The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Removing water Pump (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61799)

Airrace 02-11-2012 10:09 PM

Removing water Pump

I am trying to remove the water pump from 1939 Ford flathead and it won't come loose. I have removed all of the bolts including the bolt in the lower inlet of the water hose area, so that is not it. Do I have to raise the engine to take the pressure off of the motor mount? or is there another trick?

Thanks in advance

ford1 02-11-2012 10:17 PM

Re: Removing water Pump

yes you have to jack up the engine, if your sure you have all the bolts removed including the one in the bottom outlet and the bolts bolting it to the frame , the gasket probably has been glued to the block and engine, get a thin scrapper and carefully drive it between the pump and engine, tap the pump carefully with a brass hammer, slow and easy is the key, lots of patience also

Airrace 02-11-2012 10:33 PM

Thanks for the information.

Were would you recommend to put the jack at to raise the motor. Do I need to remove anything else before I raise the motor?

Thanks in advance

ford1 02-11-2012 10:36 PM

put a 2x4 or 2x6 on top of a hydralic jack under the front of the pan, only need to lift the engine about an inch

Airrace 02-12-2012 12:25 AM

Thanks for all your help!

ken ct 02-12-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airrace (Post 362310)
I am trying to remove the water pump from 1939 Ford flathead and it won't come loose. I have removed all of the bolts including the bolt in the lower inlet of the water hose area, so that is not it. Do I have to raise the engine to take the pressure off of the motor mount? or is there another trick?

Thanks in advance

Be very careful,sounds like your motor is being held up by the stuck gasket ,SUPPORT the motor before you do anything.ken ct.:eek:

Fibber Mcgee 02-12-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken ct (Post 362406)
Be very careful,sounds like your motor is being held up by the stuck gasket ,SUPPORT the motor before you do anything.ken ct.:eek:

Thats what I was thinking ,that could be a mess.I'd be careful getting that jack under there.

Airrace 02-12-2012 11:42 AM

I think I will just order a pair of pumps from Bob Drakes and put them in the same time I take the old ones out. I don't want to leave the motor on jacks till I get them rebuilt.

Thanks for everyone help!

Gumpy 02-12-2012 12:06 PM

I think it's best to use a rubber mallet ...when u reinstall the new water pumps put the bottom bolt in with a little anti-cease...good luck

ford1 02-12-2012 12:17 PM

use a stainless steel bolt in the hole inside the water pump outlet, steel bolts in that location have a tendency to rust and can be a bear to remove, and as was stated becareful with the engine i would put a couple of bolts back in the pump till you have engine jacked up and firmly supported

John Kennedy 02-12-2012 01:11 PM

Wouldn't stainless gall and become a nightmare? Maybe I'm wrong............?

ford1 02-12-2012 01:24 PM

no it wont, every body uses them after they have tried to remove a steel bolt that has rusted and you cant get a socket on the head, you spend hours trying to make something to grab on to whats left of the head, every old mechanic has had that night mare

19Fordy 02-12-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kennedy (Post 362706)
Wouldn't stainless gall and become a nightmare? Maybe I'm wrong............?

No stainlesss bolts won't gall if you put plenty of anti seize compound on them. IDEA: First, run a die over the new stainless bolt threads just to "clean them up", if needed.

Bruce Lancaster 02-13-2012 05:21 PM

On the jacking...you pretty much have to jack against the pan. My opinion is that an old fat phonebook makes a soft and flexible pad, easier on the tin than wood.

ken ct 02-13-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster (Post 363724)
On the jacking...you pretty much have to jack against the pan. My opinion is that an old fat phonebook makes a soft and flexible pad, easier on the tin than wood.

Excellant idea Bruce,thank you. I always used a pc of wood. ken ct.:)

G.M. 02-13-2012 07:14 PM

I found a 2 X 6 about 10"s long across wide flat part of the pad with the wood under the part of the pan just at the point it drops down at the front. I have seen a few that got a big dent in them from jacking if not supported. You only have to jack the engine a 1/4" to get the pumps off. G.M.

Airrace 02-20-2012 11:27 AM

I wanted to first of all thank everyone for all there help. I removed the old water pumps this weekend and installed new Bob Drake water pumps and can't wait to see how they will operate. It easy easy thanks to all of your help!

Bill

Big Al 02-26-2012 05:20 PM

Hi,
after the old pump is removed, purchase a stainless steel bolt, cut the head off, rethread the cut off end. Now you have a stud. After applying anti seze, screw the stud in the block, slide the new pump on and secure the pump with a nut.
It is much easier to remove a nut than a rusted-in bolt the idea is, the nut is not exposed to the water in the coolng system.
Be advised that not all stainless steel hardware is really "stainless". Take a small magnet and see which "stainless" is really stainless? The one that is really stainless will not stick to your magnet.

Al

'stainless" nu