The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bad intake or carb (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248556)

Don 07-28-2018 10:39 AM

Bad intake or carb

Friend Bruce J called for help,41 pu 2 middle cyl on rt side truck and 5 & 8 on left are not doing anything,comp is good! Removed carb and it is squirting on both barrels, alsohave fire at all plugs,shorting out those 4 cyl has no effect on idle but nice spark is there,!!! I think the manifold is bad or a burn thru ...I rebuilt carb awhile back and checkout on a engine stand!,ran perfect.....any ideas?......?..He had a misfire before ,that’s why carb was redone, said he had no gas smell in oil!!!

Seth Swoboda 07-28-2018 11:13 AM

Re: Bad intake or carb

You may have some dirt in a jet. I had that happen when I was in Gettysburg a few years ago at an Eastern National meet. I had someone sit in the car and floor the accelerator and then I put the palm of my hand over the air horn on the carburetor. It sucked the dirt through and fixed the problem.

tubman 07-28-2018 11:16 AM

There was a thread on here a couple of years ago just about like this. It turned out to be that there was a hole burned through in the manifold from the intake passage to the exhaust heat passage. So it does happen.

Mart 07-28-2018 11:16 AM

Almost definitely - some sediment has found it's way into one of the main jets. I had it happen to me on my 33 coupe not longer after first getting it back running on the road.

Each side of the carb feeds the middle two cylinders on one side and the end two on the other.

Mart.

alanwoodieman 07-28-2018 11:27 AM

with it running and there was a hole thru the manifold there would be a terribly strong unburned gas odor coming out of the tail pipe

petehoovie 07-28-2018 12:23 PM

What Seth and Mart said above - Posts #2 & #4.....Had the same thing happen with my '37.....

rick r 07-28-2018 05:35 PM

Tub man is correct. Buddy had the same problem. Pull the manifold and have a look before tearing into the carb.

Bruce in southern OH 07-29-2018 07:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies, several people were asked yesterday evening at car cruise in the question Don asked at beginning, most said dirt in main jet. Will advise, Don has carb and will investigate this week. ( This is a cast iron intake )

RKS.PA 07-29-2018 08:47 AM

Bruce, if it turns out to be the manifold, I have a spare that I think will fit your engine. Let me know.

Regards....Dick.

scicala 07-29-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1656559)
You may have some dirt in a jet. I had that happen when I was in Gettysburg a few years ago at an Eastern National meet. I had someone sit in the car and floor the accelerator and then I put the palm of my hand over the air horn on the carburetor. It sucked the dirt through and fixed the problem.

To avoid a hickey on your palm, you can also use the choke plate to do this. LOL.

Sal

Bruce in southern OH 07-29-2018 12:40 PM

Sal, was thinking same thing, not good to have a blood clot!!

Hey Dick, I have been off the barn for a year or so, working on the Mustang and Model A cars, sold the 32 pickup to a local guy in Charleston, WV. Appreciate the offer on the intake, just don't see how it would completely shut down all four cylinders. Time will tell. Thank you to every one answering Don.

Bruce in southern OH 07-29-2018 12:43 PM

Sal, do you have a 9194 carb laying around for a 41 pickup truck engine???

Don 07-29-2018 07:54 PM

Have removed jets from carb,no dirt and clean as can be ,pulled emulsion tubes. Looked like new,one jet might have been a 1/4 turn loose,just have to give it a try think the intake should be looked at before putting carb back on

scicala 07-29-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH (Post 1656952)
Sal, do you have a 9194 carb laying around for a 41 pickup truck engine???

Bruce,

The only complete carb I have is an EAB 94, which is for a later year V8.

Charlie ny (Ford Barn member) may have what your looking for. I can also rebuild one for you when you find one.

Sal

Don 07-30-2018 07:03 PM

Bruce picked up carb this morning,and installed ,,,test drove,and reported problem solved,
Apparently when I removed jets and emulsion tube must have done something to correct problem,Bruce is happy and I’m relieved,,,,,,never to old to learn!!!!!

Bruce in southern OH 07-30-2018 07:58 PM

Thanks Don ( again ), does anyone have a flow diagram or information on the carbs so I can look flow and operation???

Seth Swoboda 07-31-2018 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don (Post 1657523)
Bruce picked up carb this morning,and installed ,,,test drove,and reported problem solved,
Apparently when I removed jets and emulsion tube must have done something to correct problem,Bruce is happy and I’m relieved,,,,,,never to old to learn!!!!!

Sounds like you had a plugged jet some where. It doesn't take much of a piece of dirt to throw things askew.

Seth Swoboda 07-31-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH (Post 1657550)
Thanks Don ( again ), does anyone have a flow diagram or information on the carbs so I can look flow and operation???

I'm not aware of such a diagram. If you take on of these carburetors apart and fill the bowl with mineral spirits, operate the accelerator pump and you can see the basic flow or what is happening inside. There is the idle circuit and then the power circuit for lack of better words. They are very simple carburetors.

Frank Miller 08-01-2018 07:16 AM

Just draining gas out of carb could have taken the piece of dirt with it. How clean is the rest of the system and is there a fuel filter?

Bruce in southern OH 08-01-2018 07:52 AM

New tank several years ago, straight into a Holley Fuel filter, to a Carter electric pump to carb. Clean filter, this carburetor was one we just installed on truck. New gaskets, cleaned, polished, you name it. Assembled like in a "clean room with electronics ". With this said it was a lesson learned, had everyone guessing. Appreciate all the help, as always, Bruce