The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1946 Ford Transmission (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29614)

FlatAddict 02-22-2011 08:26 AM

1946 Ford Transmission

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked up this 3 spd from a 46' Sedan and I was wondering if there is a popular floor shift coversion that has been used? Also, how do you set it to neutral on the bench? I think the shift arms are froze in the cover even though they are shiny and oiled up. Am I missing something?

Marv 02-22-2011 08:50 AM

Re: 1946 Ford Transmission

For one thing the transmission is locked in 2 gears now. It is in 2nd gear and reverse. If the shifter is set this way you will have to remove the shift lever and move the forks to line up your shifter. Someone else may be able to explain better. Marv

t-moss1 02-22-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flataddict (Post 165436)
i just picked up this 3 spd from a 46' sedan and i was wondering if there is a popular floor shift coversion that has been used? Also, how do you set it to neutral on the bench? I think the shift arms are froze in the cover even though they are shiny and oiled up. Am i missing something?

when i was a kid, i had a 47 ford, i wanted a floor shift so went to salvage yard, bought a empty floor case, trandsfered the gears, found a top and no more trouble. I didnt add anything either.

Marv 02-22-2011 08:56 AM

Sorry i forgot the answer. You will need to move the rear gear which is in reverse ahead about a inch. The front is in second gear and needs moved ahead 1 click which will center it and you will be able to hold the rear shaft and turn the front one. Marv

FlatAddict 02-22-2011 09:27 AM

Thanks for the info so far, but when I take the side cover off the arms on the outside still don't move.

Mac VP 02-22-2011 11:08 AM

For either shifter lever to move, at least one must be in its "neutral" position (which is the mid point detent for either lever). The interlock plunger inside the cover prevents one lever from moving unless the other is in neutral.

If you have both levers centered in their neutral positions, and neither one will rotate, either the shafts are frozen/rusted or something has somehow jammed in the detent interlock part inside the cover. I guess this could occur if one or both of the detent balls (3/8" dia) have popped out.

FlatAddict 02-22-2011 12:34 PM

Are the detent balls rougly the size of a ball bearing? When I opened the cover there was a tiny spring laying in there, someone could have messed with it.

rotorwrench 02-22-2011 02:31 PM

The original Hurst 3-speed shifter mechanism was designed after more than one young hot rodder designed there own floor shift mechanism to operate the side shift transmissions. I remember seeing these in an old early 50s Hot Rod magazine. It seems like there was an article in one of the Popular Mechanics magazines too. The three speed types evolved into the 4-speed shifter after they went into production.

Kerby

FlatAddict 02-22-2011 09:30 PM

So, I figured it out, got her into neutral and got the arms to move. They were a little seized up but a little persuasion loosened them up. I have a early Hurst shifter I am going to try out for the floor shift.

alanwoodieman 02-22-2011 09:39 PM

spring about 3/4" long and small ball are the pieces for a blocker syncronizer-3 of each of them-by the picture I beleive yours are missing. See the holes in the hub that holds the second/third shift collar. Should also be 3-short "blockers" that go there also

38 coupe 02-23-2011 09:39 PM

Two things worth mentioning. The 37-39 case and 40-52 pickup case already is a top shifter. Also, if you really have a 46 V8 transmission you have the lowest gears put into an early Ford car or light pickup transmission.

Vanspeed 02-23-2011 09:44 PM

Agree with 38 coupe, you have a nice gear set there, find a top loader case from a early v-8 and transplant the gears into the top loader case. I have used cases all the way down to 35's and they will handle it. My current trans in my model a is a 48 gear set in a 38 case, I love it.

Henry/Kokomo 02-23-2011 09:58 PM

I located a Hurst floorshift for the early Ford transmission WITH the proper brackets and linkage. They're not plentiful but they're out there. FYI - Hurst has a service whereby they'll rebuild the shifter to "as new" specs. Check their website. Good luck.

FlatAddict 02-24-2011 07:43 AM

I think I would need a book or a video on how to transplant gear sets! I know nothing about transmissions.

FlatAddict 02-24-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry/Kokomo (Post 166490)
I located a Hurst floorshift for the early Ford transmission WITH the proper brackets and linkage. They're not plentiful but they're out there. FYI - Hurst has a service whereby they'll rebuild the shifter to "as new" specs. Check their website. Good luck.

Just curious where you found the shifter?

Redhorse1947 02-24-2011 09:39 AM

Flataddict...if you want the BEST guide on flathead transmissions contact Mac VanPelt, Cincinnati, 800-299-7496. He has compiled a fantastic booklet that will provide you with all the information you will ever need. A few dollars WELL SPENT.

He is a contributor on the Fordbarn and his post is part of this thread.

cmbrucew 02-24-2011 11:32 AM

You may not know about transmissions now, but you will when you have finished yours. The learning process is half the fun.

works good
lasts long time

jerry grayson 02-24-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbrucew (Post 166690)
You may not know about transmissions now, but you will when you have finished yours. The learning process is half the fun.

works good
lasts long time

You are not fully initated into the old Ford fraternity until you can remove, rebuild and install a transmission in the dark on a gravel road by yourself!! GRIN GRIN

FlatAddict 02-24-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 165894)
spring about 3/4" long and small ball are the pieces for a blocker syncronizer-3 of each of them-by the picture I beleive yours are missing. See the holes in the hub that holds the second/third shift collar. Should also be 3-short "blockers" that go there also

So I took a closer look and they are all gone. Previous owner must have had it apart and "forgot" to put them back. I see Vanpelts has them, I am curious what the function of them is? Enlighten me:D

cmbrucew 02-24-2011 10:18 PM

You are not fully initated into the old Ford fraternity until you can remove, rebuild and install a transmission in the dark on a gravel road by yourself!! GRIN GRIN

I have gotten out of school, changed syncronizers, and made it to work on time.
White shirt and tie.
works good
lasts long time