the fuel line to be sure no fuel is leaking under pressure from the new electric pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Henry (Post 1134301)
Ever notice how it is ALWAYS the last thing that you do to try to fix a problem that actually fixes it? Whether it's the first thing you try, the 6th, or the 12th, it's always the very LAST thing you do that fixes it. And, too frequently, the ultimate solution to the problem is the simplest thing that you actually thought of first but dismissed as too simple and easy.:(

I just went through that with my fuel delivery problem on a 51 Custom I'm trying to sell for a friend. My first thought was vapor lock but I tried my usual quick diagnostic fix for that and it didn't work so I went on to replace the gas cap, replace the fuel pump, replace the fuel lines from the tank to the flex line and from the pump to the carb, and replace the flex line with one from Shewman with a check valve in it. None of it fixed the problem. So, what was I left with but to return to possible vapor lock? With some additional and more exhaustive and thorough testing such proved to be the problem all along from the start and was fixed with an electric fuel pump. The last thing I did fixed it which was the first thing I thought of.:mad:

Old Henry 08-06-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41ford1 (Post 1134591)
I glad you cured the problem. The thing that bothers me is the video you posted of the trail of bubbles in the clear tubing. Is the heat source causing the vapor lock condition the under hood temps or the exhaust pipe heating the fuel line from the tank? It is also possible there is a leak in the fuel line that allows air to be drawn in when the pump is pulling fuel when the engine is running. I would be inclined to monitor the fuel line to be sure no fuel is leaking under pressure from the new electric pump.

Through my testing I've concluded that the vapor lock starts in the fuel line coming up and attached to the fire wall. That was the source of the bubbles in the clear tube. I had thought the same thing about the fuel line over the exhaust pipe so insulated it. Didn't help. Fuel line is now all new and no leaks.